Sign in to follow this  
syntheticgerbil

Rayman Price Gouger (Adventures in Grinding)

So Michel Ancel's new Rayman game is Rayman Adventures, for mobile devices only. Instead of being fun little romps like Fiesta Run and Jungle Run where you only pay up front, this one is some free to play stinking horse shit. The former mobile Rayman games were not directed by Ancel and were made by Ubisoft Casablanca, not Montpellier. You'd think after the greatness of Montpellier games like Rayman Legends and Valiant Hearts, they wouldn't put out this money hungry garbage.

First time disappointed in Ancel, besides that Beyond Good and Evil 2 is coming out never.

There's multiple ways this game gives diminishing returns. There's some nonsense with creatures who require food where you watch ads or pay money to get more. There's eggs the creatures come from that give random things or need or definite things you need if you pay money. There's a map layout that only tells you if your next set of levels will give you a new creature or not if you pay money for it to be revealed. There's a bunch of recycled skins from Rayman Legends that would be cool if they didn't cost the equivalent of 20 dollars each. You can eventually get gems by grinding and getting achievements, but the way it's going I don't think I'll have much to buy more than one or two of the cheaper costumes by the time I'm done. If it ends, I hope it does.

And the levels themselves feel way too loose and not anything as clever as Origins and Legends or the addictive simplistic linear fun of Jungle Run and Fiesta run. Instead you get these meandering levels where the game hopes you spend more money on food to get the creatures to actually make some of them fair. You can't replay them like the other Runs to get more goodies, one play only is necessary. It feels like these have been tooled to be way too easy to get people to keep spending instead of actual level design.

Very sad. I was somewhat excited this was coming because it's using a lot of unfinished assets and levels that were revealed in the Rayman Legends artbook, but then it was shown to be a free to play game and I was hoping it wasn't going to be too much of a gouger. Instead I see this thing where it pretty much wants you to spend way over what the game is worth to 100% everything.

Oh well, hope Wild is good.

Rayman Legends artbook?? When was that released?

Shame to hear that the game is shite, I doubt Ancel worked much on it since he is doing Wild pretty much fully now even though Ubisoft may say something else.

Yeah it's weird, he's credited at the very top in the credits as a director but it just doesn't seem like much thought was put into this outside of the artwork and animation. I know they say Ancel os doing part time at Ubisoft and then mostly focusing on his new company. I was hoping part time meant finishing Beyond Good and Evil 2, hah.

Oh, the artbook is not really big, it's a 48 page thing, almost exactly like the one released originally with Origins (in the US at least). As far as I know the Legends artbook only came with the first few hundred copies of this French History of Rayman book, which is just an art book itself for me, since I can't read French. :/

First time disappointed in Ancel, besides that Beyond Good and Evil 2 is coming out never.

Wait what? Did someone finally announce that it was or wasn't canceled?

Let's be honest here, Beyond Good & Evil 2 would end up being Generic Ubisoft Open-World Game: Science Fantasy Edition if it ever came out. There'd be towers across Hillys that you'd have to climb to uncover the map.

Just started playing last month BG&E for the second time in my life. I completed it 100% on PC, but since it came for PS3 in PS+ subscription I thought it would be nice to go through it again, this time on console.

Francis air hockey game is just impossible to beat for the pearl prize with the ps3 controller! :(

I have no hope left for BG&E2, Ubisoft just doesn't do cool risky games anymore.

I installed Rayman Adventures on my phone yesterday, 80MB download and then only the first intro level worked, after that it wanted to download something from Ubisoft's servers and the progress bar stayed at 0% for over an hour on both wifi and 3G connection so enough with this crap. They ruined Rayman on mobile.

Was it BG&E HD? I always had a much harder time on the races.

Yeah Rayman Adventures does this thing where it deletes previous level data from your phone/ipad and constantly downloads the next set of levels. It seems to fluctuate between 100-300 mb. I think this is maybe part of a requirement for Apple TV? But if you don't have an internet connection or if their servers are down you can't go to the next set of levels. Haha, it really is a mess.

Let's be honest here, Beyond Good & Evil 2 would end up being Generic Ubisoft Open-World Game: Science Fantasy Edition if it ever came out. There'd be towers across Hillys that you'd have to climb to uncover the map.

Oh god it would. God damnit Merus, you've crushed my dreams more thoroughly than any lack of news about the game.

Oh god it would. God damnit Merus, you've crushed my dreams more thoroughly than any lack of news about the game.

Trust me, it's better this way.