Udvarnoky

Full Throttle Remastered

18 minutes ago, Ben X said:

You can probably all guess what I think.

Speechless with adoration?

Pretty sweet! The close-up of Ben looked so smooth. It lends itself to an HD treatment quite well.

I don't like the logo in the end. The flames don't look great.

What is up with the thumbnail for the trailer? That looks terrible.

Trailer looks great, tho! The close-ups are especially fantastic. The line-width and general look of the in-game Ben looks weird to me, but I can live with it.

From the sounds of it those SMUSH action scenes powered by Rebel Assault technology were pretty hacky under the hood.  I bet it was a nightmare to update that stuff.

I hope DF releases a desktop wallpaper and mobile wallpapers again for Full Throttle like they did for DoTT and Grim Fandango.

I still use the green and purple tentacles as my mobile wallpapers. Those were just really perfect for phones.

I'm vaguely disappointed that the remaster is going to be faithful because I think Full Throttle could do with a little monkeying. The action sequences are a little clunky and frustrating, and I'm sure everyone would appreciate the wall-kick puzzle to give better feedback.

Whaaaat! This is the first time I heard about Full Throttle remastered! I'm clearly following the wrong news outlets!

22 hours ago, Merus said:

I'm vaguely disappointed that the remaster is going to be faithful because I think Full Throttle could do with a little monkeying. The action sequences are a little clunky and frustrating, and I'm sure everyone would appreciate the wall-kick puzzle to give better feedback.

What I've heard is that they are going to fix the wall kicking puzzle. I'm sure the remaster will be great. A lot of love is being poured into the project.

Apparently the remaster includes a recreation of a magazine demo for the game because it features unique dialog and Tim wanted all of Roy Conrad's voicework preserved in high quality.  Awesome.

I respect Tim's policy that the remasters should be headed up by the original team leads, but it's kind of devastating to think that this will be the last one after Double Fine has built this pipeline and forged this valuable relationship with Disney.  I hope serious consideration has been given to reaching out to Hal Barwood, Brian Moriarty, etc. and inviting them to take advantage of these hard-earned resources for their own restorations.  If Double Fine currently has the ability to scour the Lucas vaults, we should not assume that access is indefinite.

I would hope Disney would let Tim remaster the first two Monkey Island games properly and bring Ron Gilbert in now that Thimbleweed Park is finishing.

Monkey 2 was ok, but Monkey 1 was just absolutely horrible, except the voice acting was fine, but graphically those remasters were really cheap. Can't even imagine how bad the Lucasarts made DoTT remaster looked like. Thankfully that got cancelled so Double Fine could make it properly.

I can't picture a faithful remaster of The Secret of Monkey Island or Loom in the same sense as DoTT or Full Throttle. There's a different visual language to the earlier games, whereas once the games started to resemble cartoon animation (like the latter two, and Sam & Max), you can see the technical room for improvement. It's okay to tidy up the large character sprites with jagged outlines and make DoTT feel more like a Tex Avery cartoon, because that's what it was aiming for in the first place.

What does an improved version of Mark Ferrari and Steve Purcell's 256-colour backgrounds, or a higher resolution Guybrush sprite, really look like? Any update of this just inevitably ends up being a perversion of it that misses it by a country mile. Obviously MI2 original background art like this is beautiful, and it'd be lovely to see that in a game, but that's only part of the puzzle. MI2 Special Edition approximated those paintings with varying success, but I thought the character design and animation was horribly contrived and literal.

Those remakes sort of consolidated my thoughts about how it was a thankless task to attempt such remasters - even if they hadn't put a foot wrong (and they did that plenty) I doubt we'd want to revisit them. I'd love to see some examples of what the ideal remaster would look like, because maybe it's just my lack of imagination - but really I think the early games thrived on the gap that your imagination filled in for you.

Thinking beyond remasters, I'm hoping that the healthy Double Fine/Disney relationship means that maybe Tim will get a chance to use his characters again when he feels like it. I doubt there will be a Grim or Full Throttle sequel or spin-off any time soon, but that's so much more likely than it was a couple of years ago.

Yes, but I would love to have for example commentary track of The Secret of Monkey Island from all the original team since that was not done in the Lucasarts special edition. Also to have some sort of old concept art viewer would be excellent as well. Also possibility to play with original graphics and the new voices would be fun, that's not even possible in the Lucasarts made Special edition, they only fixed it for the second one...

They really messed up the first special edition at Lucasarts and that annoys me too much since that's my favourite adventure game of all time. The original second Monkey Island is a great game overall, but not as great as the first one was for me.

Boy oh boy, did they make a pig's ear of that Special Edition. I couldn't play it for more than an hour, I was so aggravated by the control scheme and the art style.

The very existence of the monkey island remasters annoys me, in that they're the most likely way anyone new to those games is going to experience them. And they're so much worse, especially the first one.

I agree with Simon, though, that the root of the problem is redrawing/"remastering" the visuals of those games is a bad idea, even if you "do it well". You could in theory do a modern remake of MI1 that looked better than the original while staying true-enough, if you let yourself take the right liberties. Doing so with MI2 would be insulting: that game already looked amazing.

It feels depressingly appropriate that a company with Lucas in its name would produce the remasters that we got.