Jutranjo

[DevLog] The Whey of Tyromancy

I've decided I want to make a game about wizards, cheeses and puns. After what I've learned from the previous jam, I've decided not to try 3D yet.

After a few nights of trying to get a 2D platformer to work, dinosaurssssssssssssss gave me a link to https://github.com/prime31/CharacterController2D which I'll be using to cheat in the jam. This does everything that I tried to make so far, like making the character not get stuck on walls when he moves into them mid air and an upper limit on speed that's consistent in the air and on the ground. I got a slight handle on animations now and thankfully someone else is making those. My brother's helping me by making all the graphics and animation. Here's 2 gifs of the shitty cheese wizard idling and walking.

post-33965-0-84520900-1449276200.gif

post-33965-0-25033200-1449276201.gif

The animations look much better in game, they're smaller there!

Planned features: Levels, puns, cheese shapeshifting, a story, sprites/textures, a boss named after the most evil cheese

Dream features: A story, a hidden waluigi pachinko parlor, the moon

Played it, found the secret without your spoiler! Not much there, obviously, but I liked the presentation and found the cloud intriguing. Would like to see more!

Jut, i really like your animations! My wiz fell off the edge of the world. The end!

This was really cute and fun. The textures used (pictures of stone, etc) along with the squiggly animations were kind of jarring, but I kind of liked -- I think this sort of look could be honed to something really intriguing. I like the squiggly animations a lot and the controls were really good. I had fun! I even kept going to the right to watch the endless snow for a lot longer than I imagine you intended... it never ended!

I found a cool bug, if you hold down and press up you will get launched into the air. It's sweet, you can explore more of the non existent secrets.

Also: Game breaking bug, if it isn't at 60 FPS the physics doesn't work right. It won't let you fall down white platforms so try windowed if it's acting weird like moving too fast down the ramp.

The animations are very charming. I'm not sure what my goals were, but the cloud helped me scale the wall and jump off the level so I guess that's a win!