Moosferatu

Psychonauts 2

Then explain the Full Throttle 3D plans?!

on second thought, might be best not to

Genuine ignorance here: is there some entity (man or company) with the name "Lucas" that still owns some of these properties? Or is it all Disney now?

AFAIK, Disney has the rights to all of LucasArts' games. I recall Double Fine saying that they negotiated with Disney to get rights for the remastered versions of Grim Fandango and DOTT.

Genuine ignorance here: is there some entity (man or company) with the name "Lucas" that still owns some of these properties? Or is it all Disney now?

I have no idea if I should call it Lucasarts, Lucasfilm, or just Disney. Sorry!

If I recall correctly there's no Disney branding on Grim Fandango Remastered and it still starts with the LucasArts logo. So I'm not sure what you'd call it even though in the end it's still Disney.

If I recall correctly there's no Disney branding on Grim Fandango Remastered and it still starts with the LucasArts logo.=

This is a good point. I guess it's all just branding at this point, and there's no point trying too hard to "get it right".

If you scroll down to the logos at the bottom of Double Fine's Grim and DOTT sites, it looks like Disney is using "Lucasfilm" rather than "LucasArts" as the licensor.  Makes sense -- if it only serves as a clearing house now, there's little point in breaking it up into different labels.

The Lucasfilm web site was redesigned at one point to reflect the fact that they've swept up all their properties under the single parent name.  Hilariously, the screenshot they use for the Sam & Max franchise toward the bottom of the games page comes from Telltale's game.  Whoops!

Haha, whoops indeed. Perhaps they felt that their cancelled Freelance Police game wasn't up to snuff for a screenshot. They could have Max holding the head from Hit the Road.

Although Lucasfilm/Arts/Disney does not own the rights to Sam and Max, Steve Purcell does.

Wow, Psychonauts 2! Sequel to one of my favorite games. I'd back, if Fig supported some outlandish payment options such as "Pal of Pay", because once again, Dutch folk don't do credit cards.

I'm going into this with just the same amount of expectation as I did with Broken Age or anything else that sounds like a good idea. The thing is, Double Fine hasn't really impressed me since Brütal Legend. I've found their smaller games either enjoyable (Broken Age, Stacked) or kind of plain and not fun (Iron Brigade). It seems that I do expect some level of insane ambition to their games, or my interest goes down quickly. In that respect, Psychonauts 2 seems right up there as a big big game.

But, really, 2020 (the actual release date, surely), is still so far off that it feels incredibly academic to even think about this game yet. I'm putting it on the same pile of things that I know I'll be enthused about in a few years from now, but will certainly not get hyped before. There's just no use.

(But, Psychonauts 2!)

though Lucasfilm/Arts/Disney does not own the rights to Sam and Max, Steve Purcell does.

There would have been nothing untoward about them showing a Hit the Road asset though.  The Telltale games literally have nothing to do with LucasArts.  Even a screenshot from Tales of Monkey Island would have made some degree of sense; that game wears a Lucas logo by virtue of the fact that they licensed the property out.

I thought Notch was paying for this.

They mention in the pitch video that a chunk of their funding is coming from an investor (singular, unnamed), I wouldn't be surprised if that was Notch.

If you're talking about the original "Notch funds Psychonauts" thing a year or two ago, he backed off when he realized it was more of $20 million investment than $2 million one.

Yeah, Tim has also said it's not Notch. Here's some elaboration on the anonymous investor from the Polygon article:

But Schafer does have another funding partner, a person or group that he says is in the game industry, but not traditionally a publisher. And, for right now, they wish to remain anonymous.

"It's not Notch," Schafer told Polygon. "It's really hard to not sound shady when you have these things you can't say, these certain numbers or whatever. And I don't want to be shady about it. It's just that I have other people's interests that I am not at liberty to violate. So, I'm just trying to talk carefully."

All Schafer can say is that the amount they're willing to contribute to the project has already been locked in.

There would have been nothing untoward about them showing a Hit the Road asset though.  The Telltale games literally have nothing to do with LucasArts.  Even a screenshot from Tales of Monkey Island would have made some degree of sense; that game wears a Lucas logo by virtue of the fact that they licensed the property out.

Yeah for sure. I'm going to guess someone wanted to post a Hit the Road screenshot, felt it was too lofi and then typed Sam and Max game on google.

Also the investor is John Romero!

Or it's not.

It wouldn't surprise me if it was someone associated with Microsoft who felt bad about how Double Fine were treated.

What about Steven Dengler? He was an/the investor in prior Double Fine games.

Also, I'm in. I love Psychonauts.

What about Steven Dengler? He was an/the investor in prior Double Fine games.

Also, I'm in. I love Psychonauts.

I think if it was Dengler, he would be open about it like he was with the previous DF projects. He would not want to stay in the shadows as he is a fan himself of DF's work.

Yeah, I am a sucker for Psychonauts. Already dumped money in there - not sure whether I need a sequel but I would feel dirty if I did not fund. Simiarly to Shemue III, it is something that a much younger self wanted so I would feel bad if I didn't commit cash.

You can pay by PayPal...

http://www.psychonauts.com

Backed it straight away. Sure, the cheapest tier (39 Continental Rupees), but that's fine. Psychonauts meant a lot to me when it came out and every single time I replay it, there's more to discover and another boost of charm.

Does no-one feel kind of bummed that DF will be stuck in the past for at least the next five years if they are making this and then Brutal Legend 2? 

Ubi said we'd get Beyond Good & Evil 2 if we bought Rayman, but fortunately Double Fine is NOT Ubisoft, so it's not such a massive "if", DF probably actually has intention of making Brutal Legends 2.

Why launch this in December, when many people need their money for the holidays? I guess they had to have it all ready for the PSX?