atte

[Release] Dishonored Winter Solstice

One week before the shortest day of the year, the Wizard sneaks into a hidden underground temple in search of arcane wisdom and cosmic visions...

I'm making a 2D exploration platformer, there's going to be somekind of action happening too so it's overall pretty Metroidy. Here's a wip of the game world (this is 25% of the actual size):

post-26597-0-57492800-1449092146_thumb.png

The world is a single continuous space (one room in gamemaker), here's a gif (featuring the Wizard from the last jam) showing how the view movement changes in different sized areas. It would be nicer if the view would slide smoothly into the next position but this is good enough for now.
post-26597-0-33421700-1449092182.gif
For the platforming movement/collisions I'm using code by Zack Bell so the game feel is really nice but I hope I don't accidentally break anything as his code is way beyond my very basic programming skills.

I'll write about the gameplay, design decisions and general inspirations sometime later (writing is hard!) but here's a summary of the story for now:
The underground temple is a place where various beings go to sleep and have mystical visions. The Wizard is for some reason not invited so he secretly accesses the place and wanders around gathering glimpses of the visions floating in those dusty ancient halls.

post-26597-0-96160500-1449260466_thumb.png

post-26597-0-31702800-1449260503.gif

Thanks thanks! I've done a lot of rethinking and redesigning (which means mainly playing Ducktales on emulator...) in this project but I'm sure I'll get something ready for the end of the jam. Here's some areas with final(ish) graphics.

post-26597-0-11254300-1449974591_thumb.png

post-26597-0-87398300-1449975085_thumb.png post-26597-0-76149400-1449974621_thumb.png

Oh man, those barrels look straight out of Ducktales!! (thought that even before I read the words)

Really ambitious taking on a metroidvania for a jam but it looks like you've got it well planned out and are executing well. Best of luck!

Here it is http://atteo.itch.io/dws , like my last Wizard Jam project: too big idea for a jam, no sound and full of rushed design - buut you can play through it and I had fun making it.

You can fully play it only with a controller for now (X/square - shoot magic, R1 - Leave hat/Teleport) so I'm going to fix the keyboard controls at least and then think about if I'd like to continue developing it.

I enjoyed the feeling of exploration here, and the hat trick is intriguing. I couldn't really figure out what I was supposed to be doing, though, if anything. There seemed to be systems going on but I couldn't work them out. I think I managed to light some torches...

I wasn't able to figure out much with what i was supposed to be doing. I could hit the bubbles but they either hit a brick and died or hit the ground and did nothing. But your pixel art is on point, and I love how big the dungeon feels. Really evokes a lot in my mind.

I enjoyed the feeling of exploration here

But your pixel art is on point, and I love how big the dungeon feels. Really evokes a lot in my mind.

That is really nice to hear, I spent most of the time drawing and designing the world so all the action/progression stuff ended up being really half-baked (or maybe some weird dough with ingredients missing). I uploaded a new version of the game with some small tweaks and fixes: http://atteo.itch.io/dws

And here's the full final/current map:

post-26597-0-46876400-1450433483_thumb.png