PileOfMeatballs

[Dev Log] The Jasper Principle

Greetings all,

In the spirit of the "Tone Control" diversifier, I’m making a Stanley Parable inspired game with reactive narration modeled on the nihilistic and defeatist world view of Nick Breckon.     

Since my game design experience is limited to a couple of twine games, I’m keeping things as simple as possible.  

I’m making it in Twine but I’m having some trouble with the HTML5 <audio> tag. When I load the "published" .html file into Chrome, it will only play the first second of the voice over before it stops playing.  Audio files are in the same folder as the exported .html file. Problem is the same in Chrome and Firefox.  I tried the tags in a clean html file and the audio played just fine so I assume the <audio> tag is causing Twine to have a stroke.  I’d appreciate any suggestions on how to deal with this.  

<audio autoplay>

<source src="voiceover.mp3" type="audio/mpeg">

<source src="voiceover.ogg" type="audio/ogg">

</audio>

Thanks for your input.

Thom

Sounds interesting!

I don't know anything about Twine, but I know HTML5 hates audio files longer than 4 minutes if they aren't being streamed. Maybe that has something to do with it? Just shooting in the dark here.

Thanks for the response.  I was actually just testing out twine with the audio tag and a short file (10 secs) when I ran into the problem so I don't think it's the length.  But I appreciate the feedback. 

All I can say is good luck! It sounds like you understand programming a bit more than me, but I tried to incorporate audio into Twine for the last Wizard Jam and could never get it to work.

This is simultaneously exactly what I'd hoped it would be, and nothing like I thought it would be.

A door wearing a G-string is now one of my new favorite mental images. Also, I'm just going to put this out there, the use of a English accent to portray Nick Breckon's worldview is a great callback to the reader who thought that Spaff & Nick Breckon sound the same.

:tup:  :tup:  :tup:  :tup:  :tup:

Thanks!

The accent was primarily me biting on the glow of The Stanley Parable, but I hoped someone might connect it with the Nick/Spaff thing, as my British accent is "mediocre". 

Dat ending doe... and after I made sure I heard every piece of dialogue on the other walls... god damn you.