Chasterson

defaulttidus

N1njasquirrel

Audio

coods

Production

elvaq

Dinosaursssssss

For the winter wizard jam, we will be building Winter Wizard Pro Skater (tentative title), a 2D ice skating game about a wizard who builds sick ramps for himself to do tricks off. I believe we will be using the 'focused palette' diversifier, and probably no others.

We're be using Trello for task tracking, Git to host the game source, and Slack to miscommunicate.

Director's Commentary can just be a raw dump of the slack at the end of the process. Good luck:D

Lots of fun design discussions over the weekend and we're pretty close to nailing our core gameplay... action racer like Excitebike or Joe Danger, where you are switching between lanes to avoid obstacles and do sweet jumps off ramps of various angles and lengths. Adding some extra wizardy fun with the ability to create your own ramp and use a turbo boost to catch even more air. Ramp creation and turbo will work off the same resource bar, which can be refilled by pulling tricks in mid-air. Nice, simple meaningful choice there and it will give us something to balance and work towards.

Our ambitious plan is to get that level creator working with file reading/writing so people can share tracks to the forums. We'll see how far we get after next weekend, I think that'd be a lot of fun and ticks the diversifer box nicely!!

Programming and art have gotten off to a start as well, behold our first gif:

wiz.gif

Very excited to keep ploughing through on this. Next up... physics!

Man, wizardy Excitebike with a track editor sounds really cool. Good luck to the whole team!

Looks like I've done my terrible job updating the devlog again! Classic producer/programmer style. It's pretty hard finding time with a full-time job getting in the way (not to mention upgrading to an SSD and reinstalling everything over the weekend), but we are still making progress and set for a rollicking finish. The last bits of game jams are the most stressful but also a whole ton of fun. Looking forward to a weekend of intermingled panic and joy.

And look! Here is proof of our progress! PHYSICS!!!

wiz4test.gif

(Sorry for artifacting, export was done with GIMP due to aforementioned fresh Windows install)

Physics gave me a lot of headaches but I don't anticipate too many more Very Hard problems before the end, just a large array of tiny problems.

Which reminds me, if anyone wants to make a level editor, we would still really love to do one. I know the timeline is short but the data container is completely set up for it and the design/features are almost entirely specced out. I think it'd be a ton of fun to make so if no one emails/slacks/pms me or dinosaursssss I'd definitely like to have a crack at it post-jam.

Took a sick day from work yesterday and pounded out a bunch of gameplay features and implemented some awesome new background art...

wiz6.gif

Today's all about menus so far. Here's the preliminary title menu:

title2.PNG

Next up is getting the level select working (as well as, uh, creating some levels). Hopefully tomorrow will just be about polishing the gameplay and adding little bits of juice wherever possible.

Feeling a lot more optimistic than I did at the start of the week!!

Getting down to the wire now and we've still got a lot of basics to implement. Thankfull, the core gameplay is all there so we should be able to get most, if not all, of our current list in.

Have also run into a few extra-special Last Day of Jam challenges with persistent Unity crashes while implementing animation (we upgraded to 5.3, super wise!), and my kitchen catching on literal, actual fire a few minutes ago.

Here's a gif of our current gameplay status, animations and effects are comin in hot:

wiz8.gif

Can't wait to design & implement more than one level, we've actually got two more awesome sets of backgrounds that need hooking up