Sign in to follow this  
Brett E

[Dev Log] The Sorcerer's Egress

This is my design so far:

Genre(s)/Themes: Goofy

Visual Style: Stylised/cartoony

Story/Premise/Pitch: The player is in pursuit of a rogue wizard, this wizard has the ability to fly and to create magical doors, combining these powers the wizard will create doors in hard to reach places and fly through them to evade capture.

As an officer of the MCPD (Magic City Police Department) the player character has some some abilities, they can manipulate gravity in localised areas. This skill makes them uniquely equipped to catch this particular magical felon.

Game: Third person, probably confined to rooms. Change the direction of gravity to create routes to the magic doors and progress to the next area. Objects all have physics so changing the gravity will move the objects around. Some features of the rooms will be fixed so rotation will reposition objects to allow traversal between fixed and non-fixed objects.

Progress update: You can move, jump and look around, which took me most of yesterday to do, something that would probably take a real coder all of 30 minutes tops :)

Also I made this to help the player see how they're going to change gravity but I'm not sure if it's the right approach yet, maybe it's over-complicating it and some sort of arrow would be better.

Gimbal_01.gif

Thanks guys :)

Progress update: I have the gravity changing working, sort of... 

You can rotate the gimbal and set the direction, it's a bit crude at the moment but it works. There's some strange bug to iron out but I want to get re-orientation of the player in next then I'll get gravity changing working fully.

I'm currently thinking that maybe it's the arrow that should rotate instead of the gimbal, it currently makes a certain amount of sense for someone like me that spends a lot of time in 3D programs but that's not most people. Also there's the question of world and local space, you could make the arrow point in one direction and the gravity change to a totally different one, perhaps it should point in the world direction and be unaffected by local rotation, a bit like a compass. 

Many things to consider but I'll focus on getting the main systems working before I worry too much about that.

I agree with your assessment regarding the arrows direction. Good video though, definitely shows what you're going for.

Yeah the gimbal is just not intuitive, I'll change it when the gravity change and reorientation is working.

I'm gonna take a break from code, hopefully I'll have more success with code at the weekend.

Now I need to decide on the visual style, something I hadn't put much thought it. I'll probably go with something stylised and simplistic so I can get a decent number of things done in time

Update: I didn't make much progress with the art, I think anything more than boxes is going to be too ambitious given the time limitations. I won't be able to do much on it next weekend so I'm going to focus on getting a relatively stable prototype with one or two puzzles.

On a more positive note, re-orientation is working, sort of... :)