riadsala

Distant Worlds - taking te plunge

Hello,

I'm might tempted to pick up Distant Worlds Universe in the sale. Does anybody else here play this, and can anybody offer any advice on how to get started? Are there good tutorials? I remember Fraser offering some advice on one of the podcasts.

Sorry I can't be any help, but I'll give this a bump... I bought Distant Worlds Universe in an earlier sale, tried to play it and couldn't get traction. Definitely down for any advice too...

I think the advice was either (1) Start by automating everything and just controlling a single ship, then slowly roll back the automation as you get more comfortable; or (2) turn off all automation and take the plunge. 

I played it years ago, and I found that it helped to be very mindful about what I automated and what I didn't.  

Sorry I had a pretty good guide at one point but evidently did not keep the link. It fell into the 'automate lots and then scale it back' side of things.

In the end the time investment to understand/get good at the game was too much for me. Its still install, just.. I can't be bothered investing hours to understand what to do again to play it.

Also - pirates! Bloody awful.