dibs

[RELEASE] Winter Jam Along with Dibs and Friends

Game Released:

http://dibkins.itch.io/winter-jam-along-with-dibs-and-friends

:)

Ok, so I'm making a music toy in Gamemaker. You will play a theremin and some drums along with my rendition of winter songs. It will be amazing.

Features to include (probably, i dunno):

- Mouse driven Theramin!

- Sick Beatz!

- Familiar songs performed in terrible, terrible acapella!

- A plethora body (formerly mouth) derived noises!

Work to date (08-12-2015):

Added in instrument selector and will extend to theremin and song selector once i have more sounds to put in. The last big code block i intend to add is for secrets. if i can i'll add a save/load function, but don't hold your breath!

The main game will all be me, but for super secret password unlocked Easter Christmas Eggs, i need community submissions.

If anyone wants to contribute, please send a .wav file of your sound to dibkins at gmail.com, selected from the list below. Alternatively, see the 2nd list. All sounds should be derived from your body somehow, the vibrating of lips or sphincter, the crackling of vocal chords, or the rasp of tongue - use your imagination. The sound doesn't have to be great quality, we are talking major amateur hour with this. If you want to do some after effects on your sound go ahead, but nothing major, keep it recognizably organic.

Sounds I need:

Percussive beats - keep it short. You can send many samples in a single wav and i'll select one.

A winter/Christmas song with no backing or music - keep it between 20 and 40s, you can send me your own composition if you want! Or like Jingle Bells

A continuous hum/note/whistle/bleeeep for ~5 seconds at a steady pitch.

Alternatively design some art:

A percussive instrument with associated beat if you wish! (Current ones are on 128*128 pixel grids)

A backing skin for a theremin (size tbc).

Immediate To Do:

Drum/song/theramin voice Selection Interfaces

Add in more of art that is drawn

Previous Updates:

Work to date (29-11-2015):

Got drums in along with framework to add more.

Main screen is pretty much working fully now. Might add a back button.

Work to date (29-11-2015):

Got theremin chords working.

Added extra drum sounds and triggers.

Work to date (28-11-2015):

Theremin chords should be working, but they only play a minor 3rd and not either of the the other notes i want, despite the code being identicle.

2 Drums added along with framework to easily add more.

Intended To Do:

Work on getting slight blip out of Theremin sound.

Theremin Chords - fix

Drum Selection Interface

Theremin Selection Interface

Song Selection Interface

Collect sounds

Make drumbeats

Make all art

Secrets interface

Splash screens, credits etc.

Pizzaz

Everything Else

Long To Do:

Save and load files.

Something I can't remember right now

Just to let you know, I'm working on a noise. I haven't quite figured out how best to record it yet, but I'm feeling pretty good about my noise.

I accept no responsibility for harm caused during recording.

No rush:) As long as i get them by the middle of next week i'm sure it will be fine!

I'm trying out some art ideas for my game. I think i'll do icons like the following on a sketchpad and then scan them in.

slack_for_ios_upload_1024.jpg

Thanks clyde:) I have pretty much zero skills, but i'm very proud of a few of the icons!

Also, update with some art in!

Added in instrument selector and will extend to theremin and song selector once i have more sounds to put in. The last big code block i intend to add is for secrets. if i can i'll add a save/load function, but don't hold your breath!

I've only got a few submissions so far, so please if you get a change record a wav and send it to me! It is super easy and you will be immortalized inside my shitty game!

I haven't updated as i have a cold, but if anyone has any more contribs please get them into me asap!

You are a talent indeed!

Anyone else got some please get them in asap. I'm finishing up the game atm with placeholder art and filling it all in tomorrow!

No more tones btw, i don't have time to work with the theramin^^ Beatz and choonz more than welcome though!

Ok, final art is drying. Code only needs one small addition. Tomorrow i photo all my art, fix it up in GIMP and we are ready to go!

Happy wiz jam everyhone! Woo.

Greatly enjoyed the art style!  While it took a bit of learning, by the time I was done I felt i was able to command the powerful instruments at hand to compose truly festive holiday jams!  Glad to be counted amongst the friends of Dibs!

This is so charming dibs. Had a good laugh at the sound effects and the theramin is genuinely super cool.