clyde

Rainbow Six: Siege

So I've gotten back into Rainbow Six: Siege and it continues to be a really special competitive game. They are still adding operators and maps every few months. Maps are completely free; operators require grinding or money. They just released the 25th and 26th operator about two months ago. We are scheduled to get 2 more I believe (and one more map).

r6_post_blog_timeline.jpg?b545a8

There is currently a "Starter Edition" available for PC on UPlay for $15. It requires more grinding, but individual operators can be bought for real-money credits too. People seem to complain about the grinding, but it seems like a solid deal to me. Here is the FAQ on how the "Starter Edition" works.

Anyway, I was playing today and we had a few great moments. At one point it was a super tense one-on-one and my team was defending. With 15 seconds left the attacker had to rush into the room and we were all waiting for it to happen (you watch your team when you die). So We can only see the top of the doorway because our dude is laying on his back waiting. We hear him run in, saw their hat for a split-second and then they disappeared through a hole in the floor someone had blown open. It was super funny. So I updated my nVidia software and set it to record the last 5 minutes of play because I really would have enjoyed saving that moment. Didn't get that one, but I was able to save a few rounds were I was super good. Here is one where I do pretty well as Frost on defense. It should give you a good idea of what half of the matches play like. If you are wearing headphones, notice how I am listening for attackers by turning my gaze and using stereo-hearing.

Last night three players left the match. I didn't hear one complaint, we all just finished the game. There is something I really enjoy about this video. I'll include the explainer I put  up on Facebook,

Here is a video of me playing a shootie-shootie game called Rainbow Six: Siege which is branded as somehow related to Tom Clancy. I'm playing with and against REAL people. One of them uses their microphone in the video. The character I am playing as is named "Ash". She is an F.B.I. agent. She has a gun that can shoot a big bullet that bores into a wall, door, window, or shield and then BLOWS IT UP! She only has two of them each round though.
Our objective in this round was to enter a building and do something or kill the entire enemy team. Teammates can be seen through walls. One of the ways we can communicate with each other quickly is to put up little yellow way-points that can be seen by each other through walls.

Rainbow Six: Siege is having a free weekend right now through Steam.

Having some understanding of the maps is crucial for multiplayer, so I recommend starting with either Situations or Terrorist Hunt to get a lay of the land.

I have the game through UPlay, so I'm not sure how to meet up, but I would be willing to play with y'all.

I've played 120 hours, so if anyone has questions I would love to provide answers. I really enjoy this game a lot.

Best shooter i've played in years, has quite a steep learning curve but once you get it its hard going back to other shooters.

On 2016-11-08 at 1:47 PM, clyde said:

Here is a video of me playing a shootie-shootie game called Rainbow Six: Siege which is branded as somehow related to Tom Clancy

I think Rainbow Six is one of the few Tom Clancy-titles that is actually based on one of his pre-video game fame work. Only the first game is directly connected to his work though, as far as I am aware.

I got the year2 season-pass because I still hadn't unlocked 4 operators from the last season and it was totally worth $30 for me to get the next eight operators upon release. As a bonus, I got enough credits to purchase an operator with the season-pass and so having three new-to-me operators and a two recently released maps relit the R6Siege fire in me. 

I had 3 boosters that I never used from when I first got the game and so this weekend I activated one of them for an xp-binge. I think I played about 10 hours of the game yesterday (it was super fun) and I'm close to unlocking one of two operators I still don't have. I tend to think that the boosters are kinda gross, but now that I've used one, I think they do have an appeal. On a day off when I want to just play the shit out of R6S anyway, I can activate a booster and double my xp for 24 hours which makes playing the game all day feel like an event.

I doubt I'll buy boosters, but I thought it was a neat opportunity to see the appeal when I get 3 of them for free.

Rainbow 6 Siege continues to be a game of frequent amazing play, not always performed by me. I choke a lot, but it's fun.

I've been enjoying this in a really low key way that surprised me.

I'm not even a high enough level to play ranked, but it's a pretty good game.

Picked up the game when it went on sale couple weeks back. Man are people good at this game. Had to really learn how much my guy would poke out of cover at any given moment to survive more than ten seconds. First shooter I've played in maybe ever where leaning all the time is this mandatory.

9 hours ago, clyde said:

I've never played a ranked game.

Do you have any favorite operators?

I am into Frost at the moment, its so fun placing the mats in creative spots and catching people. I also like the newer operators like Hibana and Mira.

1 hour ago, thenexus6 said:

I am into Frost at the moment, its so fun placing the mats in creative spots and catching people. I also like the newer operators like Hibana and Mira.

I like Frost a lot too. I've won a lot of 1v1 situations while dead. On defense, I tend to use Frost, Kapkan, Mira, or Mute. Mute is probably my favorite defense operator because I like to guarantee a safe spot in a room I'm defending. I also really enjoy those moments where I deny all the drones access to the objective at the beginning of the match.

On attack, Hibana has pretty much replaced Thermite for me. I don't enter the objective room unless I absolutely have to and Hibana allows me to subvert the orientation of the defense that the defenders have created with their reinforcements, without allowing them to rush me. I also use Twitch a lot. I opened a Mira window with my Twitch drone last night and that was exciting for me. The rest of my team died while I was fucking around, but I took one of them out before the other four got me.

25 minutes ago, Badfinger said:

I like mute and ash, because those are the characters I've been able to afford to unlock

What version do you have? I thought that even the starter-pack gives you 4 operators to work with when you first start.

Also, I'm curious if there are any particular operators you want to unlock next.

I ended up getting Buck because it was faster for knocking out this week's bonus challenges. FYI press Shift+F2  and click on "Challenges" while waiting for loading or when dead or whatever. Arm some challenges for bonus XP. Those extra 250's add up, let me tell ya.
Anyway, the real reason I wanted to post is because of the match I posted below. I hate people like me, but boy it was fun.
Video won't be available for a few hours, but I'm going to bed and I couldn't wait to post.

I played this at launch, but fell off after about a month due to rampant hacking in competitive. 

Is that still an issue, or did Ubisoft defy everyone's expectations and actually address the cheating problems in one of their games?

I don't know the current state of things because I play on PS4. But to my knowledge they did implement some third party anti-cheating system that is apparently working well. 

I'm glad this game is back into my rotation. 

Last night I played a few really well-balanced matches and I noticed that tge other team had a very effective strategy against Jackal. Two roamers together, the one who isn't being tracked camps a spot while the roamer who is being tracked just runs past them. So as Jackal, I'm thinking that the roamer is still two rooms away because that's where they were just pinged, and I'm not at all prepared for the ambush.

Worked really well against me.

I have been playing badly the last few days, but still jump on every day to chip away at the challenges. Just updating the game now (PS4) then i'm going on to see the bugs!

I now have a full collection of G.I. Joes!

Does ps4 have the Ubisoft Club challenges too? We get some weekly challenges along with the typical ones and it has really helped me earn credits way faster.

Edited by clyde