clyde

Rainbow Six: Siege

Is anyone else playing the beta? I like it a lot. I haven't seen anything as innovative as this in the millions of dollars, multiplayer-competitive, team-based shooter genre since Titanfall. I'm still rather clumsy at it, but I'm starting to get an idea of where the entrances to the rooms are. I've unlocked IQ and Pulse and have very little understanding of how their abilities work. My favorite part of the game is when I'm breaching with four teammates.

I am playing the beta. I played a pretty decent chunk in the previous "actual" betas, both closed and open. It's a very, very interesting game. It's nice to see more than three maps now! I love the tight and tuned package, this is exactly the kind of tactical shooter I get into. I just wonder if all of that adds up to be worth $60 for me personally.

Who are you favorite defenders and attackers?

I really like Thermite and I tend to use Mute.

Are you the top comment on the Steam reviews?

I read some stuff and watched some videos. Despite sharing an awful lot of adjectives, these games don't actually look like they have similar focuses at all.

Also one of the screenshots is framed in a way that it appears to be a total rip straight out of Modern Warfare, strangely.

Both games have a lot of risk/spectating, but yeah. I feel like a movie-character in Rainbow Six Siege and in Insurgency I feel more like a Xe mercenary.

I really enjoy the relationship between the maps/abilities/barricades and breaching in Rainbow Six Siege, while Insurgency offers high lethality and weapons that feel intimidatingly powerful.

I bring it up because Insurgency is the evolution of the old Red Storm games. I don't think Siege plays as well as Battlefield: Bad Company 2 did (in terms of destructible level design), and I don't think it fits the tone of the series. I'm not even sure Rainbow Six has the cachet to make the game stand out this holiday season. No tactical campaign? Call it anything other than Rainbow Six.

Insurgency, on the other hand, is a terse cat-and-mouse game where every gun battle is won by position and preparedness. Fantastic coop levels as well, which get brutally difficult.

I played a few rounds and hated the movement and gun feel. Might be a great game but those a dealbreakers for me. :/

This game is clyde-crack. I have put an unreasonable amount of time into this beta. I've unlocked all but two characters.

I'm looking forward to starting over on Tuesday.

The fact that not all the terrorists are on the map at the start of terrorist hunt ruins the game for me really. I guess I was hoping for tough but fair like GRAW used to be. As for versus multiplayer, I no longer have the reaction time to compete.

I've been enjoying barricading and breaching. This was an attempt to make a bit of a tutorial, but it just became fun chaos. I'll try again later.

I've been reading the neogaf threads about Rainbow Six: Siege and this post is rather useful.

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=188670449

I suppose I should update how I feel about R6:Siege. It's awesome, I could easily play all day if I didn't have stuff I needed to do. I've unlocked all the operators I care about. I still don't know the maps very well (especially where the cameras are), but I'm just having such a good time setting up a defense that I think is a little bit clever or trying to breach in a way that is coordinated with teammates.

I like it! Having a baby around makes it very difficult to play any kind of multiplayer game where it'd matter if I dropped out suddenly, so I don't see myself putting a lot of time in, but it's fun.

The breezier, easy come, easy go nature of something like Star Wars Battlefront is more my speed right now, where nobody will care if my dude is just standing still at the spawn for a while.

edit: I guess I'm a Star Wars dad now

Yes, actually. I'm able to bounce him around which helps him nap, but my hands remain free. I take it I'm not the first person to discover this!

Edit: while I'm here, I want to mention that the system for unlocking characters is horseshit. It feels like an iPhone game.

Does having your progeny hanging from your bosom limit the number of expletives you let fly mid-match?

I'm not a verbose game player, so no problem there. In general, I let loose many profane words in front of him, and I haven't really started thinking about curtailing it yet. 

I don't know, I grew up in an R-rated home (only in terms of language!), and I don't think it hurt me in any way.

Here are four codes for a free weekend of the game (pc). I've probably said this enough but, I really enjoy playing this; it's like Shadowrun for the Xbox 360 which I played about as compulsively.

WPLQ-LKYC-Q74D-74L4

GP9A-L7A9-J8PA-DMXL

3MBT-8J7E-DC4T-3DQA

Q8QY-RLDV-8WXN-M86Q

So at this point I've played 67 hours of this game, I wanted to provide an update. I'll just list some thoughts:

-I think today is the first day I've played where I felt the desire for new maps. I still haven't memorized all the destructible walls in the layouts or every possible entry point, but I certainly have familiarity with the most common pathways on all the maps.

-I still enjoy the game a lot.

-Everyday you get one new challenge that rewards you with an xp-bonus equal to an extra win. My daily-play has become focused on surmounting one of those challenges. I can only have 3 challenges in the queue at a time, so for maximum earning potential, I do an average of one challenge a day (so that I can get the next day's challenge in the queue). I don't usually pay attention to challenges with xp-bonuses in multiplayer shooters, but these are so general and advertised that I can't help but say to myself "I might as well use Ashley since it'll help me towards this 250xp bonus". I only play Terrorist Hunt when a challenge for it pops up. I actually enjoy playing Terrorist Hunt whenever I do, but it isn't thrilling at all for me. It's more of a casual shooty shooty thing to do on a lazy evening. And in case you are wondering why I care about earning xp, two new operators are supposed to come out in February and they are rumored to cost 25,000xp each; I have 40,000xp.

-I only talk on mic when I am home alone. I rarely hear people on mic in casual providing relevant information unless I start doing so myself and others join in. Mic use in this game has made me reconsider my tendency to not use a mic in other multiplayer competitive shooters. I loaded up Titanfall the other day with the mic plugged in expecting that I would be just as chatty as I am in Rainbow Six: Siege but there was nothing I could tell my teammates that was of any use. In Rainbow Six: Siege, the advantage of having someone on mic is very apparent; they are announcing positions while operating cameras, telling you where and when they plan to breach, explaining how they died. Because of this, players tend to want other teammates to talk which is rare in games I've played.

-I've never played Counter-Strike, but I played a lot of Shadowrun (2007). I think a lot of people are turned off by the fact that they will likely be watching other people play more than they will be playing themselves. I'm not, I think it's great. I got my beverage and my phone and if the game isn't interesting I check twitter or read an article, if the game is interesting then I am watching it like other people watch sports. I can see why someone might think that a game is less enjoyable if it requires something to do in the down-time, but I really enjoy the part when I'm dead. Rounds are (4min?) long at max to put pressure on the attackers. It only feels like things are taking too long if someone is AFK and so we kick them.

-I find myself wanting to capture video of me playing, but I quickly realize that viewers who don't play the game wouldn't really see what is going on. If you aren't intimately familiar with the maps, then it just looks like two players seeing each other, both shooting and one of them dying. But those of us who play a lot are listening to which barricades are being blown in order to conceptualize what shape the attack is going to take. We know where the trapdoors are and where the roamers are likely to ambush us from. We know that a sound coming from a hole we made in the wall means we should open up on it. It's a lot of fluid information that requires an understanding of the map and I don't know how to communicate that in a game-play video.

yup.

I had a great couple of matches this morning. The randoms and I gelled so well. On multiple occasions we surrounded the objective, breached simultaneously and won. It's a really cool feeling to spend two minutes getting into place and setting up and then explosions, smoke, bullets flying for 10 seconds and then you see "Round Won". It's so intense.

Also one of the new operators has bear-traps that downs and immobilize enemies until a teammate releases them. It's a really fun addition to the game not only mechanically (a near-lethal non-electronic defense that can be placed on any area of a floor) but it also allows for a lot of laugh-out-loud moments where the last person on your team is checking every corner and it's getting more and more intense then SNAP! It's hilarious.

I need to figure out how to communicate the levels to those who aren't familiar with them so y'all can see what this game is like in the head of the player. It's kinda like Jenga? Where there is an awareness of changing vulnerabilities in a space and you are constantly hypothesizing how the space is changing based on sights and sounds and logic. It's like Home Alone or Surviving The Game on defense where you are listening for clues about what is happening on the floor above you. But you know the floor above you intimately (after many hours of play).

There is a free weekend going on. Schedule willing, I'd be interested in playing with any of y'all who are interested.

Yesterday I played two matches against a skilled team. They were really good. When we were on defense, it felt like Predator where my teammates were disappearing one by one. I was the last person on my team and managed to take out three of them which was really satisfying; we lost of course. When pkaying against a good team, the tolerances feel so much more acute. When attacking, coming around a door is going to get you shot unless you and your teammates breach in a clever way. The matches are typically much more forgiving than they were last night (not that they are typically forgiving though, this is comparative).

That's pretty cool looking though. Sorry that you can't play.

I'm not trying to trouble-shoot, but I'm curious; does that geometry flicker into those states? If not how does movement relate to the distortion?

Yeah it flickers like crazy. Someone else said it looked like RAM corruption but I haven't had any trouble with other games.

Turns out I'm an idiot and forgot I reformatted my computer last week so my driver's were out of date. Works great now.