Gormongous

Holy (Hell)Diver - Now Coming to PC!

I feel like people don't understand that you want to be somewhat close to your turret, not far away. It will happily aim right through you to shoot those big bad bugs, but everyone throws 4 turrets and then wanders away from them like they're an automatic safety net just because they exist.

I am liking how you can very realistically create subclasses out of strategems and loadout. I've been trying to roll with shotgun, lmg, and resupply pack like a battlefield support. People don't actually pick ammo out of the pack, though.

My mic doesn't seem to be working in this game. It's really irritating. Anyone else seeing that? e: please ignore I am biggest idiot.

I only really take turrets because i dont have anything else that interesting to put in its place. Maybe ill go nuts on ammo drops instead

I am liking how you can very realistically create subclasses out of strategems and loadout. I've been trying to roll with shotgun, lmg, and resupply pack like a battlefield support. People don't actually pick ammo out of the pack, though.

Laser, LMG, and ammo for me. I'm thinking of rolling with a bunch of red strats instead, since the laser uses no ammo and does about as much damage as the LMG once fully upgraded. Maybe the recoilless rifle too, although I haven't played enough hard levels to need armor-piercing weaponry...

Success in the harder levels requires a pretty good amount of coordination.  If you can get a team that sticks to their roles, then having each person specialize in an area works pretty well.  I've been playing a medic/support type lately.  I have a turret for defense, two mechs, and an REP-80.  I'll usually drop one mech in the beginning then tell someone else to use it so that I can heal them.  I'll save the second mech in reserve, but depending on the mission types and the rest of the team's loadout, I might bring a jump pack instead for my own survivability.  A triangle of 3 mechs with one medic type in the center is nearly unstoppable.  One thing I wish you could do is save loadouts to allow for quick switching.

I really haven't had a problem with turrets.  I use them to guard choke points or keep them far enough away from where I'm defending that they never accidentally target me or my team.  They're the most dangerous when you set them up on opposite sides of each other with you in the middle.

I don't really care for most of the offensive stratagems.  It's difficult to pull them off correctly in the midst of a fight.  When you know there's going to be trouble you can prep one in advance but it's still a one off that either kills a bunch of weak ones you could have dealt with, or one big one that could also have been taken out by heavy weapons you don't need to prep.

The APC is fun but it's also dangerous if you have the whole team in there as one wrong move can wipe you out.  I've found it's best to have one person outside in a mech or on foot.  Not only can they revive the team if something goes wrong, they can also do stuff like pick up samples or activate stations.  Also, if you or anyone else is going to get out of the APC, make sure you come to a COMPLETE stop.  That thing will roll over you and squish you flat if you get out too quick.

Is anyone else just having the worst luck with pod drop placement when they join a game?  It's one thing if you drop the beacon and someone walks under the pod, but it's another when someone joins and there's basically no warning.  Almost every game I've joined in the last few I've squished someone or on one occasion I destroyed the thing we were supposed to defend by dropping right on top of it.

Man I just had the most awesome game.  We had a tank rolling around destroying giant bugs, then when it ran out of ammo we pulled out 4 mechs and crushed the level.  When things go wrong they go horribly wrong but when things go right, it's so badass.

Also now that the DLC has activated I'm overwhelmed with choice again.  But I'm really liking the laser carbine.  It overheats faster than the other one but it's stronger and using it in bursts is quite effective.  The vehicles are also a lot of fun.  The anti-tank mech is fairly limited but on the higher difficulties it's killer against the heavies.  The tank is a beast.  The motorcycle kinda sucks though.  I wish the pistols didn't take up perk slots and you could just equip them instead of the normal one.  The drones are kinda neat but fairly underpowered I think.  I haven't really messed with the big secondary weapons since I like the healing gun so much.  And I want the ability to save loadouts now more than ever.

Also now that the DLC has activated I'm overwhelmed with choice again. But I'm really liking the laser carbine. It overheats faster than the other one but it's stronger and using it in bursts is quite effective. The vehicles are also a lot of fun. The anti-tank mech is fairly limited but on the higher difficulties it's killer against the heavies. The tank is a beast. The motorcycle kinda sucks though. I wish the pistols didn't take up perk slots and you could just equip them instead of the normal one. The drones are kinda neat but fairly underpowered I think. I haven't really messed with the big secondary weapons since I like the healing gun so much. And I want the ability to save loadouts now more than ever.

All the laser weapons are great, honestly. Removing ammo as a consideration is such a relief, and their pinpoint accuracy makes them relatively safe among friends. The only downside of a fully upgraded Scythe is a somewhat slow movement speed, and there are perks for that.

So in a group of 4 (two pubs two on voice), we were able to do multiple Level 9 missions in a row. We tried level 12.

I don't think you're adequately prepared for level 12.

I sure wish I hadn't wasted points upgrading the stupid ass liberator, though. :[

All the laser weapons are great, honestly. Removing ammo as a consideration is such a relief, and their pinpoint accuracy makes them relatively safe among friends. The only downside of a fully upgraded Scythe is a somewhat slow movement speed, and there are perks for that.

Technically the laser weapons do have ammo but some careful management makes it mostly a nonissue.

Outside of a specific cases, I still dislike the offensive strats.  I just can't ever make them useful.

Does anyone else hate the Illuminate walls as much as I do?  It's annoying enough when they block you from getting to the shuttle or an objective, but what I really hate is how inconsistent they seem.  Sometimes I'll be rolling around in a vehicle and have a wall projected at me and do nothing.  But every now and then it completely destroys me even at full health.

Edit: After consulting a wiki, apparently they kill you if you're moving but if you stand still you're fine.  That seems dumb.

It's killing me that this game is taking a little bit of a bath on Steam reviews and Reddit for having DLC at launch. A very cogent and polite statement by Arrowhead's CEO, stating that the game's been out almost a year on PS4 and that ongoing development has hitherto been supported by monthly DLC packs going for two or three dollars, which are all now available on the PC for the same prices, has been met with platitudes about PC gamers (unlike console gamers) being used to low prices for lots of content, so of course this cannot stand. Maybe if they dropped their DLC prices to a dollar or made them unlockable ingame like Warframe or something, they say as totally impartial observers of the marketplace...

I'm almost never one to bang on about gamer entitlement, but goddamn. Nothing in the DLC packs is essential, except maybe the stasis fields and the HAV, and if you've played the base game the hundred-odd hours necessary to unlock everything that it comes with, perhaps consider kicking a few bucks back to the devs for some new toys rather than carping about sweat equity as a player in a video game.

Yeah I'm also bothered by the numerous complaints about the DLC.  I saw several Steam discussions about how the DLC is nothing but a money grab and Arrowhead should be ashamed of themselves.  While I'll admit nothing in the DLC is substantially better than the base game, that's exactly what bothers me about a lot of what people are saying.  Of course the DLC won't be necessary to win.  If it were, then people would complain about it being "pay to win".  What I like about the DLC is the same thing I like about TF2's weapons.  They add flavor and variety that can be useful but aren't necessarily going to be direct replacements for anything in the base game.  Compare this to something like Payday where a lot of the DLC weapons became necessary after several patches and balance changes.  That game was constantly remade to basically require the latest DLC to accomplish anything.  This game's DLC seems to revolve around its longevity and variety, which is exactly what DLC should be doing.

(And not to nitpick, but the HAV isn't DLC.  I still need to unlock it.)

I'll just say that I was surprised to see $42 dollars worth of DLC for HellDivers on Steam already, before the gears turned in my head and I understood why. It feels like they could have packaged it better in some way, I dunno.  

Yeah, it feels like an advertising/communication problem.  It's weird to see a game launch with that long of a list of DLC, for that much cost.  Not everyone is going to immediately know that it's been out for awhile on another platform. 

Yeah, it feels like an advertising/communication problem. It's weird to see a game launch with that long of a list of DLC, for that much cost. Not everyone is going to immediately know that it's been out for awhile on another platform.

There's apparently a $25 all-in-one pack that some glitch in the Steam API prevents from being shown on the base game's page. Only when you click on a specific piece of DLC does the option become visible (which speaks to how much research many of those outraged by the DLC have done, but I agree that it's still a failure in messaging).

Of course, some of those outraged are of the vocal opinion that i) no game should launch with any paid DLC whatsoever, no matter the reason, and ii) all ingame objects should have an option to be earned by sweat equity, read "total hours put into the game." That's really the entitlement that's baffling to me.

Correct. There's a $25 MEGA REINFORCEMENT BUNDLE or whatever.

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/81596/

It's a $5 premium on just buying the Deluxe Edition, which I'm completely fine with for multiple reasons. 1) I don't really want all of it necessarily, 2) it's built in a way that you don't NEED any of it, 3) if I really do want a sweet new cape I'll pony up the money for it, 4) it'll be on sale at the end of the month anyway, c'mon guys.

I am totally comfortable with my "Buy the game, choose to buy additional content at a later time" decision. If I want it all, it'll have been worth the extra $25. The outrage that an awesome little co-op game for $20 should never offer anything else for money is ludicrous. I wonder if a little bit of the 100%er mentality is in those negative comments. I've been downvoting them as I see them, but the game is still getting overwhelmingly positive reviews.

I would pay $5 right this second for a DLC pack that gives me more than 4 barks. Liber-tea is already starting to wear a bit thin.

I would pay $5 right this second for a DLC pack that gives me more than 4 barks. Liber-tea is already starting to wear a bit thin.

Be a lady! I'm a lady.

I am a lady also! Being an awesome lady doesn't magically add more barks.

BTW I love this from Arrowhead's FAQ-

Is there any character customization? Are there female characters?

You will unlock new equipment and gear as you rise in ranks. There are not only female Helldivers, there are male too!

I too am a lady.

In hindsight, paying for individual packs is probably wiser since a lot of them I'm finding to not be very useful.  That said though, I'm more than happy with what I paid for.

I too am a lady.

I'm sad, I thought I was special. Every rando I've met has been a dude, though!

And yeah, maybe half of the DLC packs are full of junk, but I've heard from PS4 veterans that it's good to have a bunch of jokey weapons to put spare research points into, once you've upgraded everything you actually like, so I'm not mourning my splurge, really.

Woof, that sounds like a long way off. I dumped the full complement of upgrade points into the laser rifle, and then I learned at level 18 you get a really good armor piercing assault rifle and now I have research point remorse. Just like upgrading the liberator was a waste of 3 points.

Those vets must have put a heck of a lot of time into the game, or are way better at finding samples.

Those vets must have put a heck of a lot of time into the game, or are way better at finding samples.

One of the DLC items sort of alleviates this.  It's a UAV that expands the radar (which seems useless to me since you have to stop to look at the map).  If you upgrade it enough it also shows the locations of samples.  My understanding is that once you have most of the equipment unlocked, the game becomes about sample runs to grind for research points.  I think some players will even fail missions on purpose to end the level faster (ie they'll kill all the survivors themselves or purposefully destroy the thing they're supposed to protect).

Woof, that sounds like a long way off. I dumped the full complement of upgrade points into the laser rifle, and then I learned at level 18 you get a really good armor piercing assault rifle and now I have research point remorse. Just like upgrading the liberator was a waste of 3 points.

I'm going to equip and trick out the UAV, which reveals samples when fully upgraded. It will make sample farming a trivial task, I hear. Actually, that was the other "essential" DLC item, rather than the HAV.

If there ends up being a group of thumbs readers playing this together i need to see videos, because there's nothing that brings a community together more than killing each other in amusing ways in a video game. 

plus i cant afford to by new things atm so i want to live/play vicariously :D