Gormongous

Holy (Hell)Diver - Now Coming to PC!

I remember Helldivers from Arrowhead, the studio that made Magicka, getting a lot of attention from the PS4 crowd maybe six months ago. Now it's coming to PC via Steam and I'm curious whether it's a good pick for my gaming group, which typically plays two or three times a week for a couple hours and has drifted from Payday 2 following the fracas with that community. Any opinions?

According to the Arrowhead website, there have been three major expansions to mission content that'll be free with the base game, plus 14 weapon/cosmetic DLCs that are available for a moderate discount if you preorder. Most of the guns seem nice, but are they worth paying twenty bucks extra? I'm also curious if any other Thumbs are looking to get (back) into this game with the PC release, of course.

Ooooo, local co-op, color me interested.  I know almost nothing about this game though, didn't even hear any buzz about it. 

I don't have a PS4 (yet) but I've wanted to play this for a while.  I love co-op games and squad/tactics based ones appeal to me a lot.  It reminds me of that free Alien Swarm game which while rather limited I found to be kind of fun.  I'd love to get a group together for this.

Not that you can't just google it, but here is GB's coverage.

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-helldivers/2300-9996/

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-ex-helldivers/2300-8632/

I really wanted this, to the point I was asking in the PS thread what level of cross-play this had so I could possibly play this on PS3 with people who had a PS4. It has a lot of elements of Magicka, Crimsonland, and Alien Swarm I like. Maybe I'll actually own it this time, even though I now have a modern console!

I can definitely see myself spending 20 easy dollars on this, but not sure about 40. I'll probably buy it, and if it's THAT good I'll buy the rest of it.

e: Shit, now I want to play Helldivers IMMEDIATELY.

Games in this style with friendly fire tend to not go well with me, but I am sorta curious.

I know that the Subterfuge diaries on Cool Ghosts are the current darlings, but I really recommend their seven-part Helldivers series. It's really great to watch funny guys like Matt Lees and Quintin Smith go from feigned passive-aggression at team-killing each other to genuine passive-aggression at team-killing each other... and then, near the end, towards some appreciation of their growing competency in the game (while still team-killing each other occasionally). It's what put the game on my radar and now, like Badfinger, I wish that I could just play it right now.

I should really go back and play this some more on PS4. I completely forgot about it. It's crazy fun, just no fun on your own.

That's the exact issue I had.

The additional content is pretty great, just need a consistent group to play with.

I loved this game, and almost immediately fell off of it. There's a pretty high skill ceiling to it and it doesn't mess around with difficulty, which might've driven alot of people away. It takes time to learn but god, is it fun!

I should really go back and play this some more on PS4. I completely forgot about it. It's crazy fun, just no fun on your own.

That's the exact issue I had.

The additional content is pretty great, just need a consistent group to play with.

Looking around, there are ways to build your character to make them strong as a solo character (turrets, arc weapons) but they also make your character mostly useless for multiplayer, so I don't really see the point, unless you have no other friends with the game and hate playing with randos.

The single player stuff is OK, but it's really not what the game is about. I was using a stealth build to get through the harder stuff alone, but it was joyless in comparison to playing with others.

The single player stuff is OK, but it's really not what the game is about. I was using a stealth build to get through the harder stuff alone, but it was joyless in comparison to playing with others.

I imagine so! In a game where team-killing is advertised as a back-of-the-box bullet point, why play singleplayer at all?

Yup! The game shines when things are balancing on the knife edge, when you're killing enemies and friends, just managing to do the tasks. 

Tried it on ps4 at a friends house, and now can't wait until the steam release. Takes the mayhem of magicka and trims off the millions of balance issues into something suprisingly focused. Currently debating whether or not to get the regular or DIGITAL DELUXE edition that comes with all the extra gadgets (really just debating whether or not to refund the digital deluxe edition, which i already bought. Theres probably half as many more weapons and whatnot but it's double the price)

The PC "beta" aka "press and tastemaker release" has started today. People are streaming it, and I still really want to play it right now. I can't EXTRA pre-order this, dammit.

The PC "beta" aka "press and tastemaker release" has started today. People are streaming it, and I still really want to play it right now. I can't EXTRA pre-order this, dammit.

My girlfriend's birthday is this weekend, so I don't even get to benefit from the "preorder and play it on Dec. 4th" perk. I'm suffering, I have no idea why my hype's this high.

I watched the entire Cool Ghosts dealie (thank you for linking to that, I subscribed to their podcast which I will try soon), plus I was also really interested in this when it came out on Sony platforms. It reignited something I already had.

I think the $20 is worth it just for the anticipation, but I have reasonable hopes the game will pull through as well.

It would appear like there are enough people interested in the game to try and put together a group.  Would anyone be interested in planning a time to play?

playing sounds fun, planning less so.

I agree but a cooperative game with team killing seems like the kind of thing that would benefit from some coordination.

Every time I see this thread I go and listen to Holy Diver. I think I now like the KSE version over the Dio version.