Sign in to follow this  
Jov

This forum is weird (Look a new topic!)

I like the megathreads in general because I feel like they've spawned other interesting threads as a result.  Sometimes an idea will seem innocuous enough at first but then it starts a discussion.  Eventually if the conversation goes on enough it will usually spawn a new thread that would probably not have existed otherwise (the first example that comes to mind is the Baby Got Backstory thread).

However I agree with those that dislike the Recently Completed Games thread.  I'd rather have that info posted in a game's thread so that it can be discussed.  Usually if I post in there it's a shortened summary of a longer post I put in that game's thread.  I will concede that it's a good place for unknown games to be discovered though.  

I like when threads for older games pop back up again.  My play style doesn't really lend itself to playing many games quickly so I'll gladly bring an older thread back to talk about a game I've been playing recently even if everyone is long done with it. 

I find the clunky megathread format kind of charming for this community, because it's antiquated compared to the ephemeral way information is presented on other forums, and sites like twitter, tumblr, etc. It's like this weird comfort-zone place where the same pictures have been framed on the wall for centuries, so to speak.

Also when posting, sometimes its hard to gauge interest in X or Y, so having a general grounds for briefly mentioning something that you kind of want to talk about is nice. 

(Mainly just posting because I think it would be hilarious if this thread somehow stayed alive and became a megathread)

I could make a new thread for every anime I watch I bet people here would love that.

I could make a new thread for every anime I watch I bet people here would love that.

I am personally a little saddened that the "anime" thread is now literally just the home-away-from-home for the Key Frames team.

On the megathreads, I think Tanukitsune's adventure game summaries are a good example of why I like the completed games megathread.  I enjoy reading those, but if there was an individual thread for each game, I probably wouldn't actually open up each one and read it. 

Shouldn't it be 1024 posts?

Or is that just a megapost?

Does it need to be 1024 pages?

Will the page file be too big?!

:o  :getmecoat

I look forward to this thread becoming the thing he hates. How many pages before this is a megathread?

I am contributing to this goal.

I look forward to this thread becoming the thing he hates. How many pages before this is a megathread?

One of us! ONE OF US!

Er no, 1024 times 1024 (mega = million)

Oh sorry, this is my fault.

I shorten "kilopost" to just "post". Poor nomenclature.

It's probably the metric system messing you up :P

No no, that's a Post, not a post.

These forums have been pretty great and have been my only presence on the internet because the internet is usually a pretty damn annoying place. I signed up for the poop jokes and ended up staying for the constant barrage of insightful commentary. I like the balance between the serious and not so serious topics around Idle Banter and find that there is almost always a thread worth posting in that fits whatever mindset or mood I'm in.

The mega threads in Idle Banter are great and I wouldn't change anything about this subforum. However, I agree with a lot of syntheticgerbil's complaints about the Video Gaming subforum. I really like going into deep dives about whatever game I'm playing and just generally love to discuss every little detail and what I do and don't like. I feel like that kind of discourse just really never gains enough traction there and I know I at least start to feel a little self conscious that I'm coming across as grandstanding when I do put up a 4 paragraph post about all of my dumb thoughts on a game and nobody responds. I don't know that there is an easy solution though since that is kind of just a side effect of having such a small community. The only games that are going to get more than a few people playing and discussing them are going to be the big releases and the rest of the games out there will maybe just see a few posts trickle in every now and then. That is definitely a bummer for me, especially because I tend to lag a few/20 years behind everyone else on whatever current game I'm playing. There are definitely a few interesting topics I keep up on there but I find myself just glossing over the subforum more and more lately.

No no, that's a Post, not a post.

Ah crap. I guess I should come completely clean. I'm an android, and when I posted that I hadn't finished my morning POST subroutine all the way.

Sorry everyone.