Sign in to follow this  
Reyturner

Dota 2 - Winter Major - Shanghai for the Dota Guy

It's that time again! 

Time for the Pro Dota shuffle! How many shocking trades? Heart Breaking Kicks? Dream Teams in the making? Will Sing Sing be in a stack again? Probably! (until they lose a LAN or something) 

Predictions? 

My only guess: Aui_2000 ends up on Cloud9 in 1 position. 

Secret announced no new roster changes because they are smarter than reddit (who are mostly blaming their loss to OG on Misery, which is stupid).

I am curious where the NiP guys are going to end up.

DC might actually get over the hump now.  1437 is a good captain and a great player.  He's about the only 5th position support in NA that is good other than ppd.

EG win against Liquid 2-1.  They've played well, but they definitely don't look dominant.  They play VG in the WB finals.  Lately they've had VG's number, but VG looked stronger than EG so far.  Should be fun to watch.

The last match between EG and Liquid was super close the whole time. There were some pretty nice plays in there, but also some avoidable team wipes on both sides at various points. Looking forward to EG vs VG for sure.

DC beat Ehome in game 1 proving their EG series was not a fluke.  They may pull an upset here.  No matter what, they look a lot better than they had in the Fall major season.

Really rooting for VG this tournament, and hoping they become one of those teams that once they win one, they start winning a string of tournaments.

I guess I deserve what I get for talking big on the Esports Today thread about the Shanghai Major where I told Andrew that he was severely underrating EHOME. EHOME and CDEC both failed to make it to the upper bracket.

How does everyone feel about the structure of this group stage? I don't know if it is better than the typical structure where teams get points based on wins, but it is certainly interesting.

How do people feel about MVP? I missed their games. Do they seem like they just had a really good opening day, or does it seem like the kind of performance they can sustain?

I haven't had a chance to go find highlights or commentary, but on a quick glance, their two wins against Secret were in 18m and 24m, so that sounds pretty commanding.  The article I found on the Ehome series also sounds like MVP were in total control. 

I'll definitely be finding the replays and checking them out tonight.

Well this is weird. The host for the tournament, James 2GD, was unceremoniously sacked. Basically every thread on the DOTA 2 subreddit is about that right now. Lots of speculation going on about what happened. What a mess.

Yeah, heard about that. Crazy, 'cause James is one of the better hosts. Most common theory I see is that he was acting too goofy for Perfect World, I dunno.

James posted this 17 page thing about it https://docs.google.com/document/d/1B061Rs4gw4zkCec35Q5v2r576e_Jd6pJfrT_5_GZ74I/preview?pref=2&pli=1

It just seems like Valve fucking up even with what James did (some bad jokes).

I wonder how this will affect the remainder of the tournament, MVP and Fnatic's success is just getting glossed over :\

Even in his explanation of the situation, James can't help making homophobic jokes ("This guy's an ass! (or maybe dick, not sure what he prefers)"), blaming women for what he views as his failure (It's Sheever's fault this panel from a few years ago was bad, not mine! The only reason it was passable was because of my efforts, and only my efforts!), and being generally misogynistic (Why include that weird anecdote about his brother facing rape charges? A woman who needs to collect her belongings can't have been raped??? What?????). He's always sounded like a bully with a massive ego to me, and his own explanation of why he was fired further cements that impression.

The only reason I'm sad to see him go is because there have been some great games over the last few days, and that's overshadowed by all the drama around this ass.

Yeah I'm with Mangela Lansbury. I did a 180 on James from being sympathetic to feeling like Valve made the right call (which is not to say that Valve haven't screwed this up majorly, clearly they have). 

On twitter Purge also pointed out that he thinks James made the thing up about base $0 pay for TI4 talent which was definitely the most outrageous accusation he made. As far as I'm concerned his whole statement is untrustworthy. Even before I saw Purge's twitter statement though I found a lot of red flags that made me skeptical about his claims. He is throwing a lot of people under the bus for no good reason (especially Sheever). His casts major doubt on her place in professional DOTA and that is the shittiest thing possible.

I thought he was fine as a host, but his statement actually makes him sound nightmarish actually.

Yeah, I'm firmly in camp good riddance at this point. I've said multiple times and still stand by saying that I like him as a host. (Although I didn't pay attention so much to his hosting this major, and had I heard some of the things he said I probably would've reacted negatively.)

But the last thing the Dota community needs is someone that gross being up front spewing shit.

Now please fire Tobi, too. Don't let him come back.

Also agreed Valve fucked this shit right up. I'm wondering, at this point, how long they can keep screwing up Dota stuff before people stay mad. I mean unforeseen technical difficulties are one thing, but, I dunno. We'll see. The future is bleak, and it's already here.

This is actually the worst e-sports event I've ever witnessed.

I have a pretty high threshold for production mistakes and can stand a pretty low overall production quality, but Jesus Christ get your shit together, Valve. It's too much for even me.