Sign in to follow this  
Turrican

Thea: The Awakening

I didn't know much about Thea. I hadn't been following it and the little I had read about it left me cold. With so many incredible fantasy 4X games out there (Endless Legend, Age of Wonders 3, Sorceror King, etc) why would I play Thea? It's a £15 game from a small development house - what really is this going to bring to the table?

Then I read the review of the game on Explorminate and it was so glowing I thought I'd give it a quick look. So I downloaded it. That was over 80 turns and 4 hours ago! I have not moved from my laptop since! 

This game is absolutely fantastic. The art style, the writing, the graphics, the exploration, the crafting, the quests, the customisation, the character of the world. Everything is faultless. It's even completely stable and runs like a dream. 

I was initially put off by Thea's card based challenge system which is used to resolve combat, social interactions and tricky situations. Put even this is fun and tactical. It's like Gwent on steroids. 

I really can't speak to highly of this game. I get completely attached to my villagers as they join those already populating my settlement and become my best gatherers, warriors or craftsmen - only to meet their fate at the hands of a bear in a forest or undead skeleton in a dungeon. Each loss is really felt. 

I could go on about this game but if you really want to know about it then read the review on Explorminate and then buy it. Stick with it for an hour or so and initial confusion will give way to pure pleasure and one of the most original and engrossing gaming experiences in recent memory. I am searching for a criticism of the game and can't really find one. It's early days but this is one I think I'm going to be playing for a long time to come.

I just wanted to post this for anyone else who may have overlooked this game - buy it - it's an absolute gem.  

I'm only a few hours in, but oh man, I am loving this. Special shout-out to the music which is both great on its own, and perfectly atmospheric.

However, I'm troubled by the nagging sensation that somewhere off-screen, there's a timer ticking or an enemy army building strength, and if my empire-building isn't efficient enough, I'm going to fall behind and get crushed. It's not that I wish there was no pressure, I'm just troubled by having no understanding or tracking of the pressure.

I just killed a dragon, and it was more epic than any card game-based combat system deserves to be. It felt like every decision I made in the game led up to that point. My long-term decisions focused on maximum resource-gathering capability, then specced my tech tree towards the singular goal of mass-producing Mithril spears. In the medium term, I made the decision to leave my village supplies completely undefended so that every man woman and thing could leave town and lend their strength to the dragonslaying party. In the short term, I got really lucky in the fight, and played skillfully enough to protect the lives of all my troops.

I wish I could communicate how great this felt. I killed a dragon, and for the first time in my video game career, it doesn't just feel like I killed another sack of hitpoints named "Dragon", this took preparation, skill and luck. I actually killed a dragon.

I just killed a dragon, and it was more epic than any card game-based combat system deserves to be. It felt like every decision I made in the game led up to that point. My long-term decisions focused on maximum resource-gathering capability, then specced my tech tree towards the singular goal of mass-producing Mithril spears. In the medium term, I made the decision to leave my village supplies completely undefended so that every man woman and thing could leave town and lend their strength to the dragonslaying party. In the short term, I got really lucky in the fight, and played skillfully enough to protect the lives of all my troops.

I wish I could communicate how great this felt. I killed a dragon, and for the first time in my video game career, it doesn't just feel like I killed another sack of hitpoints named "Dragon", this took preparation, skill and luck. I actually killed a dragon.

Haha, this is awesome!

I knew there would be a thread about this here.  I just got it a week ago and already have 30 hours in.  Like everyone else, I am amazed by this game.  Every part is done sooooo well.  Music?  Atmospheric and never annoying.  Crafting?  yes please I was so happy when I made duck in a plum sauce for my expedition crew.  There is even a leveling system for the god you choose, you gain experience and bonuses by having longer games before starting a new one, or dying.  Last night I played it until 1AM and then reluctantly went to bed.  I can't remember the last game that did that.  All for $20.  Fallout 4?  What's that?

If you're even a little bit interested take the plunge, you won't buy another game for months.

This game is great!  I don't even know where to begin, or how to explain why.  All the pieces work?  It dynamically generates interesting stories (see the dragon-slaying story above)?  The levelling and meta-levelling is cool?  

Anyways, this game is great!

After my first two runs at the game ending pretty early in the tutorial, I've really started to enjoy this game in my third try. I wish that it was a little better at teaching you, all the references to "read the manual" or "watch youtube videos" don't really replace a good in-game tutorial, and I wish there was some sort of tutorial map setup that made it so you couldn't really fail during the beginning. In particular, the layout of the first expedition group they give you is really bad, and it was a while before I understood why.

Anyway, having fun, but wish there was a bit more to do? Things have slowed down a lot now after seeing the first few world tree story bits.

I finished my first game today, there was definitely a good section of the game where pretty much everything is easy, so when I completed the Cosmic Tree quest, I ended the game. Turns out there was a bunch more I was supposed to do? Maybe I hit a bug because I was in something like turn 300 and only ever seeing wandering 2-skull enemies. In my new game I'm in turn 50 and I've already seen a wandering 3-skull.

Anyway, it's good enough that I immediately jumped back in to play a second game. I still wish there were better tutorials though.