Sign in to follow this  
Soren Johnson

Designer Notes 13: Jamie Cheng

In this episode, Soren interviews Jamie Cheng, founder of Klei Entertainment which is known for the Shank series, Mark of the Ninja, Don't Starve, and Invisible, Inc. They discuss paying back the Canadian government, why Mark of the Ninja's AI needs to be dumb, why Don't Starve has no extrinsic rewards, and how free-to-play games are his white whale.

Games Discussed: The Legend of Zelda, Aerobiz, SD Gundam, Dawn of War, Eets, The Outfit, Sugar Rush, Shank 1 & 2, Mark of the Ninja, Don't Starve, Invisible, Inc.

https://www.idlethumbs.net/designernotes/episodes/jamie-cheng

Timely, as Klei are having a free weekend and sale on Steam this weekend...

I love his chess analogy.  You wouldn't play a game of Chess (or soccer, or Civ for that matter) and if you happen to lose the game, you don't think "well since I lost, I wasted all that progress in the game and now I have to play the whole game again and catch up."  But that's how people treat many games where loss is a possible outcome or even inevitable.  

There was a podcast series of interviews with people that worked at Looking Glass studios. There was one episode where they were talking about designing Thief, and they arrived at the same design conclusion as Jamie Cheng about how it is a good idea for the AI to be kind of dumb in stealth games, even if sometimes players complain about the AI being too dumb. For them they thought of a stealth game essentially as a Revenge of the Nerds type fantasy where the smart protagonist outwits the dumb jocks (guards). Guard barks also became extremely important since they would convey important information to the player about AI states even if these exclamations weren't particularly realistic.

Oooooo Jamie Cheng actually played SD Gundam X!!!

The sequel to that game (one that he probably skipped cause they didn't immediately remove features) GX was a defining point for my childhood so it's just so exciting to see it mentioned