Sign in to follow this  
Rob Zacny

Episode 330: Churchill

Three Moves Ahead 330:

808__header.jpg

Churchill
Bruce sits down with renowned game designer Mark Herman to talk about his latest offering, Churchill. Combining historical personalities with the tension of negotiation, Churchill is not a wargame in the traditional sense. Rather, it puts the players in the shoes of Churchill, Stalin, or Roosevelt as they plan the Allied attack against the Axis.

Churchill

Mark Herman's game design blog

Very interesting. For The People is one of my favourite strategic American Civil War games... and Mark Herman is indeed a designer that isn't afraid of contradicting players that come with baggage to his games.

Makes me wonder how off the mark diplomacy is in all the strategic WW2 games I have played, from Clash of Steel to Hearts of Iron III. Herman's concept is amazing, and I am not surprised it is controversial.

Great show!

Any chance of recomendations from the books that Bruce and Mark mentioned?

I asked Mark and he recommends American Warlords by Jonathan W. Jordan. http://www.nyjournalofbooks.com/book-review/american-warlords

I would recommend The Big Three: Churchill, Roosevelt and Stalin in Peace and War by Robin Edmonds. http://www.historytoday.com/max-beloff/big-three-churchill-roosevelt-and-stalin-peace-and-war

Either one is a great starting place.

Loved this episode!  Always great to have Dr. Bruce hosting the show. 

I have a few questions though if someone would entertain them: 1) How does this game play with only one person?; 2) How does it play with two people?; 3) I am fairly new to wargamming/boardgaming and do you believe this is a good game to jump in with?; and 4) What are some other suggestions the community here has as to a good intro/beginner game for someone like me who loves strategy video games but hasn't dabbled in boardgaming other than risk?

Thank you all!

Loved this episode!  Always great to have Dr. Bruce hosting the show. 

I have a few questions though if someone would entertain them: 1) How does this game play with only one person?; 2) How does it play with two people?; 3) I am fairly new to wargamming/boardgaming and do you believe this is a good game to jump in with?; and 4) What are some other suggestions the community here has as to a good intro/beginner game for someone like me who loves strategy video games but hasn't dabbled in boardgaming other than risk?

Thank you all!

1 & 2: the game has 'AI' for each leader, a flowchart/process that tells you what decisions to have them make. You can actually play the game with 0 people and watch the flowcharts duke it out. Supposedly they're not bad!

I'm not the best guide to games, but do check out Twilight Struggle if you haven't yet.

I asked Mark and he recommends American Warlords by Jonathan W. Jordan. http://www.nyjournalofbooks.com/book-review/american-warlords

I would recommend The Big Three: Churchill, Roosevelt and Stalin in Peace and War by Robin Edmonds. http://www.historytoday.com/max-beloff/big-three-churchill-roosevelt-and-stalin-peace-and-war

Either one is a great starting place.

Both look very interesting. Thanks!

1 & 2: the game has 'AI' for each leader, a flowchart/process that tells you what decisions to have them make. You can actually play the game with 0 people and watch the flowcharts duke it out. Supposedly they're not bad!

I'm not the best guide to games, but do check out Twilight Struggle if you haven't yet.

The bots in this game kinda just 'play the game' and you do lose a lot from not having 3 because there's not a real strategy to play against.  It's just playing its high cards and doing things.