Sign in to follow this  
Rob Zacny

Esports Today 11/10/15: An sOs to the World

Esports Today November 10, 2015:

807__header.jpg

An sOs to the World
Rob comes back from Blizzcon positively glowing from the StarCraft finals. He and Andrew dig into the signature moments of the weekend, including why INnoVation came up short, and why the Life vs. sOs matchup was so perfect. Then they answer listener questions, and look forward to the Dota 2 Frankfurt Major.

StarCraft 2, Dota 2

Crib Sheet:

Watch these two VODs. Seriously.

Live vs. sOs was spectacular, and almost the perfect way to close out Heart of the Swarm (it would have been perfect if Life had won, hehe). I watched the event at Blizzard's official BarCraft in Sydney, which was really great; only the second BarCraft I've been to. I won one of the minor raffle prizes so that was neat too. I'm sure it doesn't match up to actually being at Blizzcon, but people freaking out and losing their heads over Life's baneling busts, Warp Prism snipe, etc. was exhilarating. It was clear Life was the favourite from the room, and he did way more visually exciting things I guess. While as a Terran player I was upset that Innovation lost in the round of 8, Life was definitely the player to take him out.

I'm really looking forward to LotV tournaments, especially more Archon tournaments. 

Not directly related to matters discussed, but I wanted to bring folks' attention to the Heroes of the Storm finals. I haven't had a chance to watch all of it, but this match was completely fantastic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9AlHhgvF-k

Cloud 9 face a fairly conventional comp (Chen notwithstanding), but theirs is anything but conventional. As a viewer, it took me a ways into the match to appreciate what they were doing, but it took DK just as long, and they had no idea how to handle it. Special highlight- the camera pans across the Cloud 9 players right before the final draft pick, and their faces are a treat. They knew they had won before they even went in.

I think that match is important outside of the confines of the tournament because it was a very map specific line up, basically a area denial strategy something you just don't see in other Lords management games & if Hots is to carve out a niche for itself amid the multitude of esports then it needs to emphasise the things that separate it from its peers.

Hey there, first time posting. Hopefully Andrew and Rob can see this before they release an episode on Frankfurt. I mostly follow Dota and want bring up one point that I think they miss. Team Secret as it is now only has a single former Secret member, Puppy. Of the remaining 4 one is a total newcomer and 3 are former Cloud 9 players. Misery and EE came straight from C9, and pie was off of the C9 squad for only 3 months before this new team was created in August.

This current team secret is more like a reformed C9 squad with bone7 and Fata replaced by Puppy and pubstar w33haa. Envy, pie, and bone7 were always the core of the C9 team and their approach to the game was definitely why they were such a throwy team. Now with Puppy's leadership we can see what that old C9's squad might've looked like with a better captain. The Team Secret as it was at TI5 has no equivalent now in the scene.

@dturtle

My apologies for missing this! We absolutely know about the "new" Secret lineup. We've discussed that more at length in the past. It's sort of bizarre that they're even still called Team Secret. Probably creates a lot of unnecessary confusion.

Sign in to follow this