w1.jpeg

What's Warcraft 3?

The best blend of classic RTS and LOMA in an age before everything was a LOMA. You control a base+army as well as one to three heroes with items, spells and builds. Don't worry about items, they're all randomly dropped from neutral creeps on the map.

Who wants to play some WC3 free for all melee maps? 6-12 side FFAs are great in WC3 as opposed to most RTS games I've tried, at least older games. You have 3 additions that help a lot in FFA games:

• You have an incentive to leave your base and kill neutral creeps/whatever you find. Your heroes get exp from that so even even trades with an enemy has you gain an advantage as opposed to trying to avoid any and all conflict until you are maxed out.
  • Army maintenance, the food cap is 100 overall but when you go above 40 food you lose 30% of your income from gold mines and some higher % gold loss when going above 70 food. Again a benefit not to sit in a corner and max out tech/food, even ignoring the level 1 hero problem.
  • Town Portal Scrolls, your first hero starts with one but you can buy more easily from shops (neutral and your own shop building in base). Target them at a friendly town hall and they'll make your hero immune as they channel it (maybe interruptable? can't remember) and after a few seconds the hero and all units nearby will be teleported away. Good things that result from this: You can fuck up but still leave without losing your entire army. You can attack things away from your base and still come back in time to defend it!

WC3 FFA is IMO the the best multiplayer FFA RTS. Battle.net is still up but we can also play over LAN. Or we can do team games. 

If you're interested please post here so we can see what timezones/continents we're looking at.

Sorry, I forgot to say, I think everyone's preferred version is TFT, all the added units, shops, boats, neutral heroes were/are cool.

I'm up for team games too, it's just I've never played them much, most that I saw were basically 4 people ganging up on someone's base in a rush. Can you TP to allies' town halls?

I'm up for team games too, it's just I've never played them much, most that I saw were basically 4 people ganging up on someone's base in a rush. Can you TP to allies' town halls?

Yep! I used to rank pretty high in 3v3 and 4v4 until TFT came out, that's when my near-perfect gryph rush was wrecked by the introduction of the fourth damage/armor type. I liked that larger teams could have one or two players specializing in first- or second-tier strategies (grunts/shamans, huntresses, etc.) that let others on the team push hard for the less-seen but often more-interesting third-tier strategies. Anyway, I'll play whatever, if I can make my schedule work!

... Y'know what, I think I'll get in on this. This past week I was thinking about WC3. Just keep in mind I am NOT Mr. RTS and will totally lose in glorious fashion.

... Y'know what, I think I'll get in on this. This past week I was thinking about WC3. Just keep in mind I am NOT Mr. RTS and will totally lose in glorious fashion.

Winner gets claim to the title "Mr. RTS"!

im soooo in. I hope we get to play some customs also. wc3 is eventually installed on every computer ive ever owned

Sign me up then, I'll dig around for my copy of WC3, should be here somewhere.

Register it on Battle net when you find it. Then you can just do a Steam-styled install.

Register it on Battle net when you find it. Then you can just do a Steam-styled install.

Oh snap you are right, I might have done that already, time to check my bnet launcher~

Oh snap you are right, I might have done that already, time to check my bnet launcher~

It's actually not part of the Battle Net client (for whatever reason). You have to download an installer from the Battle Net site when you're logged in; I totally forgot about this mess and how it works.

I'm probably gonna poke around at the game (The Frozen Throne rules) to get re-acclimated to things. I've played a lot of games over the last few years that changed my perspective on resource management. Back in the day I used to avoid getting into upkeep costs at all... cost. Now it may be something I embrace.

I'm probably gonna poke around at the game (The Frozen Throne rules) to get re-acclimated to things. I've played a lot of games over the last few years that changed my perspective on resource management. Back in the day I used to avoid getting into upkeep costs at all... cost. Now it may be something I embrace.

As a general rule, if I remember competitive play, you should be pushing into low upkeep as you first make contact with the enemy, but only into high upkeep once you think you have the game in the bad. A lot of the more food-intensive strategies (aboms/meatwagons, knights/priests, etc) don't follow that pattern, though.

All I remember is that Death Knights got lot of hates from Night Elf players for the longest because lvl 3 Death Coil can one shot the archer... until archers got 5 more hp.

Warmup AAR: I just won my second try at a four-player FFA with normal AI, the first having confirmed (for the nth time) that my beloved gryph rush doesn't work with the "new" weapon/armor rules in TFT. What does work, turns out, is classic knights/priests/HF with paladin support. I had maybe one bad brush with an Orc AI going buffed grunts and headhunters, used a TP to pull out, and then let everyone murder each other over the center mines while I did some light creeping and put out my first set of six knights and eight priests. I didn't have a single hardship after that.

Of course, playing with real people is different. Even on the highest levels, the AI diversifies way too much (for instance, the Nelf AI that was "winning" before my final push seemed stuck between mountain giant/dryad and huntress/archer specs that had no overlap or synergy) and that's not the death sentence it was on vanilla WC3 (see my much-mourned gryph rush) but still easily overcome by a mid-level human who knows enough to make sure his upgrades overlap and to push past at least one tier of units. Still, very fun and a good reminder of what masterful design the whole game is.

Next, I wonder if rifles/sorcs/poly is still viable...?

all range + hero nukes should be viable?  at least that's how I recall most of the games boiling down to (minus that one weird mountain giant chain taunt thing).

I'm really hoping for team game instead of FFA though :)

By the way, as far as my regional location, it's US West, PST time zone. I'm usually available in the evenings.

Edit - Started poking at the game like I said I would; still don't understand Night Elves and Undead as far as deep running strategy goes. But Alliance and Horde, I've got that shit down. I mean, as much as my skill set will allow.

Edit - Started poking at the game like I said I would; still don't understand Night Elves and Undead as far as deep running strategy goes. But Alliance and Horde, I've got that shit down. I mean, as much as my skill set will allow.

When I played WC3 back in 2002, I started with Night Elves, but I quickly soured on the rhythm of play with them and switched to Humans. They're so slow to build momentum, and I don't really like the feel of factions where all their frontline units are available from the beginning but need sequential upgrades to match other top-level strategies. Still, Druids of the Claw with Dryad support are very fun, if a bit too micro for my tastes (if you're going to use Roar and Regenerate to their full potential).

I'm interested in this, but I'd have to dig up my copy first and then there's still the issue of being in Europe.

I'm in Europe as well. Wooben's from Australia and the rest of you are from the US. If we go to europe b.net is everyone's ping at least below 150? Maybe US west instead, US east is no go for aus?

I got a pretty decent ping to California according to this http://www.cloudping.info/ so I'd be fine with US west. 

Can we do this sometime next weekend, 20th to the 22nd? It's been ages since I had to do timezones :(

How to embed polls D: most people are in favour of a teamgame over FFA then?

I got the game to run now at least, so that's a first step in the right direction.

I don't know, I've never really played this online and it's been forever since I played it at all so I feel like I'd get knocked out pretty soon in FFA, but I don't want to weigh down teammates either.