Sign in to follow this  
Vulpes Absurda

Rat Fur Dead - Warhammer: Endtimes - Vermintide

Did you ever wish Left 4 Dead had five distinct character classes, a loot system, and not zombies? Well do I have the game for you!

(If anyone can tell me how to embed video that would be great)

Everything I've seen of it makes it look like the Left 4 Dead follow up I've wanted since I got bored of L4D 2 so I thought I'd pick it up. Anyone want to join me?

Or you can just makes jokes about the movie Willard. That's fine too.

I've heard some people have had some issues but it sounds like they've been pretty good about fixing them quickly.

I can't say anything too specific though as I read about it on the Steam forums and I can only stare into that void for so long.

I'm eyeing this one really hard.  Probably going to buy sometime soon unless I hear some horror stories about it.

Mostly, I've heard about it from people loudly trumpeting their decision to jump ship from Payday 2. What I understand, its big downsides are i) it's highly focused on melee in an engine that doesn't particularly enable melee combat to be that fun, and ii) it's got a serious grind, on the same level as Payday 2. Still, I'm very tempted myself, since I'm also one of those people looking to jump ship.

Hmm, video game grinds do not scare me though.  I'm a full blown Korean.  I got MMO grinding built into my genes.

Apologies for that self deprecating racist joke but I love it.

Melee combat bit though, I guess it is time to do some research.

(If anyone can tell me how to embed video that would be great)

Just paste a link to youtube.com into your post and it automatically embeds the video, like this.

Your link didn't embed because the auto-embed only works for literal youtube.com, not the url-shortened youtu.be.

Lu, toblix and I have this. For my part, I wouldn't exactly consider it a revelation, and I definitely miss the versus mode from Left 4 Dead, but it is good fun. If you enjoyed L4D enough to want to play that kind of game again in the Warhammer setting, that is what this is, no bones about it.

Yeah... it looks like I'm getting it.  Sorry Gorm looks like CK2 teaching sessions will have to wait (unless you think vanilla is still solid) since I'll have to spend some $$$ on this first :x

Or we can play this together too if you want! :)

Just paste a link to youtube.com into your post and it automatically embeds the video, like this.

Your link didn't embed because the auto-embed only works for literal youtube.com, not the url-shortened youtu.be.

Thank you! I was beginning to think I still needed to post more or something.

Lu, toblix and I have this. For my part, I wouldn't exactly consider it a revelation, and I definitely miss the versus mode from Left 4 Dead, but it is good fun. If you enjoyed L4D enough to want to play that kind of game again in the Warhammer setting, that is what this is, no bones about it.

Yea, pretty much this, though I don't particularly mind a lack of Versus, as with Left 4 Dead it was usually 1 team having fun and 1 team having a real frustrating time. I guess the option would've been nice. Maybe they'll add it in a later update!

Anyhoo, from the little I played of it so far, I've been enjoying it a great deal.

oh god i just got it "rat fur dead"

you are the worst/best

This game looks real fun to me but every time I buy into these multiplayer games lately, all my friends quit on me after a week and I'm just like "but i still wanna... nevermind......"

Well Fallout 4 is about to come out so that's sort of a given. Still the mission structure makes it sound like it'll be easy to hop in for a quick Fallout break.

Also I'm Vulpes Absurda on steam should anyone want to get a game going.

oh god i just got it "rat fur dead"

you are the worst/best

This game looks real fun to me but every time I buy into these multiplayer games lately, all my friends quit on me after a week and I'm just like "but i still wanna... nevermind......"

I'll never quit on you if I can be a friend.

Probably.

Gaizokubanou is my steam ID, I'll probably get this game within this week?

I've played about four or so hours and my thoughts so far are: This is a game best played with other people for sure. Easy mode is pretty doable with bots but on anything higher the bots just can't keep up. It's still fun on easy, but if you don't want to play with randos I wouldn't recommend you pick it up without a group to play with.

I'm pretty ok with the melee focus. It's really only for trash mobs and while it feels as bad as every first person game it doesn't bother me any more then the bland shooting in Left 4 Dead where you just sort of aim for for the head with your pistol until a special zombie shows. Its not better, but its not any worse.

I don't think the loot will really hold you back from anything but the highest difficulties. For the most part it's really just incremental upgrades and various weapon archetypes, so the higher tiers are slightly better versions, noticeable, but not quite game changing. At least that I've seen, that could change.

As for the difficulty it seems fine but it's hard to tell with just bots so I can't really comment. Which is fine as comment sections are always the worst. (Ba Dum Tish)

This really is Left 4 Dead but with rats. I think it's a little better, but in ways that I think you would expect given how long it's been since Left 4 Dead 2 came out. Everything from the special Rats to the way you find medpacks and ammo is straight out of Left 4 Dead. If Valve wanted to sue I think they might have a case. I don't think they will, and I do think the game is different enough, but if you don't like L4D this will not change your mind.

Overall I think it's well worth checking out but I wouldn't blame anyone for waiting for the first sale. I think this game will really shine if people start getting weekly games going on the weekend. Matches are short enough for it and that's where L4D really shined as well. It would be to easy to burn pout I think if you made this your daily game in the same way you might a Fallout 4 or Metal Gear V. It's best in short bursts I think.

Mostly, I've heard about it from people loudly trumpeting their decision to jump ship from Payday 2. What I understand, its big downsides are i) it's highly focused on melee in an engine that doesn't particularly enable melee combat to be that fun, and ii) it's got a serious grind, on the same level as Payday 2. Still, I'm very tempted myself, since I'm also one of those people looking to jump ship.

Necro! A friend bought me this game this weekend for his birthday(?) and I'd be happy if any of the Thumbs who know more than me (read: everyone and anyone) would show me around sometime. Gormongous on Steam, as always.

Still holding out to pick this game off on a sale where it is 50% off, but it hasn't dropped to that price yet.

I'd be down for a game this weekend. It's been months since I played though.

Well, any help is welcome. I booted up the game and, despite all the talk of gear and levels on the internet, I couldn't find any menus like that and was shunted very aggressively into a single mission, the difficulty of which I couldn't change, and then died ten minutes in. I went to bed, maybe I'll try again tonight.

When you're in the pub you can press L to go to the server menu fast (every other menu has a short cut I think). Try to look for lobbies with Easy games since it's still quite challenging. the game lends itself to grinding out a difficulty tier until you can gear up a character or two with at least one of the next best set of equipment. You can equip loot charms to make sure drops only come for the character you're playing and you can look at crafting things up too.

I wouldn't try the harder or nightmare difficulties until you have a good trinket at the least since one or two hits will kills you by the end of the mission if you're low tier. 

Probably one of the handiest thing a high level friend can do is to run you through high tier missions so you can pick up some magic or rare loot.

Anyway i found the game pretty fun but I think I caught the game on the tail edge of it's popularity among my friends and I recently deleted it to make room for DS3. Would still play if I had the space.

I really wanted to buy this for about two weeks, then it disappeared from my friends list as well. What a strange flash-bang of a game.

I really wanted to buy this for about two weeks, then it disappeared from my friends list as well. What a strange flash-bang of a game.

I'm really digging it, six hours in, and I have two friends that are falling hard, so we'll be a feature for a couple of months, I think. Just a thought!