Jake

Idle Thumbs 234: Mister Neighbor

Idle Thumbs 234:

801__header.jpg

Mister Neighbor

Mister Neighbor has something great in store for you this week, once he's changed into some comfortable shoes. All he has to do is walk out of frame and suddenly you're somewhere new. You hope Mister Neighbor takes you to the factory to show you how the machines put together your favorite things, but it could be anywhere. Maybe you're on a spaceship, traveling from port to port trying to broadside a merchant ship. Maybe you're still falling down that infinite pit of blackness you find you return to in quiet moments. Maybe you're on hold forever with technical support. When you tell your mom about Mister Neighbor, she looks concerned, and tells you that's not his name.

Games Discussed: Rebel Galaxy, Torchlight, The Sequence, Operator, Downwell, Nuclear Throne, Resident Evil

Notable Js Discussed: J Allard, J. Rodkin, J. Breckon, J. Peterman, J.R.R. Tolkein, J.K. Rowling, J.G. Edwards, Joseph "J.G.L." Gordon-Levitt

It is my sincere desire that the continued appearance of Downwell on "Games Discussed" means that Jake's initial predictions about Chris' life being consumed whether he knew it or not are true.

Mister Neighbor's real name might be Fred Rogers, but more importantly his real name is Fred McFeely Rogers meaning he named the second primary character of his eponymous television show after himself.

Or after his mom, or whatever. 

It is my sincere desire that the continued appearance of Downwell on "Games Discussed" means that Jake's initial predictions about Chris' life being consumed whether he knew it or not are true.

Thanks for reading my e-mail on the show! I'm still trying to beat Downwell, I've made it to the end a few times but haven't beaten it. Right now I'm trying this thing where I stop my combos at 8 hits to cash out with the gem bonus to try to get the most out of the stores.

Another weird exercise I've been doing is trying to get through the first stage without triggering the music.

It seems the music starts when you land on the ground or kill an enemy, so if you control your descent and bounce off of 'junk' you can try to get through.The furthest I've made it is like 3/4 through the level and I think it's literally impossible on some boards, but it's a nice warm up before playing for real or cool down to try after a long run.

Thanks for reading my e-mail on the show! I'm still trying to beat Downwell, I've made it to the end a few times but haven't beaten it. Right now I'm trying this thing where I stop my combos at 8 hits to cash out with the gem bonus to try to get the most out of the stores.

I was really bummed last night when I got a bonus of 100-something and despite getting a Steam achievement, the actual in-game reward was still just 100 gems, 1 charge, and 1 health. Owned. I guess I should figure out the exact number at which the combo maxes out, and break every combo there.

I was really bummed last night when I got a bonus of 100-something and despite getting a Steam achievement, the actual in-game reward was still just 100 gems, 1 charge, and 1 health. Owned. I guess I should figure out the exact number at which the combo maxes out, and break every combo there.

It's 25. The rewards top out at 25.

Yeah, trying to get huge combos seems like it's not worth it. I'm not sure if the combo has any other effect though. For example, I thought maybe it increased the natural gem drops of enemies, but I definitely made way more gems by ending my combos early than I ever did doing long ones.

It gives you the +1 Health bonus once you have a combo of 25, I think. 

Edit: Beaten!

The person who wrote that email about horror games should send that to idle weekend as well because I bet Danielle would have something interesting to say about that. It's a shame we lost the resident horror expert (aka, the resident evil) right before Halloween.

This post may or may not have been an excuse to use that resident evil pun.

The person who wrote that email about horror games should send that to idle weekend as well because I bet Danielle would have something interesting to say about that. It's a shame we lost the resident horror expert (aka, the resident evil) right before Halloween.

This post may or may not have been an excuse to use that resident evil pun.

Will do, I havent listened to all the current games so I was unaware she was the resident evil expert.

This thread is making me feel better about my max combo only being 25. Clearly the rest of you are just inefficient, show off-y jerks! :P

It's making me feel better about my max combo being 12, knowing I'm getting that sweet gem bonus.  :P

(I'm terribad at this game, but I haven't unlocked Levitate yet either)

I had always assumed that the train in Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood was on a continuous track and there were no editing tricks at all -- just Hollywood magic and also real magic.

I don't know how to feel about the world anymore.

I had always assumed that the train in Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood was on a continuous track and there were no editing tricks at all -- just Hollywood magic and also real magic.

I don't know how to feel about the world anymore.

It probably is but they probably also cut the camera in there!

I just want to say that I've been listening to you guys for a couple of years and I'm just now posting for the first time. One of my favorite things about your show is seeing the title of the episode and being delighted when I finally hear where it comes from. You guys never disappoint! 

Besides the frantic arcade action feel, Nuclear Throne and Downwell actually share the same sound designer Joonas Turner.
Downwell's palette collecting saga has a huge twist ending as the final palette -

Hell is like the original but with red and black reversed!

post-26597-0-56481400-1446235900_thumb.png

The only ships that have full 3D movement in Rebel Galaxy are the smaller fighters. Any ship comparable to the ones the player can have are also locked to the 2D plane.

I really like Rebel Galaxy's custom music options. It lets you designate multiple folders for different in-game situations (combat, ambient, on-station), and gives you the option to either combine those tracks with the normal game music or completely override it. I dropped in a bunch of Cowboy Bebop music (more space blues and space jazz), and it's possible for me to dock at a station after a heated battle and hear the gentle strains of Space Asshole playing in the background as I visit the repair bay and get my ship fixed up.

I actually used to live in the real Mr. Roger's Neighborhood.  It's near where I went to college.

I'm currently working the night shift and my place of work is kind of out away from everything.  I take a road through some woods to get here.  Right in the middle of the talk about Resident Evil and other such games an animal of some kind ran out in front of my car and SCARED THE SHIT OUT OF ME.  I had to swerve a bit to avoid it.  Felt like more than coincidence.

I played some Downwell, and instantly felt that this was not a game that I was really going to get into. Three hours later, I put it down - but then I haven't picked it up again for a week, so it's unclear if I was right or not. Anyway, I'm not sure I see any real resemblance to Spelunky at all... the only interacting system I've really seen so far are the skulls that cannot be stomped if they have been shot. Why is this game not being compared to endless runners? Part of a new breed of Finite Runners, perhaps.

Unrelated, I have finally caught up on all idle thumbs episodes, so I am now a real person.

Nerd fail!

Maybe I come from a slightly different dimension where that's how it's spelled.

Tolkein and Hienlien are some of my favorite genre writers from the mid- to late-fifties.

Ah, the Dishonored Dimension.