Spenny

Walking in a WINTER WIZARD JAM

Just a little over a week till this starts. Are those people looking for teams successful in their endeavors? Any more we can do to facilitate the process?

I don't know about anyone else but I've not got a team yet; if I get no bites I'll see what I can come up with on my own I guess. Maybe an up-to-date index of people still looking + skills could help?

I think I am going to get in on this. I have a lot of actual University work going on but I feel this could help break it up and be an enjoyable experience. I have a rough idea for a game already that I kind of started very very briefly about 2 weeks ago so I will just carry on with this I think. Will try my best to complete this. I have zero experience of making games and game jams so it will no doubt be an eye opener.

Reminder that all my music is still available and free to use, if you don't have time to work with a specific composer for your game. Not a whole lot I'd call Christmasy, but it's there.

Also, I just spent the last hour futzing around in Fruity Loops and made a brand new Christmas sounding song. And discovered it's hard to make synth sleigh bells sound natural and real.

The song is called Ice Cube Christmas. I also made a version that ends how it starts, so it's easier to loop.

I just wanna start. I've prototyped a little to make sure i'm not out of my depth, but now i'm fighting the urge to just get going with it! I'm also busier next week than this week!

The diversifiers are:

• Super Briefly: Time is precious. The rounds in your game are completed as quickly as possible. Seconds in, a player is eliminated. You blink, and a victor emerges. Another minute, and the game has brought you to tears.
  • Focused Palette: Make a game using as few colours as possible.
  • Talk is cheap: Make a game which features no words whatsoever
  • Tone Control: The audio in your game is reactive and directly manipulated by the player’s inputs and actions.
  • Designer Notes: Include a director’s commentary in your game.
  • Crowd-sourced: Make a game which features tiny contributions from members of the forum/public. (Check out the team building thread to find willing contributors)
  • “It’s a Baby Game”: Think back to your youth and create a game inspired from a childhood toy or activity. Bonus points if your game can be played by a baby.
  • Hemispherist: Throw another shrimp on the barbie and make a game celebrating the Southern Hemisphere’s beautiful summers. Penguins in bikinis please!
  • The Great Gatling Gunsby: Unfortunately the practice of adapting classic literature to video game started and stopped with Visceral Games’ Dante’s Inferno (2010). Pick up the torch where Visceral dropped it and make a game that “adapts” classic literature. (Need some help? Check out https://twitter.com/ea_presents)
  • Dishonored Holidays: I don’t really know what this means but I think they generally happen a week before the regular holiday #HappyDishonoredHalloween !

Haha. I'm already following 2 of those and I totally called hemisphereist.

Those are some quality diversifiers! Now I have to see if I can incorporate one into the idea I had finally settled on.

Also, I forgot this started tomorrow! Probably going to lose a couple of days right of the bat. 

I am a man with microphones and a voice. I will record a director's commentary for my game. And... anyone else's?!

Uggggg this! It's been stuck in my head since I started working!

Well, they say the best way to get a song out of your head is to listen to it...

Edit: Whoa, my apologies, that previous link was NOT the space jam theme song. On the plus side, I found a playlist BASED on space jam.

Good luck to everyone in Wizard Jam!  Would love to participate but I don't think I am going to be able to fit it in this time.  Looks rad.  I look forward to playing some submissions.

Date: November 28th - December 13th

What time (and what time zone) does the jam finish, please?

I think it's 11:59:59pm est. Though I'll definitely add in any late submissions like we did for the previous wizjam.

I was planning on doing a bunch of different electronic variants on several Christmas Carols for people to use in their games, but my own game is taking way longer than it should, so I'll just post what I was able to do:

Carol of the Bells - Midi

Carol of the Bells - Dx10

Carol of the Bells - Fucked

Carol of the Bells - Worst

Carol of the Bells - Completely Ruined

And then I tried my hand at doing original Christmas-sounding music, and got this:

Ice Cube Christmas

Ice Cube Christmas (remixed at the end for easier looping)

Reminder: If you submit a game to the game jam page, the game jam page is really just a pointer to your game's page, so revisions you upload after the jam ends will still be pointed to from the jam page.

If you miss the deadline, Dinosaursssss, Zerofiftyone, or myself are able to get your game listed on the page. Just let us know.

Thanks, you three!

Can I suggest that everyone updates their thread title as they release (or bail or whatever)? It was really nice last Jam to see all the releases popping up on the board! (Edit your first post and use full editor to edit thread titles)