Fernus

Video Game Recommendations

I assume that not everyone can know everything about what new games are out, or even all the old ones that they should really play. So I made this thread where people can name some games off the top of their head that they enjoyed and other users could recommend something based on those. While similar games are fine, it is even better if you can recommend games that on the surface do not share a whole lot of similarities with the suggestions but would still be entertaining based on the aggregate of someone's list.

Some games I've liked recently:

Dropsy

Path of Exile

Dota 2

Binding of Isaac

Tropico series

Tales From the Borderland

Beginner's Guide

Over the last few months I've really enjoyed:

Grow Home - short, sweet and something you could enjoy with eg. A younger sibling

Machinarium - charming, not too hard, great ost

Witcher 3 - lots of tits in it, and also genuinely hugely impressive in lots of ways

Crypt of the Necrodancer - v.original, not reliant on random chance to succeed, awesome tunes

This may not be in the spirit of the thread, but I could use some game suggestions around a theme. I'm teaching a unit about games for the first time ever in my class in the next few weeks, but I'm having trouble figuring out what I can assign that:

1. Doesn't require spending money on hardware or software
  2. Would be playable on most any OS or mobile device
  3. Is something that people who don't play a lot of games can engage with

The goal of the first couple days of the class is working out a method for analyzing video games, so the actual thematic content of the games doesn't matter as much as if they're representative examples of what games generally look like. I'm leaning toward looking at older arcade games for their simplicity and TWINE games for highlighting narrative, but I wish I could have something that my students would more immediately recognize as like the games they know and love. Thoughts?

First thing that comes to mind is this browser game - http://adarkroom.doublespeakgames.com/

Should be playable on anything and it suits your purposes since the entire mechanic of it is that it slowly introduces you to its mechanics. The game itself grows and gains features over time, starting dead simple and slowly increasing in complexity (I guess it's a bit like that clicker game everyone went crazy over but I never played that).

There's a free, ad-based version of Threes. There's actually a fair bit of game design ideas you can dig into with that game.

Yeah, Crossy Road is on Android.

Hearthstone is on any platform, although I guess not playable in a browser, and the tutorial is pretty good for absolute beginners to games.