dartmonkey

Modest Tech: The NX Generation (Nintendo Switch)

11 minutes ago, dartmonkey said:

It's DOOM'S DAY!!! I've been downloading it all day before a trip on the Eurostar this evening! Had to leave the house at 94% complete!!

:(

(I know you guys probably played it last year, but I didn't so I'm happy!)

Sure did. That 60 buck pricetag on the Switch version is obscene.

2 hours ago, YoThatLimp said:

Nov 14th - Rocket League!

Nov 14th - Rime

Nov 21st - Tiny Metal (Advanced wars, basically)

Dec 1st - Xenoblade Chronicles

Dec 13th - Night in the Woods

I'm playing Night in the Woods right now on PC and I was just thinking how nice it would be to play it on the Switch. Not that I'll buy it again on a second system. Rime I never did get around to playing on anything else so maybe I'll get it on Switch.

5 hours ago, YoThatLimp said:

Dec 13th - Night in the Woods

Are you sure about this? I thought they were still being vague about that release date.

I also had no idea about Tiny Metal's date! Hyped for that.

So then, Doom! I've played a couple of hours on the train and it's great! Obviously, being one of the best received games of 2016. The master race will treat it like someone's served them a blurry turd on a plate but, having never played the original at 1080/60, it feels lovely and smooth so far. There's some vaseline on the lens and some of the UI text is small on the handheld screen, but everything feels smooth. I turned off chromatic aberration, whatever that is, and it might have sharpened a tad. Not really sure.

Again, I haven't had the full fat experience, but I don't feel like I'm playing a borked version. I'm ripping demons open on the train! If you've already got it on PC or console and you don't travel with your Switch, there's no reason to get it. If you're curious about a portable Doom (and certainly if you have no other means to play it) it seems like a real winner so far. I'm a happy camper.

It plays well on the sticks, yea? I’m interested but I’ve gotten the impression that the accuracy of the mouse is superior for the fast pace. I don’t have either version. 

The sticks are fine. I mean, obviously mouse will be faster and more accurate but it's not designed as a twitch shooter. You crack out your shotgun, get stuck in and then melee finish to get health. I'm impressed how well it feels like Doom despite having the trappings of any other modern FPS.

On the higher difficulties a mouse will no-doubtedly help you out. But for arcadey, strafe-tastic fun, the sticks work as well as keyboard-only did in the original. Doom with a mouse would be weird to me, but each to their own.

On 11/10/2017 at 1:57 PM, SuperBiasedMan said:

Are you sure about this? I thought they were still being vague about that release date.

I also had no idea about Tiny Metal's date! Hyped for that.

Ah, it looks like that is when the GOTY edition comes out, google must have just tagged that as the switch release date!

Rocket League is now out, and I think Skyrim arrives tmrw. Looking at my 'To Buy' list, the top half is now on Switch!

Moonwalker
Oxenfree
Stardew Valley
Steamworld Dig 2
Axiom Verge
Octodad
Rocket League
Inside
Firewatch
Undertale
The Witness
Quadrilateral Cowboy
The Last Guardian
Hyper Light Drifter
Superhot
Nier Automata
Edith Finch

Looking at the remainder, I'd say only The Last Guardian (and obviously Moonwalker😉) have zero chance of appearing. If Doom is possible, anything is. Undertale seems like a given, and Square announced they were going to be going mental on Switch in 2018, so I think Nier has a good chance.

Doom continues to be great. I died in the lava yesterday and just as I punched the A button to load from the last checkpoint, I saw Doomguy's hand as he sunk below the surface and did a literal spit take all over my screen. Brilliant!

I'm curious if anyone here is going to pick up Skyrim.

Yep, I've got Skyrim on the way. I never owned anything that could run it before this, so it will be all new to me. I am excited, having been hooked on Daggerfall and Oblivion in their past.

Great list - lots of overlap with mine, and other stuff to look up! I expect I'll get Oxenfree soon as I am in the mood for that sort of thing, and keep hearing good stuff. It seems like Axiom Verge physical release got pushed to January but I'm still going to hold on - plenty to play in the meantime, and I want the 2PP documentary.

The way things have worked out I'll now play Breath of the Wild next year. I suspect I'll enjoy Skyrim more without having that to compare it to unfavourably.

That Doom story is cool! I love that it's on Switch but it's another one I'm probably leaving 'til next year.

I've been looking for Switches right now in Japan for over three weeks. About two weeks left anymore. It's nuts that no regular electronics shops have the console in stock. Always out of stock.

Netshops have it in stock for some reason, but those bastards have all raised the price from the real retail price of ¥30000 to ¥40000 just because they know people will pay anything. That's about 300€ and still cheaper than the European rip off 370€ price in Finland.

Looks like I'm not getting a Switch for about a year still. Maybe next year this price bullshit is over in Japan and I'll pick mine during the next annual trip.

It's been mindboggling to see how Switch-deprived Japan is, more so since it's a Japanese console. Here in Europe the shortages are way over, and it was never that bad. Sure, apparently every single Japanese person is legally forced to own a Switch, but still. You can get one on the shelf over here in the Netherlands, whenever you want.

It has provided the world with many great photographs of Japanese folks queueing up though.

News of another welcome port, coming very soon:

I've heard great things about this, so will probably pick it up next week. What a wildly good indie roster this system already has.

Skyrim is a blast and works really nicely on Switch! I've kind of ended up doing a vague circuit of the main cities, picking a few big questlines and odd jobs here and there (haven't tackled much of the main story yet) but it's thoroughly absorbing. I'm finding the dungeons etc. nice and varied, with a real sense of adventure throughout. Playing as sneaky Khajiit archer. 

I'm really looking forward to playing Skyrim, but I've had to push it into the future, somewhere in 2018 if I can pick it up with a small discount. The reason is I've got way too much to play right now. I'm still wrapping up Odyssey (which remains delightful), I'm halfway through Outcast on PC (and I'm now kneedeep into it, clumsy controls and all) and I've just downloaded Xenoblade Chronicles 2 for review, which will easily set me back 50-100 hours.

Juggling three somewhat-open-world-games at once is more than enough for now!

After umming and arghing about a pro controller I've indulged my OCD and got a neon green and a neon yellow joy con instead, to go with the blue and red. No more controllers now. Too many controllers. But they're damn pretty.

I picked up Steam World Dig 2 after slightly losing interest in StarDew Valley after 35+ hours - this game is pretty solid! I'm going to go between the two during my daily commute until I get Stardew Valley finished. 

A good excuse to go back and finish this. I hope they add some more difficulty options to make it interesting for me starting over.

I'd not gotten around to buying the Wii U boxed set of Steamworld Dig & Heist, and now I have no reason to! Looking forward to this, probably even more than playing Dig 2. (Though I should prolly play both anyway.)

I loved Heist on the iPad but that doesn't have the Outsider DLC, good excuse to buy it again for Switch. It's a fantastic game - for what it's worth I prefer it to Dig 2, both excellent though.

I've held off on The Sexy Brutale for now, because I've read a bit about it very poor framerates and loading times - thought others might wish to know as I did hype the port here. Hopefully it will be improved soon as it sounds like a very interesting game.

Skyrim is keeping me occupied, in any case. I enjoyed playing it in my bed whilst it was actually snowing outside...when I left the house to buy some milk yesterday I felt like I was climbing the Throat of the World.

Having hesitated about buying a switch for months, they made me an offer I couldn't refuse: Mario Odyssey themed Switch + Zelda :). I've also bought Mario Kart 8 and Overcooked, being in a local multiplayer situation for the first time in ages. 

I'm really enjoying what I have so far, but do any thumbs have other ideas for good local multiplayer games that are not too fighty?

I am very impressed overall with the switch, and use it pretty equally docked and undocked. It's my favourite console for a long time.

2 hours ago, Dr Wookie said:

I'm really enjoying what I have so far, but do any thumbs have other ideas for good local multiplayer games that are not too fighty?

Depending on your meaning, Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime is a really good co-operative game though it does involve a lot of fighting computer enemies.

On 12/12/2017 at 5:32 PM, Simon said:

I loved Heist on the iPad but that doesn't have the Outsider DLC, good excuse to buy it again for Switch. It's a fantastic game - for what it's worth I prefer it to Dig 2, both excellent though.

I've held off on The Sexy Brutale for now, because I've read a bit about it very poor framerates and loading times - thought others might wish to know as I did hype the port here. Hopefully it will be improved soon as it sounds like a very interesting game.

Skyrim is keeping me occupied, in any case. I enjoyed playing it in my bed whilst it was actually snowing outside...when I left the house to buy some milk yesterday I felt like I was climbing the Throat of the World.

Yeah I just heard that about The Sexy Brutale, it's a real shame as I was looking forward to getting that on the Switch. As you say hopefully it's the kind of thing that can be improved by a patch. I've been really enjoying playing through Thimbleweed Park so I've got a real hankering to pick up some more narrative-based/adventure games on the console, it seems to be an ideal fit. Unfortunately A Night In The Woods doesn't seem to have come out yet; hopefully there will be more news on that soon.

As an aside does anyone know how the game Gorogoa plays on the Switch, has anyone here bought it? It got a really positive review on Rock Paper Shotgun but obviously that was the PC version, so I'm wondering if the experience translates well.

I've got it but I'm waiting for an evening when I can sit and play it with my wife. I've read that it works fine - touchscreen is supported undocked. It's a 10€ premium over the mobile versions but I think it'll be a good 'couch co-op' game. I'll report back.

Also, Mini Metro is coming!

Hi guys! 2015 here. Rocket League's a bit of alright, isn't it? After a couple of games I managed to score two beauties. I love my Delorean. I want an Ecto 1.

It's on sale over xmas 👍

Okay, Gorogoa report:

it works great on Switch on the touchscreen. You can double tap to zoom in on on every square while the whole grid moveable to one side. On TV it's stick controlled with a cursor rather than pointer controlled. A little cumbersome but fine. I'd stick to playing undocked.

Also, I'd recommend the Nintendo Power Podcast. It's Nintendo's own new podcast and the first episode has interviews with BotW devs. Lovely.

Happy Holidays everyone X 

9 hours ago, dartmonkey said:

Okay, Gorogoa report:

it works great on Switch on the touchscreen. You can double tap to zoom in on on every square while the whole grid moveable to one side. On TV it's stick controlled with a cursor rather than pointer controlled. A little cumbersome but fine. I'd stick to playing undocked.

Also, I'd recommend the Nintendo Power Podcast. It's Nintendo's own new podcast and the first episode has interviews with BotW devs. Lovely.

Happy Holidays everyone X 

Great, thanks for reporting back. I pretty much play exclusively undocked so this sounds perfect for me.