dartmonkey

Modest Tech: The NX Generation (Nintendo Switch)

Yeah I don't have or want one, so I'm out of luck. Was hoping it'd come out on PC. Alas.

Hmm. The save transfer is kind of useless - Edit. For me, although I guess if you've got kids and multiple(!) Switches in the house it could be handy - until 1) they've got cloud saves, or 2) you upgrade to New Nintendo Switch and need to do a System Transfer a la 3DS.

Their online thing needs to include cloud saves. It looks like they're teeing it up, but let's have a very boring, sensible solution here, not a Nintendo-like one, please.

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/gy5qzm/why-did-mom-hid-my-game

Soooooo coool!

I had completely missed that Hidden My Game by Mom is coming to Switch and 3DS. This is awesome. I have been playing this for a long time already on Android, but it's really great that they get ported to Nintendo platforms as well, especially since the console that mom is hiding from the kid in the original game is a 3DS.

Mario is really good, folks

Played for a couple of hours since I live in the future; some of the issues others have expressed with motion controls can definitely get in the way of a smooth experience, but otherwise everything has been wonderful. The levels are a lot bigger than I expected and truth be told I wasn't sure exactly what kind of experience I was going to be getting, since people compared this a lot to Mario 64 and Sunshine; neither of which I've played. 

Real talk Sunshine is a fucking great game and although the cave levels are garbage and the camera is pretty... subpar FLUDD contains exciting and unique mobility mechanics and anyone who shit talks Sunshine GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

DONT @ ME

I CANT FUCKING WAIT FOR ODYSSEY TOMORROW HOLY SHIT

I reckon so. I played for about an hour last night when it unlocked, it's not remotely difficult so far but it's pure joy to play and discover.

Done. Does anybody else suffer with thumb pain when using one joycon in each hand? It seems to be the preferred method for Odyssey but Pokemon Go destroyed my thumb a year ago and I have needed to make a conscious effort to avoid aggravating it. Hitting A is fine but the slight bend needed to press B is uncomfortable after a while.

I would absolutely buy a single alternative JoyCon with a traditional D-pad.

I have absolutely no interest in buying a pro controller, as it destroys my favorite thing about the JoyCons, which is two separate pieces. IMO it's the greatest thing Nintendo's ever achieved.

On 10/26/2017 at 10:14 PM, dartmonkey said:

A26FE320-3014-4757-9FE6-39F17FE14254-6665-00000A612CD877D9.gif

I love this gif because Tim is doing some pitch-perfect b-movie acting here

My gaming was growing stale so I decided it was time to... SWITCH IT UP!

I bought a Switch and Mario Odyssey last night, is what I'm saying.

Still on the shopping list:

BOTW

Mario+Rabbids

Golf Story

Any other Switch Sclusies I need to be aware of?

On 10/27/2017 at 12:14 AM, dartmonkey said:

A26FE320-3014-4757-9FE6-39F17FE14254-6665-00000A612CD877D9.gif

Reposting this GIF for the fourth time on the same page because we really can't have enough of it.

1 hour ago, Henke said:

Any other Switch Sclusies I need to be aware of?

promo324080340.jpg

I'll just pitch you on the one selling point that you probably haven't been told. One of the best things about Spla2n is that matches last 5 minutes at most.

I'm not that into multiplayer games(doubly so since I heard Nintendo will soon introduce a PS+/XBox Gold-esque monthly fee for them), so Splatoon (and Mario Kart) aren't very tempting.

The fee is $20/year, so it's quite a bit cheaper than PS+/Xbox Gold, but of course you get less from the Nintendo service. Splatoon 2 does have a very fun single player mode, but it's rather short (4 hours or so?) so it won't necessarily justify the price of the game. If you have lots of friends at school or work who play the game though, you can play multiplayer locally even after the servers have paywalled.

For what it's worth, I don't usually play multiplayer games at all, but I quickly fell in love with Splatoon 2. Hard to justify buying it, though, if you suspect that it is not for you. Hopefully there will be a free weekend at some point (not sure if that is a thing with Nintendo/Splatoon).

Picross for Switch is nice if you want to decrease your productivity by a lot.

Picross, eh? Never played any of those, but it does look like something I could get into. Thanks for the recommendation.

Man, I really love everything about Splatoon 2 outside of the matchmaking and multiplayer design.  Having to play the same maps over and over is a real bummer, also the whole time sensitive Salmon run mode stinks!

I'm really trying to be better about beating games on Switch so i need to get through the story of Stardew Valley before I pick up the new Mario game.  So much good stuff coming out though!

Nov 14th - Rocket League!

Nov 14th - Rime

Nov 21st - Tiny Metal (Advanced wars, basically)

Dec 1st - Xenoblade Chronicles

Dec 13th - Night in the Woods

It's DOOM'S DAY!!! I've been downloading it all day before a trip on the Eurostar this evening! Had to leave the house at 94% complete!!

:(

(I know you guys probably played it last year, but I didn't so I'm happy!)