dartmonkey

Modest Tech: The NX Generation (Nintendo Switch)

Oooh sorry I misunderstood. It does seem like a huge mistep they wouldn't put touch in a Wii U version, I agree.

I like it, I think. It's obviously gorgeous, and I think the boost system in the combat is kinda cool. I haven't played a "new-traditional" JRPG (like, ACTUAL TURN BASED, not a semi-action RPG like Xenoblade) in a long time, not counting Dragon Quest remakes, so I'm interested. It was really cool that the demo was meaty enough that I could play for an hour and a half, recruit the second character, explore a map, and find SIDE-QUESTS all for free. And that's just having played the Primrose start. I may still go back and see what the dude has to offer story-wise. Voice acting was terrible, though.

I've played about an hour and a half and have just recruited the dude. Couldn't disagree more about the voice acting! Yes, it's hammy but they really go for it - now the Xenoblade 2 voice acting was bad.

The visuals are lovely, although I'd like them to keep the character sprites sharp at all sizes. They can get a bit blurry. All told, I'm sold on it.

Oh yeah, that does remind me that the Xenoblade 2 voice acting from that Direct was atrocious. Hopefully there's a Japanese option.

Stuck to my plan and ordered a Switch in the run-up to Mario - I'm getting the Odyssey bundle with the red joy-cons. There are plenty of indie games I'm keen to play that are either out or imminent now...I'm pretty excited to be joining the Switch club.

I hope Bethesda's ports do well - I'm very likely to get Skyrim, L.A. Noire, and Doom in due course, having never had a powerful PC or a console to play those one when they were first released, but I wonder if there are enough people like me. I suppose they're banking on fans of those games wanting them as a portable thing. With Wolfenstein following fairly close behind the other platforms, I wonder if it's possible that the next Elder Scrolls chapter will get a simultaneous Switch release.

Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle

The boss from world 3 was a classic: a musical phantom boss with a fun (if not entirely well-produced) song spoofing the hell out of Mario. Nice high note in what is already a very fun game. The musical boss is a scarcely used fixture at this point, harkening back to Conkers Bad Fur Day, I think? The JRPG Rhapsody had a lot of musical stuff going on as well, but not sure which came first.

Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle is really fun. The focus on movement-based abilities makes the actual gameplay feel quite different from XCOM, and creates some delicious situations. When you manage to tackle multiple enemies, use team jump to get into good cover, shoot, and overwatch all on the same turn, it feels pretty good.

I wasn't super into the structure of the game at first, namely that each level has usually 2-3 stages, that your health carries over to the next stage*, and that you are scored based on the turns you used and whether all your team members survived. I just don't like systems that make me think "I did well on the first stage, but did do well enough or should I still restart?" Fortunately, at this stage, the added bonus of best possible score for each level does not seem to matter much. 

I do hate the look and typeface of the speech bubbles, though...

* Possibly encouraging someone, but not me, to use different characters for each battle.

I loved Rabbids. I am also completely shocked I didn't hate the rabbids! The game was so fun! As mentioned above, the movement mechanics really made the game shine.

I did find it fairly easy, though. I got a perfect for nearly every fight. I think I didn't get a perfect for... three battles? All in the last world, and one of them the final boss.

I am unsure I'll go back for any DLC they release, though. By the time that stuff comes out even more games will exist on the system. On that note, I'm glad it came out now 'cause otherwise I almost certainly would've skipped it in lieu of all the other things I'll be able to play in, say, six months. And then I would've missed out!

By the end, my fav team was Rabbid Luigi and Rabbid Mario. Up closeand personal. Rabbid Luigi dashes around setting up vamp on everyone closeby, Mario and Rabbid Mario wreck shop and heal any damage from the previous round. Heck yeah!

That team didn't do so well on the last boss, though, so I did have to switch it up to regular Luigi and Rabbid Peach. 

5 hours ago, Nappi said:

* Possibly encouraging someone, but not me, to use different characters for each battle.

I feel like an idiot for the fact that doing this never even crossed my mind.

I wish they allowed for a Luigi/Peach combo, I am finding myself just mainly using Luigi and Rabbid Peach instead. 

22 hours ago, Roderick said:

Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle

Reveal hidden contents

The boss from world 3 was a classic: a musical phantom boss with a fun (if not entirely well-produced) song spoofing the hell out of Mario. Nice high note in what is already a very fun game. The musical boss is a scarcely used fixture at this point, harkening back to Conkers Bad Fur Day, I think? The JRPG Rhapsody had a lot of musical stuff going on as well, but not sure which came first.

I can't agree more, totally awesome!

Ah yes, it boggles the mind why they used such an ugly font for the text balloons. It looks out of sync with the rest of the graphic design. Now I know we're all a bunch of typeface lovers here, but damn if it doesn't add a lot to the experience.

As for teams, I notice that I'm so tuned into the Mario/Rabbid Peach/Rabbit Luigi mashup that I hardly ever switch. Sometimes Luigi Actual joins in lieu of Rabbid Peach, but that's it. There's just never a good incentive to try out the others. Whenever I do give it a go, with Rabbid Mario for instance, it just doesn't feel quite right and I switch back to my original powerhouse combo.

And yeah, before playing I read some reviews that spoke of a difficulty spike, but that really never came. It's a pretty easy game. Fourth world now, and I'm still quite effortlessly getting perfect scores.

I'm halfway through world 3 and just started testing a Luigi and Rabbid Mario combo. I think I'll switch back to Rabbid Peach though purely because she's so consistently funny and well animated. No part of the previous sentence is something I ever expected to say.

Also picked up SteamWorld Dig 2 on Switch and spent all morning playing it. It's so great! I haven't replayed the original since the 2013 3DS release, but this feels very true to my memories while looking a lot better and being more polished generally. Image & Form keep going from strength to strength. (Maybe I should dig up an old SteamWorld thread, but I don't have much to say yet except "it's lovely").

I'm so happy with my Switch. At home I don't spend as much time with it as my PC, but just knowing it's there ready to throw in my bag for a long train journey or travel to PAX next month... ahh. But the rest of the time it's still a proper modern console! I wonder if my brain will ever learn to accept this.

On 07/04/2017 at 11:25 AM, dartmonkey said:

What ports would people actually like to see? Mine are:

The Witness...

Dark Souls 3/Dark Souls Trilogy...

Firewatch...

Spelunky...

Downwell...

FTL...

Inside...

Undertale...

Rocket League...✅

Portal/2/Orange Box 10th Anniversary Edition!...

...Doom✅

Looking back on the ports I wished would happen, it seems they've started on the list! Come on Firewatch 🤞😉

Edit.

And another one!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-09-23-playdeads-revered-inside-heading-to-nintendo-switch

Edited by dartmonkey

Ha, I was just coming here to post about Inside. I played it for an afternoon and didn't finish it. I should do that.

Golf Story came out today. It's like Mario Golf: Advance Tour. The GBA one, that's an RPG, made by Camelot. I've been excited since I saw the first tidbit of it during one of the Nintendo Directs. I've played about an hour, and it's exactly what I wanted.

SO YEAH GOLF STORY WOOOOOOO

I never played that and have never clicked with any golf games ever, having only even really tried a couple of the console Mario Golf games. Still, the idea of a sports RPG is intriguing to me. Is it worth a shot? What is the appeal/loop here?

It's a golf RPG. Stats. Quests. Equipment. Story. Exactly what it says on the tin!

It's pretty funny too.

If you don't like golf video games you won't like this.

So many games coming to Switch. Darkside Detective dev posted this:

6 hours ago, Twig said:

It's a golf RPG. Stats. Quests. Equipment. Story. Exactly what it says on the tin!

It's pretty funny too.

If you don't like golf video games you won't like this.

I think I'm going to pick it up after I finish the Mario & Rabbids main story mode, looking forward to it. Seems like a pretty relaxing, fun game. 

I have to say the Switch is killing it on the indie game front. I'm looking forward to OxenFree and Axiom verge coming out!

Yeah I'm finally gonna play Axiom Verge when it's released. Completely agree the indie scene is fucking good. It's been a huge saving grace for me, as I continue to recover from my busted leg.

Other indie games I liked recently:

Steamworld Dig 2 (very solid sequel to the first game, better and better)

Mighty Gunvolt Burst (apparently it's the Mighty No 9 everyone wanted, as it's legit a remake, plus you can play as different characters)

Thimbleweed Park (though I'd recomend PC, as the controls leave something to be desired on Switch, why couldn't they implement faux-pointer controls, it would've worked so well! ron gilbert hire me i'll do it i know exactly how to make it work i've set it up on my steam controller more than once and it'd feel way better with a single switch joycon than the bulky steamtroller please thanks - lots of 4th wall jokes everywhere, many references to past adventure games)

Slime-san (very competent platformer with 100 short levels, multiple styles of play, didn't mess with NG+ which apparently remixes them, but maybe I'll go back some day - the weird pillarboxing is weird and I'm not a fan, but it's all right... also it can be a bit buggy, i got legit stuck sometimes and had to restart the level, but it didn't happen often)

Retro City Rampage DX (finally got around to it, eh? it's all right as a game, it's got some... problematic shit from time to time, but is mostly just REFERENCE REFERENCE REFERENCE, the main villain is doctor buttnik ffs, also it has a Rad Racer segment which is like, that's THE racing game i played as a kid, and it sure hit me a nostalgia note)

Lichtspeer (while i like this, it is kinda... repetitive, and i'm not sure it'll hold up long term for me, but i might treat it as a game i just poke my head into every now and then)

GoNNER (pretty fun roguelike, and it's a pure roguelike, you can unlock some different weapons/backpacks, but rogue legacy this ain't, also got some cool style to it)

Non-indie:

Mario + Rabbids (I think i've said enough about this in places)

Disgaea 5 (never played a disgaea before, man there's a lot of systems, and they're fun if confusing to engage with, haven't beaten it, took a break once i got home to play persona 5, i'll get back to it some day for sure)

Yep, over the past couple of months there's been a deluge of really good games. My wife has really got into Overcooked so that's been on every night for the last couple of weeks. Puyo Puyo Tetris was discounted so I downloaded that (hoping it'll take the place of Overcooked once we're finished.) I'm eyeing Picross too.

Lego Worlds got an update in the week which improves performance a little. I'm warming up to it, although nearly all the control issues still exist - I'm just getting used to working around them. Ultimately it's going to become my canvas for slowly building a Twin Peaks world! That'll keep me busy for years, and hopefully the patches and QoL improvements will slowly appear. There's so much good stuff in there!

Mario, Doom, Inside, Axiom Verge, Zelda DLC, plus tons of other nuggets. It was a slow start but I'll be running out of time and money before games at Xmas. I think Rabbids might have to fall through the cracks.

Question re. Steamworld Dig 2 - is there any meaningful local co-op involved?

There's no form of multiplayer at all, sadly. But don't let that stop you from playing it!

So I know this isn't TECHNICALLY about the Switch, but anyone else get a SNES mini? I'm kind of blown away (ign.com) by how sophisticated Star Fox 2 is for a SNES game. Everything else is a known quantity (but I've never played Secret of Mana and never played a legitimate version of Super Mario RPG, so that's awesome!), but man: Star Fox 2 would have completely rocked my world in 1996, and is still really impressive now. Randomly generated mission structure, a constantly running timer while you're making strategic decisions about which missions are most vital in the defense of Corneria, MECHS! This shit is cool, held back only by the fact that oh my god the frame rate tanks so hard sometimes because of all the things it's trying to do. Anyone else giving it a go?

Almost all shops in Finland sold out SNES mini on pre-orders. There's one shop that claims to have it in stock, but are ripping off people with the price 159€.

As a device it would be really cool to play with it. I'm also really curious about Starfox 2.