dartmonkey

Modest Tech: The NX Generation (Nintendo Switch)

Same. I'm actually annoyed, for the first time in many years, that games aren't coming to My Console. It's just such a smooth system. D:

How much can adjust the screen brightness on Switch? Can you set it to be really low light so that gaming in dark is easy on the eyes?

I dislike PS Vita because it's so damn bright even on the lowest brightness setting. I can never play with that in evenings. 3DS has good brightness settings.

Yeah I adjust it all the time for dark rooms and it goes pretty dark. Dark enough for me, anyway.

Warning: auto brightness thing doesn't work for shit. It's literally never changed brightness on its own for me. Lame!

But it's as easy as holding the home button for a second to open up a quick access to the brightness setting, so. Easy.

I picked up the game IronCast which is like a tactical mech combat puzzle game? Seems pretty neat so far. I've been looking for something puzzely to play on the train and this is filling that need pretty well!

I was wondering if Ironcast was any good! Reviews were pretty positive. It's apparently a combine-3 rogue-like with British steampunk trappings.

I picked it up yesterday! I had played it before on a Nintendo event and discovered it was fun. The reviews were good, too. So far it's enjoyable, but I'm aching for the leap in difficulty. It still feels like tutorial land in the first few hours.

5 hours ago, Roderick said:

I picked it up yesterday! I had played it before on a Nintendo event and discovered it was fun. The reviews were good, too. So far it's enjoyable, but I'm aching for the leap in difficulty. It still feels like tutorial land in the first few hours.

Yeah, i'm nearly done with World 1 and definitely hoping things ramp up a little bit. I hate myself for admitting this, but Rabbid Peach is a pretty good character. 

1 hour ago, YoThatLimp said:

Yeah, i'm nearly done with World 1 and definitely hoping things ramp up a little bit. I hate myself for admitting this, but Rabbid Peach is a pretty good character. 

If you haven't looked at the rabbid peach instagram account, please let me share this:

The entire account is bangers, and I love it so much.

Yes, Rabbid Peach is pretty good. Though I temporarily ditched her as soon as I got Luigi Actual. He's such a glass cannon, but he can throw a mini tank and for fuck's sake he's Luigi. I'm hoping we get Captain Toad and/or Toadette in the party too. They've grown to become my fave Mario characters.

18 hours ago, jennegatron said:

If you haven't looked at the rabbid peach instagram account, please let me share this:

The entire account is bangers, and I love it so much.

So. good.

7 hours ago, Roderick said:

Yes, Rabbid Peach is pretty good. Though I temporarily ditched her as soon as I got Luigi Actual. He's such a glass cannon, but he can throw a mini tank and for fuck's sake he's Luigi. I'm hoping we get Captain Toad and/or Toadette in the party too. They've grown to become my fave Mario characters.

Rabbid Peach has a turret and can group heal! 

Ah yes, but Rabbid Peach's turret costs 20 points to get and at that point you only have 10! So I went with Luigi's to at least explore that mechanic. The grou[ heal I think will be really invaluable later on in the game. And since there's no level upping to be had, you can switch out character at will if things aren't going your way.

Beat the first world! Fun boss fight. Am excited to return to Secret Gardens to find all the hidden stuff now.

If Wario and Waluigi aren't in this game it is the worst game ever.

So I got and paired an 8bitdo controller in anticipation of Nintendo one day actually putting some back catalog stuff on the switch. It's pretty dope, but I don't really have anything aside from Puyo Puyo Tetris that I think would make good use of it. I don't have any of those ACA NeoGeo games yet, or other retro arcade games. Closest I've got is Shovel Knight and I feel like I've had my fill of that for a while. What recommendations do people have for games that cry out for a good d-pad/retro controller on the Switch?

So Suda51 of Killer7 fame is making a sequel to his No More Heroes franchise (last seen on the Wii), called Travis Strikes Again. Nintendolife just published an interview they did with him and it is outrageous.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/09/feature_suda51_on_travis_strikes_again_celebrating_indies_and_collecting_zeldas_korok_seeds

Just try to figure out what the hell this game will be, going from his words! He also has this choice piece of advice for the young generation that may have missed his Wii titles: "Then go to town and rub one out [gestures suggestively] and really get into the game!"

There was a new Nintendo Direct this afternoon, and my takeaways were:

1) Jeez, JRPG exposition is long and tedious and I do not care about it. A bunch of people must care! I am not one of those people. 

2) There's some Snipperclips DLC coming out, with expanded  and a new Snipperclips+, which is the original game plus the DLC. If you haven't picked up Snipperclips, this is a good game.

3) Doom and the new Wolfenstein game are coming to the Switch, which is a pretty big deal, actually. They only showed clips of Doom, but it looks like it's running pretty well?

4) Super Mario Odyssey looks completely nuts. There's an insane amount of content, and unlockables, and little moons to find. It looks like, between this and BotW, this is perhaps one of Nintendo's greatest years for game releases. 

xenoblade looks to have the same combat so i will definitely be staying as far away as i can from it, it's... not for me... at all

octopath looks and sounds fucking great so i'm stoked for that

mario continues to be perfect

i don't really care about anything else they showed besiddes a few indie games (golf story is apparently coming out this month heck yes!!!)

well surprisingly that 3ds kirby game piqued my interest, but i'll never turn on my 3ds again so eh

Octopath Traveller looks amazing. I really, really like the way it mixes 2d art with 3d world. The lighting also looks wonderful.

Super Mario Odyssey just keeps blowing my mind in all possible IGN ways. I'm excited about that game so much more than about BotW even though Zelda was an amazing Wii U game.

I have DooM for PC and if I were to ever play Wolfenstein 2, I would play it on PC as well, but it is really great to see a major 3rd party going almost all in on Switch. Skyrim, DooM, Wolfenstein 2 all coming for Switch. Though now that it is real I kind of would wish they would make Wolfenstein, the extra campaign and Wolfenstein 2 all in one package for Switch and not just the second game.

Also Microsoft/Mojang are such assholes, they announced Minecraft for 3DS and it has touch screen inventory management and crafting. Why couldn't they do the same for Wii U already?

The Wii U is dead. I don't think anyone is going to be making anything significant for it from this point on.

I think Kolzig is questioning why the Wii U version didn't have touchscreen stuff. I'm playing Lego Worlds at the moment, which is interesting, although the controls are a nightmare. It's screaming out for touchscreen controls and, after Zelda and Splatoon, gyro aiming feels like it's become essential too.

Doom baby, yeah! Just need the Witness and some of that sweet sweet Firewatch.

Yeah, it might be "dead" now as a platform, but back when they made Minecraft finally for it, was it two years ago? Then I never understood why they made such a lazy port without touchscreen capabilities when they could've done what they did eventually anyway for 3DS.

Nintendo is killing me, I still have tons of games on various consoles and PC to play in my backlog, but I have growing feeling of *must get a Switch as soon as possible*.

You don't have one?! I used my backlog anxiety as a flimsy justification for getting on at launch 😂 There's no time like the present!

I'm going to write a bit more about Lego Worlds because it seems to be a very soft launch on Switch and there's not much info on it. I got it with low expectations - all I really wanted was the ability to use a 'lite' version of the LDD PC app and run around the buildings I created. The foundation is there. The terrain deformation, animation and art design in general is great - it's a little fuzzy in handheld mode but otherwise it's fine. The vintage Space theme DLC is fantastic.

Leaving aside the slightly confusing and trite quest structure, which as I said I don't really care about, the problems are twofold. One, the input lag on the UI is really grating, and two, the lag is exacerbated by really questionable decisions re. the controls. Building/editing/painting/etc tools are accessed via a wheel that you call up. This is fine, but to access the wheel you have to hold X. Tapping X equips the last tool you used. And while a tool is equipped, you can't access the wheel by holding X - you have to put the tool away by pressing B, then hold X. So EVERY TIME you want to change tools you're waiting. I feel like I'm fighting the system and my instincts in order to use the game. They've done the hard work with the engine - it feels like they've really fallen at the easiest hurdle. By which I mean one would imagine it's an easy thing to rapidly test and change, unlike the engine underneath, which is really quite impressive here.

The solution is to map the wheel to a trigger and make it pop up instantly. Instead camera zoom is mapped to the triggers. I can't imagine how they came up with the current system. Perhaps users can fudge a workaround on PC by remapping buttons externally, but they're still stuck with that delay for the tool wheel to appear. Perhaps TT want to keep everything on the face buttons for kids or something. But the whole menu system is impenetrable. It's terrible. I'm going to persevere because I really like Lego and there's some impressive work under this layer of UI/control crap. But I understand why people who can't be bothered or who want an actual game would be instantly put off by almost everything here. Almost ALL the problems I've had so far could be addressed in a very simple patch. There was some minor furore about the game's minimalist icon on the Switch dashboard, which I really like! Apparently they're bowing to pressure and changing that. Hopefully they'll take criticism about the important things onboard too.

Also, this game has really highlighted the lack of digital manuals on Switch. There's just no info and the menu system ingame is slow, counter-intuitive and confusing.

Also also, after the gyro aiming in BotW and Splatoon, it feels awful to not have it here. Especially as you need fine, precise control to place pieces, etc. Again, nothing that a relatively(!) simple patch couldn't remedy.

So yes, enormous potential hampered by awful UI design, control decisions and sluggish menu performance.

Here in the Netherlands the Nintendo Direct aired at exactly midnight, giving it a special, magical feeling. Then followed 45 minutes of craziness and commercials!

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was indeed baffling. I just couldn't parse anything they were saying. After the instructive way Arms and Splatoon were laid bare, this was a hot mess. Still, I could see the fun bits in between all the tiresome exposition of who battles what and how.

Apart from that, stand-out moments for me were Skyrim (I DO NOT CARE, I WANT SKYRIM) and just seeing Koizumi-san, who is great. Pokémon was really rather lackluster, wasn't it? Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon just seem not that interesting. And Super Mario Odyssey continues to be something I will 100% buy and play, and probably enjoy the heck out of, but seeing footage for this game just never really works for me. I see it and think: those environments look a little too open for fun travel, or those challenges feel more like a chore than fun... and I know it's probably not that way, but I can't for the life of me shake that feeling.