dartmonkey

Modest Tech: The NX Generation (Nintendo Switch)

6 hours ago, ariskany_evan said:

It's been 9 years since I've played a proper Mario Kart, so I am very psyched for tomorrow!

Puyo Puyo just doesn't feel like a $30 purchase for me. I'd immediately do it for $15. I know that I'll only play it in short bursts.

So curious to see how the physical copies costing more than the digital versions will play out. This has been talked about regarding the Sony and Microsoft online storefronts for ages. Sony and Microsoft save so much money not manufacturing and distributing to sellers, so the argument says that those savings should be passed on to consumers, but then obviously physical retailers can't compete on price so they stop selling them in stores.

Here it seems like Nintendo is selling third party games at a normal cost online, and the physical version is $10 more expensive than it should be. You'd think that retailers would throw a fit, right?

http://www.polygon.com/2017/4/27/15458804/puyo-puyo-tetris-costs-more-physical-nintendo-switch

This seems to contradict this article from around when the Switch was released:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-03-10-why-nintendo-switch-games-are-ending-up-more-expensive

This seems to say that all Switch games that have a physical and digital release are more expensive, as Nintendo don't want to undercut the prices for retail stores. Has this already changed? When I looked at the price of Puyo Puyo Tetris, it was £5 cheaper digitally than physically. That's still £15-£20 more expensive than the PS4 price though.

I'm getting excited about Mario Kart as well - it'll be good to have a game I can multiplayer, although I am nowhere near finished with Zelda yet!

I don't want to alarm anyone, but man Mario Kart 8 Delux is pretty great.

I wish the online features were better, it stinks trying to coordinate groups of friends together currently. Hopefully once Nintendo's online system comes online that will be a little bit easier. 

I hope so too. I tried some rounds yesterday and though it was super easy to go online and play with random strangers, I had a tougher time setting something up with friends, without (I don't think at least) some rudimentary messaging system. Also: the individual Joy-Con are a pain to play with. It's not impossible, but it's quite uncomfortable for a game that requires quick reflexes and generally features a lot of frantic mayhem and jerking movements. Nintendo, hurry up with a colored/themed Pro Controller!

In other news, Breath of the Wild got patched and now you can choose different language subtitles for your game! So we can finally play the Japanese version with English/Dutch/Whatever subs! Nice of them to patch that in. Details of the first DLC pack have also been released, but it's not very interesting. The Cave of Trials will probably be fun, but also not what I'm playing the game for, and the higher difficulty setting might be fun as well, but the fighting is probably not engrossing enough to make that worth it. I'm expecting more from the second pack, which will feature additional story content.

5 hours ago, Roderick said:

I hope so too. I tried some rounds yesterday and though it was super easy to go online and play with random strangers, I had a tougher time setting something up with friends, without (I don't think at least) some rudimentary messaging system. Also: the individual Joy-Con are a pain to play with. It's not impossible, but it's quite uncomfortable for a game that requires quick reflexes and generally features a lot of frantic mayhem and jerking movements. Nintendo, hurry up with a colored/themed Pro Controller!

In other news, Breath of the Wild got patched and now you can choose different language subtitles for your game! So we can finally play the Japanese version with English/Dutch/Whatever subs! Nice of them to patch that in. Details of the first DLC pack have also been released, but it's not very interesting. The Cave of Trials will probably be fun, but also not what I'm playing the game for, and the higher difficulty setting might be fun as well, but the fighting is probably not engrossing enough to make that worth it. I'm expecting more from the second pack, which will feature additional story content.

Man, I'd love just a button I could hit to Spam all of my Mario Kart playing friends that I have a room open and looking for players, very frustrating its so bare bones. Otherwise the actual online functionality has been pretty good for me, I've read reports of disconnects from a lot of people though.

Also, I agree about the uncomfortableness of the Joy Cons. I bought a 2 pack of the joy-con wheels hoping that would ease our cramping hands, but it seems like the shoulder button paddles on all of those things are terrible so it takes a lot of force to actually use the shoulder buttons. I have huge hands and find the joy-cons to be OK, but my wife has tiny hands and she really gets uncomfortable after a few races weirdly enough. I might actually just pick up an elite controller for her to play with since she's enjoying herself quite a bit.

On 5/2/2017 at 9:26 AM, Roderick said:

In other news, Breath of the Wild got patched and now you can choose different language subtitles for your game! So we can finally play the Japanese version with English/Dutch/Whatever subs! Nice of them to patch that in. 

So excited to play this when my joycon gets back!!

2 hours ago, graddy said:

Tumbleseed is charming but really hard :(

Yeah, I don't think it's difficulty ramp is as good as it needs to be. Like, the devs did a reddit AMA, and the top rated question was about difficulty. I don't know if I agree with their response

The difficulty curve is something we worked on nearly the whole time making this game. I know it's tough but in a roguelike where you're playing over and over it's important that it be interesting to some degree whether it's your 5th or your 5,000th run. I still find the forest to contain interesting choices even though I've been playing the game for years now.

Another reason there's no difficulty modes: It wouldn't be the same game. Our game, just like our inspiration Ice Cold Beer, is about difficulty. If there was an option to change that, everyone would do it because they're looking for help and that would really change the experience and meaningfulness of coming to revelations on your own. TS is a weird game! It's a different kind of game. It's not about trying really hard and APM etc. it's actually about going slowly, being patient and "going with the flow" of the movement.

I know it can be frustrating to learn some of the hard lessons in TS, too, but it's really the best way to learn them. I personally believe consequences in games should be clear and decisive. If you can, try to enjoy the journey and the small victories. :)

I think that trying to make a game that is "interesting to some degree on your 5th and 5000th" is a noble goal. I just think that because of the fact that you don't directly control the seed, you have this second layer of difficulty beyond just the base game which makes for infuriating play sessions. Depending on the enemies the game throws at you right off the bat, you could have a fairly straightforward path through the first area, or be chased by multiple flying enemies as you maneuver through a maze of holes, and the game is profoundly punishing for small missteps, as noted in the polygon review. I think that there's a larger conversation to be had about modern difficult games as a way of appealing to a maturing audience, but god damn, I don't play video games to get frustrated. 

Wonder Boy is an old game with brand new, super pretty clothes.

It's hard, sometimes unfairly. It took a while to click with me. Dunno if I can recommend it, as it's not particularly unique, and it's kind of obtuse. But it's not bad. And it looks really good. So I dunno.

Anyway Mario Kart is still fuckin' sweet.

It is mechanically very old-school but it's just so damn charming. Something about the relaxing music and the art reminds me of Braid and I've spent 5-6 hours with it. That, and the different monster forms and the ability to switch styles instantly hooked me pretty quickly. I think it's an easy recommendation so long as you're aware that it's resolutely 8-bit under all the finery. But really solid, fun 8-bit.

It's too hard to be relaxing!! Haha. But yes otherwise I agree. It grew on me more since my last post. At the moment I'm stuck and don't really know what to do, though... I am a bird and went to the castle and... Now what.

I tried out the demo to MasterBlaster. BlasterMaster? Anyhow, I am very happy there was a demo, because now I know that I really didn't like it. It starts with an overly long Megaman 2-style cinematic with way too much writing [saying very little], and the gameplay I found overwhelmingly meh. Not particularly fun platforming or shooting. The only novelty is perhaps that there are various gameplay modes, and that there really wasn't a whole lot else to play on the Switch at first?

Maybe other people love it and will proceed to tell me it'll grow on you.

Nah BM0 is aggressively average in the most boring kind of way. I'm with you.

I will admit the dlc characters look more fun. Too bad it's too late for me to want to play anymore.

Whelp, after getting my new job I was jonesing to spend some money. Switches are still really hard to find around here. Nintendo lost a sale because I decided to buy a new screen and headset for my computer instead.

ARMS Nintendo Direct just aired: a bunch more fighters and a global testpunch soon to try out the game. I'm still not convinced it'll be more than a cute diversion. Splatoon 2, on the other hand, had its (inevitable) singleplayer mode announced and it looked utterly bizarre and fun. Can't wait!

On the other hand, ARMS still looks incredible and I suspect I'll have just as much fun with it as I did with Splatoon. Can't wait to try it out.

Pretty cool they have added so much content to Arms, it really is going the same way like Splatoon did a few years ago.

Also, Arms will get free dlc after launch, fighters, arms and other stuff. That's just excellent.

The weird thing about the global testpunch is that in North America it's six days, in Japan and Europe it's only four?

The small bit about Splatoon 2 at the end, it looks like this time they are really expanding on the single player content and the Splatoon lore. That's also really cool, I don't know if I can resist the urge in autumn when I'm going to Japan with my wife and daughter. I might buy the Switch, too many opportunities during the six weeks.

1 hour ago, Kolzig said:

Pretty cool they have added so much content to Arms, it really is going the same way like Splatoon did a few years ago.

Also, Arms will get free dlc after launch, fighters, arms and other stuff. That's just excellent.

The weird thing about the global testpunch is that in North America it's six days, in Japan and Europe it's only four?

The small bit about Splatoon 2 at the end, it looks like this time they are really expanding on the single player content and the Splatoon lore. That's also really cool, I don't know if I can resist the urge in autumn when I'm going to Japan with my wife and daughter. I might buy the Switch, too many opportunities during the six weeks.

just time-zone shenanigans at work here. Technically around the globe it'll span 4 calendar dates all told per test punch weekend. Also this is probably a good time for me to finally buy a Switch. They're still pretty common around in Australia I think, so I won't have much trouble tracking one down.

Also: yesssss

controllerSplatoon-300x287.png

I have been waiting for this to appear, so I didn't have to buy the black-on-transparant black Pro monstrosity. Preordering today and can't wait to play Splatoon with this come July 21st!

2 hours ago, Roderick said:

Also: yesssss

controllerSplatoon-300x287.png

I have been waiting for this to appear, so I didn't have to buy the black-on-transparant black Pro monstrosity. Preordering today and can't wait to play Splatoon with this come July 21st!

holy shit that is actually amazing

Damn, I really shouldn't buy a Switch this weekend just to get into that test punch but that is exactly what I want to do.

i need the splatoon joy cons

(still have absolutely zero need for a pro controller - that one looks super fucking good tho)

On 5/18/2017 at 0:29 PM, eRonin said:

just time-zone shenanigans at work here. Technically around the globe it'll span 4 calendar dates all told per test punch weekend. Also this is probably a good time for me to finally buy a Switch. They're still pretty common around in Australia I think, so I won't have much trouble tracking one down.

I went down to my nearest electronics/entertainment store and asked for a Switch and they were sold out. So uhhh, hoisted myself.