dartmonkey

Modest Tech: The NX Generation (Nintendo Switch)

It would make sense for the solid plastic case to have a different warp factor (is that a thing??) from the clear plastic screen. Heat will naturally do that after a while. Hopefully it doesn't get too extreme.

I didn't realize it was that subtle. Maybe mine is having a problem after all and I just didn't notice. I'll have to check tonight!

But maybe it's not a problem at all and the Switch is like leather shoes you have to walk in to mold to your body.

The Switch is slowly metamorphosising. Once the process is complete it will be ready to have the device inserted, turning it into a chainable supercomputer that will unlock the device's true potential.

15 hours ago, prawks said:

Screen side looks flat though? Saw some discussion on reddit suggesting it's not a bend as much as the back bulging a bit, either by design or due to some other flaw.

The screen is less warped - laying a ruler across it, there's a 1mm-ish gap at the centre of the screen - but it's there. 1mm is tiny but it's one of those things that once you notice you can't help checking all the time! The back seems to bulge more prominently. Could be a hernia.

There's going to be a wave of ports and 'Switch Editions' coming from big companies at E3, no? Bioshock Trilogy, anyone?? Never miss a chance to rerelease! But I'm actually excited by the idea. The evidence so far suggests Switch ports can hold up just fine (with expected compromises), depending on the engine.

What ports would people actually like to see? Mine are:

The Witness - I haven't played it, really want to. Blow very recently said it's coming to 'other platforms'. I think it could scale nicely to Switch.

Dark Souls 3/Dark Souls Trilogy - I played 2 when it came out, Zelda's whetted my appetite for another.

Firewatch - my stupid PC wouldn't run it.

Also, Spelunky, Downwell and FTL. Never played Spelunky and I'd love to take the other two on the bus.

Also, Inside, Undertale, Rocket League. Basically my entire backlog and everything that's been in a humble bundle in the past two years.

And Portal/2 - okay, this is absolutely pie-in-the-sky and superfluous. But I'd still buy it. Or the Orange Box 10th Anniversary Edition! It's like the White Album.

Were I to get any of these, I'd be very happy and my Switch would no doubt sprout hernias like Blade had kicked a blue syringe into it.

Edit. Ooo, and Doom. Doom would be lovely.

Any long form game I've had a passing interest in but haven't engaged with please.

The Witness maybe, Dark Souls definitely, Farcry 2 of course.

I have an extremely hard time believing that this thing could run Dark Souls 3. I can see it running 1 and 2, but not 3. Also to be honest I think those games would lose a lot of atmosphere on a small screen but your mileage may very on that.

The switch also plugs into a tv...

But yes I don't think it could run ds3 either.

Oh I doubt DS3, but I'd love to be able to just play DS1 randomly when I feel like it. It's honestly just a pie in the sky wishlist of things I'd enjoy, not thinking about any of the logistics.

Also realised another one, the Witcher. 

Something in my brain says Rocket League doesn't work for the Switch, but I guess Splatoon is just as internet needy and they're planning that.

It sounds very much like Campo is working on a new thing, so that sounds unlikely. I think Spelunky/Inside/et al make sense, but only for people that haven't played them. iunno, I'd much rather have fun and interesting new indie titles that take advantage of or had in mind the Switch's capabilities. I am very anti doubling up on games, though - Hollow Knight, new Shovel Knight, Rime, I think Mr. Shifty is coming out this week?, etc.

It definitely can't handle The Witcher, unless you mean Witcher 1.

I'm pretty excited for Mr. Shifty, might be the first game I pick up aside from BOTW. Looks like a good game to sleep/resume often on.

New Switch owner here! Had a funny moment last night where I was sitting comfortably on the couch with the Switch in tablet mode and had it held up in such a way that my tv was in view, and realized that my 42" tv is the same size as the Switch screen when I sit on the couch. Given the option to play on basically the same size screen, I vastly prefer tablet mode. Happy to have the TV option for Mario Kart and multiplayer, but I know that I'll otherwise be using this thing in tablet mode.

Curious to see how the battery lasts over a few years. Given that my phone battery seems to be functioning at half capacity after two years of heavy use, it'll be interesting to see how the Switch ages. 

I, too, am hopeful for smaller games on the system. I'd love a port of Invisible Inc. or anything turn-based like that since it's perfect for the pick-up-a-snoozed-system, puzzle-out-a-few-turns play. E3's just exactly two months away now, so hopefully that will bring a small handful of desirables.

The latest Nintendo Direct was pretty neat. Splatoon 2 has a cool/weird horde mode called Salmon Run and by golly, it looks disturbing.

Salmon Run was great! Also I'm really surprised that Arms is gathering speed and getting more meaty, they are doing exactly like they did with Splatoon. I think Arms will be a surprise hit for Switch.

Splatoon 2 will be a big hit for sure.

I finally saw the Switch console and the joy cons live today at a local electronics shop. I hadn't visited them in months and they had setup a Switch demo unit and got rid off the old Wii U demo unit they had there. Damn the console itself is small and the joy cons are so tiny! I was really surprised how neat the whole console setup is. The joy con dock thing seems to work great, the size is small but it felt alright. I have to go back there to test it properly later some other day.

Yeah, since setting it up in my house it's almost unnoticeable. It's nearly totally hidden by my amiibos, just a small unassuming thing beside the TV. If it weren't for the coloured joycons, it would be hard to tell it was there. I kind of love it for that. Easiest thing to set up ever.

I have a new thought on Nintendo Switch screen protectors! The local Mediamarkt offers something [relatively] new called Clearplex: a cut-to-order film they apply with gel specifically on your device. Mostly used on phones, but I asked if it was possible to apply it on my Switch and so it was.Now, it's not exactly tempered glass, but the benefits are that it's applied for you (relieving me of a big pile of stress), there's a warranty of at least two months and Clearplex is apparently some space age material that is also used on car windshields and by NASA. Self-healing, nice to the touch and almost invisible. Only worrysome thing is that there's not a whole lot about it on the internet, let alone anything about anyone using it on their Switch.

Inquery: does anyone have experience with Clearplex and would this be a prudent course of action?

I have no knowledge of clearplex. The only thing I've seen offered in Media Markt is plastering some nasty family photo decals all over my chosen gadget :P

Has anyone played Wonder Boy yet? I won't bother with a seperate thread if not but it's really really good-looking! I downloaded this morning and have only played 20 mins on the bus but it's fascinating. I can't stop hitting ZR to swipe between the art styles. I'm (obviously) on Switch but it's on other platforms too.

I hear it's fun. Man, there's really a lot of stuff coming out on Switch in the coming period. Getting psyched for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, but it's too soon! I'm way not done yet with Breath of the Wild, gimme another two months before the next big hitter arrives!

Puyo Puyo Tetris is out. It is also budget priced. Just buy the damn thing. I have put so much time into an imported Xbone copy that I can't understand even a little bit. So excited to be able to read the menus and try some modes that I didn't just luck into discovering were amazing multiplayer. If fumbling in the menus and clicking random shit got me an amazing experience with friends, imagine what it's like to understand what I'm clicking on!

I have never owned a Mario Kart game and only played previous games in the series a couple of times, but I'm excited to get in on that crazy Luigi death stare action. I'm about done with Breath of the Wild too (well, the story and shrines anyway; I will probably still return to it quite often). The only thing that is holding me back a little bit is that I probably wouldn't be able to play local multiplayer that often. I imagine that playing with friends on the same couch is the best way to experience Mario Kart, but is the game still fun when played single player or online?

Mario Kart is pretty good on your own and I expect online multiplayer is pretty solid too. But yes, nothing beats couch-based competition. One more day before it's out!

Clearplex update: I had it installed last week and I was very impressed. The screen protector is clear as day and very smooth/glass-like to the touch. The only bother was that there was still a single mote of dust trapped underneath and there was a weird horizontal line in the screen, so I had it redone today (at no cost of course) and now it seems perfect. For 20 euros I will gladly do this again for any future gadgets, it's a great service and takes a ton of stress away with the application.

So, Puyo Puyo Tetris, eh?

I was in Media Markt today and I think they have clearplex. I'm going to wait and see if my Switch warps any more.

Puyo Puyo seems just a mite too expensive at £34.99. I might wait a bit. I can already see that I'll be spending the next few months resisting MK8D. I've already got it on Wii U with the DLC! It's fantastic but my brain is telling me that that money would be better spent on new things.

Also, new law, everybody with a Switch needs Wonder Boy.

12 hours ago, Nappi said:

I have never owned a Mario Kart game and only played previous games in the series a couple of times, but I'm excited to get in on that crazy Luigi death stare action. I'm about done with Breath of the Wild too (well, the story and shrines anyway; I will probably still return to it quite often). The only thing that is holding me back a little bit is that I probably wouldn't be able to play local multiplayer that often. I imagine that playing with friends on the same couch is the best way to experience Mario Kart, but is the game still fun when played single player or online?

i'm in a similar boat! Not sure how much local multiplayer I'd actual play.

I do say though, I wish it had come out a week earlier because i was watching my 5 year old niece last weekend and she has a game on her leap pad that is like a edu-tainment version of Mario Kart, i think she would have gotten a kick out of playing some co-op.

It's been 9 years since I've played a proper Mario Kart, so I am very psyched for tomorrow!

Puyo Puyo just doesn't feel like a $30 purchase for me. I'd immediately do it for $15. I know that I'll only play it in short bursts.

So curious to see how the physical copies costing more than the digital versions will play out. This has been talked about regarding the Sony and Microsoft online storefronts for ages. Sony and Microsoft save so much money not manufacturing and distributing to sellers, so the argument says that those savings should be passed on to consumers, but then obviously physical retailers can't compete on price so they stop selling them in stores.

Here it seems like Nintendo is selling third party games at a normal cost online, and the physical version is $10 more expensive than it should be. You'd think that retailers would throw a fit, right?

http://www.polygon.com/2017/4/27/15458804/puyo-puyo-tetris-costs-more-physical-nintendo-switch

I welcome this difference. I actually think that gamers won't be swayed either way on a large scale. People prefer either digital games or physical copies. If someone is intent on having a nice row of games on their shelf, they'll pay ten golden coins more for it. And for digital-only people, it's only reasonable that the savings are passed on to them.