dartmonkey

Modest Tech: The NX Generation (Nintendo Switch)

3 hours ago, graddy said:

On PC the combined price of base and expansion comes to 26 dollars. I know consoles are more expensive. Something I need to get used to after not doing any meaningful console gaming since 2013 when I built my gaming PC. 

On the bright side, there's basically nothing to buy so I end up spending net less on switch games :D

I too only ever played the base game, so a chance to have Rebirth++++ on the Switch is good. Once there's a nice deal on it, in any case.

I bought Snake Pass because the Switch is starving for content or whatever and I was desperate(??).

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/snake-pass-wants-to-reprogram-your-gamer-brain-and-you-should-let-it

This article expresses my opinion for me, so I'll just share that.

It's a hard recommend because I know so many people will be put off by the learning curve. But I also know that now that I have a feel for it, it's so satisfying to slither up and around a series of bamboo poles to get that coin way up high. I adore this game.

One big problem: the camera is shit. It's not good. It's my only complaint, but a bad camera in a 3D platformer(?) is a pretty heinous sin.

The game is also available on Steam, but I got it on the Switch so I'm talking about it here!! HAHAHA!

EDIT: I don't know why I didn't just make a new thread...

*copies*

*pastes*

I'll be picking up Snake Pass tonight. It'll be a nice prelude to Yooka-Laylee.

So I've been playing KoF '98 a bit. It would have been good to have the resolution options explained more clearly - I had to search and test for the cleanest option at 720/1080 - and if you want to use a joycon each in 2 player, you need to set that up before you start the game. It took a little time to get my head around the Neo Geo CDBA button arrangement (and I think Hamster could have done a better job of explaining beyond the list of letters and icons), but it's a nice package. The sticks are too jittery on the menus (I've taken to using the d-buttons to navigate them) but work fine in-game for a button masher like me. The game itself, though? The art and animation is incredible! I'm shite at fighting games but it's fun to turn the difficulty way down and just see the fighters and the stages.:tup:

I made a Snake Pass thread! But just real quick: beyond the graphical style, they don't have a lot in common.

On 3/30/2017 at 9:52 AM, Twig said:

It's a hard recommend because I know so many people will be put off by the learning curve. But I also know that now that I have a feel for it, it's so satisfying to slither up and around a series of bamboo poles to get that coin way up high. 

why does a snake need coins

where does a snake keep coins

The new -gate is here - Warpgate. And it seems I'm affected! It wasn't until I read about it that I noticed but my Switch has warped a tad. Not much but noticeably without needing a ruler. Too early to know the cause, though people are speculating it's the heat when docked. When played handheld your hands do naturally apply pressure to the screen but I've been SUPER careful with the console (e.g. I've treated it like a newborn and have most definitely NOT sat on it). I wonder how this will pan out. For a tablet I'd say most companies would call it a natural 'variation' or something, but with Switch relying on the (presumably non-warping) dock, they'll have to address this at some point. It'll be fine, but I'm now mildly concerned about my 100 hours of Zelda!

Anybody else got a wonky Switch?

Never heard of this one before! I haven't noticed anything here with mine. Mostly played docked. Do report back with any new info you might come across on the topic.

On the one hand I'm not happy to hear people are having issues. On the other hand SWEET VINDICATION:

On 3/4/2017 at 2:28 PM, Vulpes Absurda said:

This is a neat piece of tech for sure but there's so many points of failure on this thing that it has the potential to be a Red Ring Of Death level disaster. Between the left joycon issue, the people reporting scratching on the screen when using the dock, the way the joycons attach to the tablet having about six different ways it could fail, this thing could turn out to be a real nightmare. Or if could be fine. Who knows.

Okay maybe I'm jumping the gun but hey we might all get some free virtual consoles games with our free warranty replacments!

I dunno, it's crap but to be expected. The only launch console I've got that's had zero problems is the Wii. Nintendo are transferring your saves to your new unit, and hopefully those cloud saves are coming in the autumn anyway. If ten months from now my Switch is a boomerang, I can still send it away for repair/replacement.

Is anybody playing Fast RMX? I downloaded it to try out the multiplayer and as a less intense alternative to Zelda but 1) I've got no friends, and 2) it's so easy to dive into Zelda for 5-10 mins that I've only played about half an hour of Fast so far. Seems fun.

Same. No issues except joycon. Even the joycon thing stopped happening somehow?? No idea how that works.

To be honest, it's the most solid piece of gaming hardware ice used since the GBA. It's been a while since I've been this satisfied. It's so pleasant to use, and so quick and snappy. 

3 hours ago, dartmonkey said:

it's so easy to dive into Zelda for 5-10 mins that I've only played about half an hour of Fast so far. Seems fun.

You've got to be joking. Whenever I play Zelda it's suddenly 3,5 hours later and time to go to bed. 5-10 minutes is enough to just about nothing at all. Like, run up a hill and then see another hill that you want to climb and time's up!

I mean on bus journeys or times like that when I HAVE TO quicksave and stop. At home it's a nightmare. It's suddenly 3,5 hours later and bedtime was 3 hours ago.

2 hours ago, Twig said:

Same. No issues except joycon. Even the joycon thing stopped happening somehow?? No idea how that works.

To be honest, it's the most solid piece of gaming hardware ice used since the GBA. It's been a while since I've been this satisfied. It's so pleasant to use, and so quick and snappy. 

Ditto, sans the joycon issue, mine's been fine. A little tight in the dock but I put a tempered glass screen protector on it so it doesn't worry me.

One thing I can't quite figure out: if it's sleeping in the dock, how can you wake it with the joycons? I haven't figured out a quick way to do it, but if I just keep pushing different buttons eventually the console turns on. Takes some time though. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason, and I don't have any joycon reception issues when I'm playing so I don't think that's it?

Home button on the right joycon, haha.

Yeah, my switch is slight cupped on one side, hope it doesn't turn to to be an issue! My left joycon had some issues at first but yeah, like Twig mine seems to have just went away on its own?

8 hours ago, Twig said:

Home button on the right joycon, haha.

I... I... I swear I tried that... wow how silly. Yup, works. :getmecoat

I mean.. you should be happy. Some people are willing to pay extra for a curved TV, and you got a curved handheld for free.

Seriously though, that is a weird problem. 

14 hours ago, dartmonkey said:

I just took a couple of photos to demo warp factor 1.

20170406_074716849_iOS_zpspnygobql.jpg

20170406_074819137_iOS_zpssufoemzr.jpg

Screen side looks flat though? Saw some discussion on reddit suggesting it's not a bend as much as the back bulging a bit, either by design or due to some other flaw.