dartmonkey

Modest Tech: The NX Generation (Nintendo Switch)

Yeah that screen protector is pretty nice. I did screw mine up a little bit but it's just an air bubble over the top right corner so I'll wait until I pick up another two pack and install the other one it came with

Thank you for the write-up, RubixsQube, that's very helpful. I think I'll get one too. Already a little anxious about putting it on without any gaffes, but I'll just have to deal with it. Is a steamy bathroom for real the best atmopheric condition to place the screen?

Also, is there an internet place where these things are quality-yet-cheap, for Europe?

I just ordered a couple from eBay, for a few euros. I'll report the quality when they turn up. I wasn't aware about the steamy bathroom thing either.

I read yesterday that your playtime per game shows once you've owned a game for 10 days. I just checked and I've clocked up over 40 hours on Zelda so far, only one dungeon in!

Yep, I've heard the bathroom thing is a pretty good trick. I've just ordered another set and will try again.

That's an expensive trip, considering those tempered glass protectors are what, 15 euros?

9 hours ago, Roderick said:

Thank you for the write-up, RubixsQube, that's very helpful. I think I'll get one too. Already a little anxious about putting it on without any gaffes, but I'll just have to deal with it. Is a steamy bathroom for real the best atmopheric condition to place the screen?

Also, is there an internet place where these things are quality-yet-cheap, for Europe?

So, I actually can't say if the bathroom trick helped, but I was mostly happy since it's a fairly bright room, with ceiling lights that allowed me to easily check whether or not the surfaces were perfectly clean of dust. The steps you go through, in more detail, are:

1) Wash your hands. 

2) Remove any joy-cons, and lay the switch down on it's back. I put it down on a flat surface where I'd lay out some clean butcher paper.

3) Open up the wet nap satchel with the wet cloth, and cloth down the screen.

4) Open up the wet nap satchel with the dry cloth, and dry the screen. At this point, the screen was pretty immaculate.

5) For any weird spots, there's a little microfiber cloth you can use to just make double quintuple sure.

6) Open up one of the baggies with the tempered screen. It is sandwiched between two plastic layers on either side. One plastic layer has flaps on either side for holding when you apply the screen protector, and the other has a tab with some writing on it. You're going to want to remove this second layer, the one with the writing, to expose the side of the tempered glass with the adhesive that's gonna lay down on the screen directly.

7) At this point, make your final check over whether or not there are any pieces of dust or hair or lint or whatever on the screen.

8) Using the side tabs, hover the screen just over the switch, trying to align everything using the little notches on the bottom. You're going to want to set it down fairly straight, and you'll find that because it's not a cheap piece of plastic film, it'll kind of smooth it's way out gradually as it lays down. It's a pretty process.

9) Remove the top layer of film that has the side tabs you just used to apply the glass.

10) Inevitably, there will be a few smallish bubbles. Use the included hard piece of cardboard to push these out. Make sure to go around the edges of the screen protector, too, pushing everything down to apply the protector.

Ta-da! 

Thanks! But boy, this is already causing me anxiety. Is there a service where I can pay a person some money to do this perfectly? Maybe I should just go to my friend's to get it done. I can't handle the pressure!!

Did anybody else find their Switch's joycon were really under-charged? The left one lost battery within a couple minutes, and although it's charging now, I'm worried it's a symptom of something

Has anybody tried the Neo Geo games? I downloaded King of Fighters 98 out of curiosity - never played a KoF and this is supposed to be a good one. I fired it up briefly to look at the display options. You can move, rotate and resize the screen and add scan lines to your heart's content. I can't find a 1:1 pixel mode but the package seems pretty good, if sluggish. I'll play it tonight.

It was tough to find any solid opinions or information on these games. Does anyone have experience with them (either on Switch or previously)?

I picked up Metal Slug on a whim, was hoping to play some with some buddies this weekend. Let me know how KoF is!

I'm curious about playing those without a pro controller, as the basic joycon don't have proper d pads. What are you using? Can you speak to the experience of just using joycon? It's honestly the main thing that's holding me back from taking a dip in a few of those.

31 minutes ago, miffy495 said:

I'm curious about playing those without a pro controller, as the basic joycon don't have proper d pads. What are you using? Can you speak to the experience of just using joycon? It's honestly the main thing that's holding me back from taking a dip in a few of those.

I played a bit of Shovel Knight using the joycons and I never quite got the hang of it. It's a precision action-platformer, and you really need to have the ability to quickly go from one direction to the other to land difficult jumps and strikes, and I was never fully comfortable using either the joystick or the button d-pad. It always felt more dangerous than it should have. Other people have found that over time they get used to it, but I have played enough platformers in my life (I used to play a ton of Spelunky using an SNES controller) to know that things felt off with the joycon. I recently found a Switch Pro Controller, and it's night and day in terms of my ability to play Shovel Knight. Again, I have read a lot of people found it perfectly enjoyable with the joycon, but that was not my own experience. 

Fair enough. I feel weird when I even used d-pads on the PSP. Separate button d-pads just feel very wrong to me. Looks like I won't be buying anything like that until the stores nearby start getting pro controllers back in stock. Sort of bums me out for the prospect of Virtual Console, honestly. I'm sure it will be fine with a pro controller, but if it feels bad with the joycon then playing those games in bed just got a lot trickier.

Aw man, I hadn't thought of that before and now I may actually want to get a pro controller just for that purpose. 

As a D-pad, the buttons are useful only for navigating menus. The sticks work fine for casual play. A single joycon is obviously suboptimal but being able to break them off for 2player is worth it. For extended periods you'll want two, or the pro if you're serious.

I'm hoping Nintendo will release a yellow left joycon with a d-pad in place of the stick, not the buttons. Then you've got the best of all worlds.

Yeah, if they decide to make a different model of joycon with a real d-pad that would be an instant buy.

I have yet to need a real d-pad for anything. Definitely won't be buying a pro controller, like, ever. 

But the right button on the fake d-pad doesn't work right. I have to press hard for it to register. It's annoying. ):

So third time was the charm for the tempered glass protector. I have two motes of dust on the bezel but 0 bubbles so I'm happy, hah. 

I picked up World of Goo and Binding of Isaac which are good. I'm still trying to figure out Boi, but it seems to be a good port. 

35 minutes ago, YoThatLimp said:

So third time was the charm for the tempered glass protector. I have two motes of dust on the bezel but 0 bubbles so I'm happy, hah. 

I picked up World of Goo and Binding of Isaac which are good. I'm still trying to figure out Boi, but it seems to be a good port. 

1) Awesome

2) I really wish that Binding of Isaac had an entirely different aesthetic, since it has completely made what I think would be a neat game into something I have no interest in. 

Who's excited for the Splatoon 2 test-fire? I don't have a Switch myself so I won't be partaking, but gimme a holla if y'all want Splatoon tips

I've always liked that Binding of Isaac is so aggressively gross.

Aggrossive?

Sorry.

But yeah I can totally understand why anyone would be put off by the aesthetic, because it is definitely not an attractive one. It's interesting how such a strongly focused gameplay structure is paired with such an intense style and theme. That's kinda Edmund's bread and butter, I guess. Just so happens this time it's an offputting style and theme.

I played 1-2 Switch and it's actually a lot of fun for what it is (which is a minigame collection where you compete with other people...). What's really terrible about it, though, is how there's just no structure to it whatsoever. You literally choose from a list of 28 games (each entry taking up a whole screen) and then play that. There's an arbitrary "you beat the previous score of..." feature, but that's literally it! Give me a randomly assorted tournament structure so I can more formally compete with my friends! Make it WarioWare style! It's such an easy problem to solve. I'm utterly baffled by it.

And it's definitely not worth the fifty buckaroos they're asking. Jesus.

The HD rumble is legitimately cool, to echo everyone I've seen talk about it. It's cliché at this point, but it really does feel like balls rolling around in a box. Still not sure what great benefit it'll add to, I hate to say it, "real games", but hey. It's definitely a cool thing that it works as well as it does.

Bomberman is fun. I guess there were some major input lag issues at one point, but they've been patched out. Framerate still drops. AI bombermen are... ridiculously amazing at dodging bombs. And yuou're forced to play with either four or eight people. So you're stuck with AI unless you have exactly that amount of people playing. Another easy problem to solve, but for some reason... Well, cheap cash-in I guess.

SNIPPERCLIPS THO. THAT'S THE HOT SHIT. DANG!!!

10 hours ago, YoThatLimp said:

Clarify this for me: did you actually buy three separate protectors, throwing each one away as soon as the application of said protector had failed? Or can you try again with the same one? Because holy shit, that is terrifying. Those things ain't cheap!

Binding of Isaac grosses me out a little, but the gameplay is very interesting. It's mainly the poop that disturbs me.

Oh and eRonin, I'm likely to try our the Splatoon Testfire Event. I downloaded the game already, so now it's just waiting until next week. I'll probably suck amazingly, I only ever played three rounds of it.

7 hours ago, Roderick said:

Clarify this for me: did you actually buy three separate protectors, throwing each one away as soon as the application of said protector had failed? Or can you try again with the same one? Because holy shit, that is terrifying. Those things ain't cheap!

Binding of Isaac grosses me out a little, but the gameplay is very interesting. It's mainly the poop that disturbs me.

Oh and eRonin, I'm likely to try our the Splatoon Testfire Event. I downloaded the game already, so now it's just waiting until next week. I'll probably suck amazingly, I only ever played three rounds of it.

The one I bought on Amazon was actually a 2 pack for ~$10 shipped, I royally screwed up the first two because I am a dummy. 

Also I agree with the consensus that Binding of Isaac is gross, I have a few friends who love it though so thought this would be a neat thing to play on my daily commute, 

Also, heck yes - looking forward to playing Splatoon for the first time (I didn't have a Wii-U).