dartmonkey

Modest Tech: The NX Generation (Nintendo Switch)

I think the reason Skyrim is like "real" 3rd party support is maybe a bit of optimism, but also the fact that it's a very gamey ass game. It's a big popular AAA game that doesn't seem like it would run well on a poor specced system.

I don't think that's particularly accurate tbh. But 3rd party support for the Switch would be a boost more than anything else. Letting me play games mobile-y would be nice but I'm fine with using my PC otherwise.

6 minutes ago, SuperBiasedMan said:

I think the reason Skyrim is like "real" 3rd party support is maybe a bit of optimism, but also the fact that it's a very gamey ass game. It's a big popular AAA game that doesn't seem like it would run well on a poor specced system.

I don't think that's particularly accurate tbh. But 3rd party support for the Switch would be a boost more than anything else. Letting me play games mobile-y would be nice but I'm fine with using my PC otherwise.

They gonna release Mass Effect 3 and Black Ops on it, too?

15 minutes ago, SuperBiasedMan said:

It runs on 11 year old harware, I'd be worried if the NX couldn't run it.

After digesting a few reports, the battery is my main concern, though this applies to pretty much every gadget from the past decade. 3 hours is pitiful. The battery life is my only criticism of the New 3DS - if they ever released the Super Famicom XL version in the EU, I'd consider upgrading for a fourth time. What a bloody idiot.

The joycons will surely have motionplus-plus miniaturised inside them because why cut off the Wii Sports crowd and the design potential when that tech must be cheap as chips after 10 years. Put a tiny little rumble motor in each one, 'positional' or 'localised' rumble feedback would be great when you're playing with both (for example, shots coming from the right side rumbling a little on the right one - do Microsoft already do this?). AGAIN, battery life's the issue. I assume the lights on the grip are battery indicators.

The more I read and think, I'm convinced they didn't show the touchscreen in an effort to distance themselves from the 'tablet', despite it being just that. It must be a touchscreen because they're not saving much at all by not having one. They're desperately avoiding the tablet description because there's zero wow factor. Essentially, it's a mid-level tablet with decent-quality peripherals and Nintendo games. I'm not disparaging that - I'm onboard just for the games - but you're never going to sell your product with that tagline.

19 minutes ago, Badfinger said:

They gonna release Mass Effect 3 and Black Ops on it, too?

B) Exactly. Now they've consolidated their dev teams onto one platform, the need for third parties diminishes. Indie devs should find more than enough power if the install base is sufficient enough to warrant the time investment.

Actually, after all this I'm starting to feel a little teary-eyed over my 3DS and WIi U. I've still got loads of stuff to play though on those. Speaking of which... *stops waffling*

Edit.

"The dock is not the main console unit of Nintendo Switch," a representative tells IGN. "The main unit of Nintendo Switch is the unit that has the LCD screen, which the two Joy-Con controllers can be attached to and detached from. The main function of the Nintendo Switch Dock is to provide an output to the TV, as well as charging and providing power to the system."

Marketing consultant - "WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT SAY THE WORD TABLET."

To be clear, I don't think it's a good reason to be optimistic about Skyrim's inclusion. I just think that's why people are responding in that way.

30 minutes ago, SuperBiasedMan said:

I also think the pretty standarized control layout (2 sticks and some buttons, and a kind of d-pad) probably helps, but it sounds like the architecture is not going to do any favors in porting anything over. 

8 minutes ago, SuperBiasedMan said:

To be clear, I don't think it's a good reason to be optimistic about Skyrim's inclusion. I just think that's why people are responding in that way.

SBM you didn't get the memo, we should be 100% pessimistic about everything all of the time. I thought it was interesting to even feature 3rd party games in their initial annoucnement video, I would assumed they would have just shown 1st party nintendo and a handful of indies and been done with it. 

7 minutes ago, YoThatLimp said:

SBM you didn't get the memo, we should be 100% pessimistic about everything all of the time. I thought it was interesting to even feature 3rd party games in their initial annoucnement video, I would assumed they would have just shown 1st party nintendo and a handful of indies and been done with it. 

I hope Nintendo is super successful with this new thing, and sounds like a lot of people want exactly what they're selling. I don't, and that's somewhat disappointing. Like I said though, it's not a shock or a surprise (although admittedly there's skepticism), it's more that it's confirmation.

Y'ALL TALKIN BOUT SOME REAL BORING ASS SHIT

THIRD PARTY?

BIRD FARTY!

AIN'T NOBODY HERE DONE PAID ATTENTION TO THAT PATENT FROM A WHILE BACK BUT IT GONNA LEAD TO SOME RAD ASS SHIT LEMME TELL YA

https://twitter.com/ryansalamanda/status/764947138325262337/photo/1

Cp2jJrXVYAAj6wN.jpg

(HERE THE PATENT)

(http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1261569)

(THAT'S SOME PRETTY CLEVER ASS TECH! POWERLESS CONTROLLER ATTACHMENTS?? WONDER IF SWITCH IS ACTUALLY USING IT)

(INTERESTINGLY, THE PATENT ALSO INCLUDES GESTURE READING, LIKE WITH YO FINGERS AND SHIT, BUT WE SAW NONE OF THAT IN THE REVEAL VIDEO, WONDER IF IT'S GONNA HAPPEN OR NOT, OBVS NO GUARANTEES)

18 minutes ago, Badfinger said:

I hope Nintendo is super successful with this new thing, and sounds like a lot of people want exactly what they're selling. I don't, and that's somewhat disappointing. Like I said though, it's not a shock or a surprise (although admittedly there's skepticism), it's more that it's confirmation.

Yeah, I mean I totally get the skepticism, their 3rd party track record has been hot garbage for years! I just want to throw it out there that I have literally 0 skin in the game outside of liking the premise of the console itself, I think the only Nintendo game I've ever actually finished was some of the SNES era Mario games and Duke Nukem for the n64. I bought a Wii that one time, and bought a 3DS at one point then sold it because I wasn't super interested in actually playing it. 

13 minutes ago, Twig said:

Y'ALL TALKIN BOUT SOME REAL BORING ASS SHIT

THIRD PARTY?

BIRD FARTY!

AIN'T NOBODY HERE DONE PAID ATTENTION TO THAT PATENT FROM A WHILE BACK BUT IT GONNA LEAD TO SOME RAD ASS SHIT LEMME TELL YA

https://twitter.com/ryansalamanda/status/764947138325262337/photo/1

Cp2jJrXVYAAj6wN.jpg

(HERE THE PATENT)

(http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1261569)

(THAT'S SOME PRETTY CLEVER ASS TECH! POWERLESS CONTROLLER ATTACHMENTS?? WONDER IF SWITCH IS ACTUALLY USING IT)

(INTERESTINGLY, THE PATENT ALSO INCLUDES GESTURE READING, LIKE WITH YO FINGERS AND SHIT, BUT WE SAW NONE OF THAT IN THE REVEAL VIDEO, WONDER IF IT'S GONNA HAPPEN OR NOT, OBVS NO GUARANTEES)

Oh god, I don't know if I like this or hate this. Think of how you are going to have to store like 10 disparate Switch controller halves hah.

50 minutes ago, dartmonkey said:

Now they've consolidated their dev teams onto one platform, the need for third parties diminishes. Indie devs should find more than enough power if the install base is sufficient enough to warrant the time investment.

I have 0 confidence that Nintendo will have a sufficient program for indies. That's certainly my hope. I think the occupy a power and form factor sweet spot (and will probably attract a video game centric audience) that is perfect for indie games. But Nintendo has never been the best with working with external developers. 

If it sells it'll have 3rd party support, the Wii showed that. The question is if it'll have 3rd parties taking their time to make good games, or just quick cash grabs. It's obviously not going to compete with the current gen(+) of consoles, so it'll have the same issue that their last two home consoles did of not getting new AAA releases also coming out on other platforms. Which doesn't have to be an issue, but to me it's not entirely clear what people mean or expect when they talk about good 3rd party support. Do they mean big, ambitious games developed specifically for this console? This thing would have to outsell the PS4 by a lot for that to be economical, and even then big 3rd party games have a history of not selling on Nintendo platforms. What is different this time?

Indies love Wii U so I don't see why they'd fuck it up with the Switch.

Indies have a nostalgic attraction to Nintendo, I guess. All Nintendo needs to do is not be a dick and indies will come, and I think they've learned the importance this cycle. I'm amazed at the indie love the Wii U continues to get. Whether it's the definitive version or not, I wonder how many copies Axiom Verge has sold on Wii U. The residual affection goes a long way - they just need to foster it a bit.

Okay, I've seen a lot of people say here and elsewhere that they would be shocked if this thing didn't have a touch screen. On the contrary, I don't see how the switch can have touch controls, given that it has to control the same when docked and undocked (since you obviously couldn't use touch controls while it's docked). Aside from that issue, a non-touch screen will obviously be cheaper than a touch screen, but by how much I'm not sure.

24 minutes ago, utilityfrog said:

Okay, I've seen a lot of people say here and elsewhere that they would be shocked if this thing didn't have a touch screen. On the contrary, I don't see how the switch can have touch controls, given that it has to control the same when docked and undocked (since you obviously couldn't use touch controls while it's docked). Aside from that issue, a non-touch screen will obviously be cheaper than a touch screen, but by how much I'm not sure.

Does it need to be docked to broadcast to the tv? I'm guessing yes but...

1 hour ago, Jake said:

Does it need to be docked to broadcast to the tv? I'm guessing yes but...

I'd guess yes as well, but if it doesn't and you can play undocked-to-tv, you'd have to either project the tablet quality image to the tv (around 720p going by the rumoured specs) or crank the processor (which it seems is part of what the dock does) to be able to do 1080p and kill battery life.

If it does have touchscreen (quite handy for menus and such when in tablet mode) it could just be a situation where some games have a different tablet-mode and TV-mode.

So, say Mario Maker (and Nintendo would be foolish not to have Mario Maker on this) would have level editing when in tablet mode and no level editing when in the dock.

The same rumours that predict there's a touchscreen suggest that Nintendo has a mandate that all games must work on both tablet and dock mode and with controllers and whatnot, but that doesn't necessarily mean they have to be identical in all modes.

If it did have a touchscreen, it'd be very similar to an Android tablet (like the Shield, which Switch is being compared to). Could Nintendo be creating an ecosystem for mobile games developers?

On 10/21/2016 at 1:20 PM, YoThatLimp said:

Yeah, I mean I totally get the skepticism, their 3rd party track record has been hot garbage for years! I just want to throw it out there that I have literally 0 skin in the game outside of liking the premise of the console itself, I think the only Nintendo game I've ever actually finished was some of the SNES era Mario games and Duke Nukem for the n64. I bought a Wii that one time, and bought a 3DS at one point then sold it because I wasn't super interested in actually playing it. 

Oh god, I don't know if I like this or hate this. Think of how you are going to have to store like 10 disparate Switch controller halves hah.

I both love this and hate this. Really cool idea to have designs for specific games. But I already have wayyyy too many Nintendo controllers. Wiimotes, nunchucks, GameCube, pro controllers galore...

Oh man the Switch is so cool that I can't wait to see it come out in five months from now.

My main concerns are that if it's region free, if it has a proper account system this time and what about the save space. I keep hearing stuff that dev kit has 32gb storage, that's way too little since the OS takes a big chunk of that space. I hope it has sdxc support since there are already 1tb sd cards and read speeds are really good these days.

Also I've heard that the battery is only 3 hours lasting which would be super weak, but a guy working for Atlus said the battery can last 10 hours and that it has 10 point multi touch screen and 4GB of memory. This guy wrote stuff in Miiverse of all places and Nintendo deleted his messages after he had written what he wrote.

I'm optimistic about the battery life since it looks pretty thick for a tablet. Probably to give a bigger surface for the controllers to attach, but it also gives them room to stick a big battery in there.