Sign in to follow this  
Fernus

Creativity

Here's something I made back in December as a way to test Arduino-related skills: 

http://41.media.tumblr.com/e5afdf354d45a1e1b686c523b54a97e7/tumblr_o1a3kt9aYW1tcmz52o2_1280.jpg

Here's the insides: 

http://41.media.tumblr.com/f57fdc698916a12b6877e335ecc14dd7/tumblr_o1a3kt9aYW1tcmz52o3_540.jpg

As you can see it's not actually Arduino but instead a Teensy 2.0, which, is close enough. It has an LED which doesn't work for some reason, I must have installed it wrong. There's a temporary switch and a magnetic hall effect sensor, as well as a USB cable. 

Pressing the switch without stimulating the sensor cycles through a string-array of various passwords, and pressing the switch while the sensor is in a magnetic field will then type that string to a computer and hit enter. I use it as a set of keys to my computer. I doubt it's actually 'secure' at all, since it's sending encrypted keystrokes to the computer and all but it's fun to use. 

I have the neodymium implants in my fingers and it's built so that the implanted fingers rest normally on the sensor. Originally the LED would illuminate when it was ready to xmit to string but that doesn't work (did I put it in backwards? I don't think I did) but luckily the sensor has a built in LED that I can see when it's stimulated, so same thing right?

Originally I wanted the USB-cable to be one of those retractable ones so I could clip this thing to my keyring itself, but since the case is already so big and I couldn't find one I figured it wasn't really worth it.

The case is a 10-yen coin holder I got for 100 yen at the market!:

http://41.media.tumblr.com/ef0e837990d65358290a5004a8ae118a/tumblr_o1a3kt9aYW1tcmz52o1_540.jpg

I'm using links to the images cause the images are really big and I don't want to bust the tables or anything on the forum. Is there a way to do thumbnail versions of the images w/ embiggening?

I've been trying to get back into art lately and decided to start with pixel art after getting annoyed with Manga Studio. Any ways I started with this from a few years ago (2014 I think?) as a base:

85b45SJ.png

And then used that as a base for these with some reference photos:

8idIGAB.png

WNziSgI.png

I need to break out of the mold a bit. And you know, maybe have the fox look in a different direction. But not bad for only being back at it for a few days.

Do need to work on sizing images though.

Well, I was just wondering if there was a thread to post art related stuff. Here is some thing I have been doing - it is most fan art, but have been helping me a lot to improve, I got to thank to a friend, she is a big fan of Idolmaster and recommended to me check it out, I did and enjoy it a lot and decided to try my hand drawing something and turn to be a great exercise.

There is more in my pixiv profile - http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?id=10736454

Anastasia | Avantharis [pixiv] http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=55230163

anastasia_by_avantharis-d9rpmjc.png

Minami Nitta | Avantharis [pixiv] http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=54011489

minami_nitta_by_avantharis-d9k3lb8.png

I've been doing more of that Draw Every day thing. I feel like I'm actually improving.

Decided to do a redraw of a shot from Agent Carter:

CcgQ-9UW8AIKWWn.jpg

First pass:

CcgRBL6XIAAx_7S.jpg

Final pass:

CcgRCD0XIAYo4mW.jpg

Really nice Applecider. The only thing I'd change is the outline of the guy, instead trying to separate him from the background more subtly.

I love the final pass, the texture and the line variation... this is definitely going somewhere.

In other news, I backed Mutant: Genlab Alpha. So obviously I am now drawing NPCs.

4023c4064596d2fbc09a9405865932d5_LadyOne

Really nice Applecider. The only thing I'd change is the outline of the guy, instead trying to separate him from the background more subtly.

it's not an outline, it's literally me redrawing that guy over and over and over and not erasing out more of the line. It happens when I get frustrated sometimes. But I will go erase it. :)

Dang you are all some pretty talented people.

I've just started learning to draw and I'm a couple of weeks in at this point. So far I've mostly been practicing by doing timed form drawings. Also nudity warning.

From a 5 minute form drawing:

b370f58a954c444b488b500e08f7a6d2.png

15 minutes

42aafee3b6e26b8a0f31a1c4c480203e.png

Any advice and/or resources people recommend are very welcome. I'm kind of not sure what to do other than keep on drawing things.

Practice is always the most important thing, so keep that up! In the beginning, don't get too hung up on how good your drawings are. Just keep making new ones. The skills will build eventually. There's a book called 'Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain' which is pretty good for beginners.

For figure drawing, learning anatomy is a huge boon. Learning how people hold their weight and tense their muscles makes a big difference. Once feel like you're starting to get a handle on things, I would recommend picking up a book or, if possible, taking class.

Here's a collage I made for the cover of an album my brother's putting out.

post-8469-0-99160800-1457632516_thumb.png

Practice is always the most important thing, so keep that up! In the beginning, don't get too hung up on how good your drawings are. Just keep making new ones. The skills will build eventually. There's a book called 'Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain' which is pretty good for beginners.

For figure drawing, learning anatomy is a huge boon. Learning how people hold their weight and tense their muscles makes a big difference. Once feel like you're starting to get a handle on things, I would recommend picking up a book or, if possible, taking class.

Here's a collage I made for the cover of an album my brother's putting out.

attachicon.gifthe good one edit 2 not as small.png

Figure drawing classes are preferable too because they generally teach you how to draw much quicker and intuitively.  You're limited by the amount of time the model can hold a pose, and often teachers even run exercises where they change poses quickly.  

That collage is like mirthful cubism, digging it.

Any advice and/or resources people recommend are very welcome. I'm kind of not sure what to do other than keep on drawing things.

I'll gladly echo the others: Don't stop drawing, front, middle, center. The great artists are those who refused to give up, there's ten thousand bad drawings in you that you just need to get out to be great, yadda yadda yadda. :P

There are so many tips, hints, resources and the like that I don't even know where to start, and much depends on what you actually want to do with your art: Where do you want to go, what do you want to create?

Judging from your drawings, you have a pretty good idea of proportion already. What I also see is what Mike Mattesi calls the "infamous hairy line". He preaches a "one line per idea" approach, i.e. longer, confidently flowing lines instead of minuscule insecure strokes. This has nothing to do with 'getting it right on the first stroke' – you can redo longer lines easily after all.

I'm working hard at the time to get anywhere with lost&found lines and line variation – being in command of line is a surprisingly powerful tool in the artist's toolbox. :)

Really wish I knew why the saturation keeps dropping the hell out when I upload!

Was it because you were working in a wide gamut like AdobeRGB? Converting to SRGB should presere colour better if you do, because if you send AdobeRGB to something that expects SRGB, the colours often get subdued

Yeah I agree a lot with Vainamoinen. The hairy lines are a problem I had and still do, though I've gotten better. I'll give you the contradictory advice to have more confidence in the drawing and not worry about making them too good. Try to do a lot of short quick pictures, where you're not redoing lines a bunch. Trust that the first line is good and move on, but then after the drawing accept that you might not have done a good one because you didn't get to redraw it more times. In the long run the pictures will be way better.

This site is great for switching poses and giving yourself just 30 or 60 seconds to draw each one:

http://artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/

You can do a lot in 30 seconds, but what you wont do is make hairy lines. :P

Was it because you were working in a wide gamut like AdobeRGB? Converting to SRGB should presere colour better if you do, because if you send AdobeRGB to something that expects SRGB, the colours often get subdued

Pretty sure they were already srgb, using the save for web option is what ended up fixing it, never an issue I had before.

Yeah I agree a lot with Vainamoinen. The hairy lines are a problem I had and still do, though I've gotten better. I'll give you the contradictory advice to have more confidence in the drawing and not worry about making them too good. Try to do a lot of short quick pictures, where you're not redoing lines a bunch. Trust that the first line is good and move on, but then after the drawing accept that you might not have done a good one because you didn't get to redraw it more times. In the long run the pictures will be way better.

This site is great for switching poses and giving yourself just 30 or 60 seconds to draw each one:

http://artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/

You can do a lot in 30 seconds, but what you wont do is make hairy lines. :P

That site isn't bad if a class isn't an option, but there is a drastic difference between drawing a person you see in 3 dimensions and drawing a person that is a 3 dimensional form reproduced in 2 dimensions.  When confronted with real form you get a better sense of how everything works in space, how the mass of the body sits.

Oh absolutely, if you can do a real class go for it. This is what I use for regular quick life drawing. If you want to life draw as a habit then it's handy but real life drawing trumps it every time.

Thanks for all of the helpful advice and resources everyone. I'm going to start focusing on tackling my hairy lines as it sounds like a bad habit to get into which is something I'm trying to avoid before I get too comfortable with how I'm practicing.

As for where I want to go with this I don't have an exact answer and I feel like I don't know enough to speak competently about it. What I do know is that I really enjoy stylized character design (a lot of Akihiko Yoshida's work for example) but I don't know if that's something that a person would focus on doing as opposed to other things. The one thing that seems to be consistent is that everyone recommends learning to draw from life/understanding how things are put together before working on stylizing.

Additionally I'm also a programmer learning game dev and I figure learning some art skills would help round out my skills.

Re: "hairy lines" - Well...those just depend on what your going for,  I honestly don't have much issue with them as long as it's nothing but that everywhere. If it's the aforementioned Mike Mattesi animation style you're going for, sure, avoid them.  Honestly the most important thing is to learn to see and how to translate that.  I should probably mention I come from a fine arts background,  I tend to prefer the artist to represent what's there and avoid forcing style upon the drawing, at least when it comes to learning the figure.

Aside from the things already said in the thread, one thing I did found out to be helpful to me was looking for tutorials or other materials that just cover points of doubt (like let´s say, leg or hand or kind of hair, ect... and just when you need to avoid the "tutorial hoarding"), they often where easier to follow up and feel less overwhelming that large materials that cover a lot of stuff where the amount of information you get maybe be too much, specially if the style in this materials where different from your own.

You can often find this kind of smaller tutorials in deviant art or pixiv.