Jake

Idle Thumbs 232: Happy #DishonoredHalloween

Idle Thumbs 232:

793__header.jpg

Happy #DishonoredHalloween

Not so long ago, on a night not unlike this very night, the people braved the sewers of rats, donned their nice masks, and celebrated the first Dishonored Halloween. You should have been there. Now, three years later, Dishonored Halloween's gone corporate—a sold-out shell of itself that's not even about the same things.

Games Discussed: Sublevel Zero, 80 Days, Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime, Daddy Long Legs

Holidays Discussed: Dishonored Halloween

The email about Jam Master Dad was my favorite. Dads & Moms playing f2p games are the best. (My parents have multiple duplicate facebook accounts to allow themselves to gift themselves more lives in Candy Crush.)

Wow, was not expecting to hear about both meat packing plants and a terrible quote from someone from my alma mater to close out the episode.

I grew up tangentially around that industry (knew people who worked there, we raised animals for awhile when I was really young, etc), it can be a weird world.  Besides often being cheap labor, immigrants/refugees are often also favored because they are much more comfortable with butchering animals, because of the massive disconnect between the American public and food production.  Spaff wondered about the chain mail.  It's how workers keep from slicing off bits of themselves on a regular basis.  The knives and tools they are working with are ridiculously sharp, sharp enough to slice through cow hide, meat and bone joints like butter.  Naturally they carve through human just as easily.  The only thing that can offer any real level of protection is metal, so chain mail it is.  Of course these plants want to maximize production, so workers are expected to butcher animals at a ridiculously fast pace.  I've heard of some truly horrific accidents involving those knives on the cutting floor though, even with protection. 

Enjoy that next burger you buy! 

People bitching about immigrants, particularly Mexicans, is something that can cause me to explode.  Our food supply literally wouldn't exist without them, and they're often paid and treated like shit for the incredibly necessary and dangerous job they do.  People complain when the price of bread or tomatoes goes up, but a big reason for the low prices we already pay is the grinding machine we put cheap labor through to produce that food.  If you like eating, then you can basically guarantee that a Mexican or Mexican-American helped produce, pack, slaughter or cut that food along the way (or all of that). 

When people think of Kansas farm towns, they tend to picture towns full of just boring white people, but the demographics have radically changed over the last few decades, particularly in towns with or near meat packing plants.  Garden City (near where I grew up) is now about 50 percent people of Latino/Hispanic heritage (both new immigrants and 2nd/3rd generation Americans).  Plus the Asian population is fairly significant now as well.  It's got a surprisingly large Vietnamese population last I knew. 

Sorry, kind of a subject that gets me ranty. 

In theatres this Dishonored Halloween:

W1V79mG.jpg?1

No joke I was staring at this across the subway platform during the entire flashback segment. Perfect alignment of the Dishonored Cosmos. 

My favorite 80 Days route so far, I think, is what happened when I decided that I would head due south from England no matter what happened. That one was pretty exciting. (And I like how choosing the dumb and obviously inefficient routes in that game will usually lead you to some kind of crazy shortcut).

I will probably need to try Sublevel Zero someday, but I think I will be pretty disappointed at how my 6-degree navigational skills have deteriorated since I was 12. =P Also, the discussion about Descent and then about scary games made me remember that maybe the scariest computer game thing is the cloaking boss on level 7 in Descent 1, at least until you've grown accustomed to it.

I saw the episode title and wondered if that meant Sean was on the podcast. Sean was on the podcast!

Episode 80 is one of my favorites ever. The Third Mario Brother Ludo, Airplane Bobby Kotick and Sean Dies, all the XCOM and when Sean was still in his DOTA infancy. The confirmation of LoMa as a genre. And THEN Dishonored Halloween. Classic.

Classic Ironman, I mean.

The Daddy Longlegs bit was phenomenal, he said, realizing the post was 80% about Episode 80 unintentionally.

Anyone have a link to this dog-unphased-by-bubble-popping gif? I need.

I had to reverse image search it from Sean's tweet since Twitter converts gifs to mp4s. But here it is!

MbbNlcX.gif

Liam Lynch has a pretty chill song called "Daddy Long Legs:"

Also, Daddy Long Legs was the stage name of an early member of the Bloodhound Gang.

Seriously folks, the industrial meat industry is horrible (somewhat better in some European countries, but still horrible even there), for many reasons beyond labor, so please try to stop supporting it.

I am currently playing 80 Days. My wife and I spent our honeymoon in Madagascar, so I went there just to check what's up. It didn't seem to make much sense from a race-around-the-world standpoint, but the game made sure that I had to opportunity to get to Burma fairly quickly. Which brings me to the question of whether it is possible to make serious mistkaes while planning your route. Is it that the game always offers you some decent connections even if the route you choose looks silly on paper (map/globe)? Is the only way you can screw up bad management of your funds, and the resulting waits for banks to open etc.?

What is the weird 90s music revival thingee that Chris refers to? I think I could half understand what was being talked about but wasn't 100% sure.

The plot you guys were describing about meat factory workers packaging themselves to be eaten in the emails section is basically the premise of Abe's Exodus.

Anybody have the Tarantino pic Chris referenced?

I couldn't find when I went searching for it right after listening.

Extremely surprised at the lack of XCOM 2 mention during the Dishonored Christmas segment!

It's kind of hilarious that Dishonored 2 and XCOM 2 are coming out so close to each other again. Feels like some kind of time loop.

Ever wish you could go back in time?