RubixsQube

Downwell! Gun Boots! Treasure Collecting! Falling!

I have no idea what a gem high does. Whenever I get it I end up having it until I die, so it's hard for me to see what's changed.

I have no idea what a gem high does. Whenever I get it I end up having it until I die, so it's hard for me to see what's changed.

It's a damage boost. If you don't pick up any gems for a long enough time, it goes away and you have to get 100 gems to make it come back.

Oh wow, I just hit 20000 lifetime gems and unlocked Levitate Style, it's like easy mode! Falling slower is so good, I can finally maintain a combo in World 2.

Are there rewards for combos > 25, or should I immediately cash in a 25-combo and start building the next one?

Also, this room:

downwell.png

So it's possible to walljump to the top, right? Has anyone done it? What's up there?

Bought this on iOS and Steam. Was relieved to see that its the same price for both. $3 a pop is pretty easy to not think twice about. This game is crazy good.

So I bought this today mostly on the strength of Chris Remo's experience. Which is weird since I'm not actually someone who ever played Spelunky after the tutorial (or even got far into the tutorial). 

Anyway I'm loving this game a lot right now. I jumped straight into using a controller on my PC and it's super satisfactory. Funnily enough aside from roguelike games and Nuclear Throne what this game reminds me of is another Vlambeer game called Ridiculous Fishing. Even though that game only found it's way to the phone the premise that you're supposed to go down as far as you can while dodging anything that can break your run is a fun similarity. 

I hope this game has a secret ending where your specific map is flipped and you have to jump back out of the well upside down.

This is the first time I can remember using the d-pad on the 360 controller. Would I suddenly become a Downwell god with a pad that wasn't complete dump?

Okay, I had a weird experience with this game. I picked it up on iOS and PC. Played it on iPhone and PC initially. The furthest I reached was 2-2 on both platforms. But then before going to bed I decided to install the game on my iPad there, and I got to the underwater section of the game. But I was able to do that because the game was running at like half the speed on the iPad. Has anyone else played this on iPad and something else?

It's not hard to set up a dualshock 3 or 4 for PC and both have a better D-pad then the 360 controller for sure. And given how fast this game moves I think it would help at least a little.

I need to check to confirm but I think the heart balloon gives you +1 HP if you take damage (though you still die if you only have 1HP).

The triple attack power-up is my least favorite so far. Feels really underwhelming compared to any of the others.

It used to be my favorite due to it's spread (#ContraMemories) but I think actually the starting gun or the nobby might actually be the best because they're the guns with which it's easiest to throttle your fall speed, which is what I actually use the gun for the most, since I can't not go for insane combos every time. 

If I'm playing with a controller, laser is up there for me. I like how exactly I can carve out blocks/enemies and still leave some for bouncing.

Still haven't beaten my 72 combo. Anyone else gotten up there? [/brag]

I got to 97 once. After that I started trying to end combos when I got them high enough to get more HP since there don't seem to be any bonuses for higher combos.

I picked up this game tonight.  Man is it fun.  The shotgun is probably my favorite weapon.  It forces me to be more selective about using my shots, but as a result I end up performing better.  The triple is probably my least favorite.  I can't remember what it's called, but the upgrade that creates a blast when you jump on enemies is my favorite.  It's really useful in limbo.  The least useful to me is the one that extends gem high.  I've never had a problem keeping that active.  My highest combo right now is 104, but I've only been playing for a few hours.  The steam controller is actually pretty good for this game.  The right pad can be used as a giant button which is perfect for a game of this nature.  It might be better with a proper d-pad but Spelunky got me used to using a stick for 2D movement.

Does anyone else find the 4th area kinda too easy? Maybe it's just the spelunky problem where the later parts of the game can seem easier because youre so decked out in loot by then, but it seems like the ability to shoot through the blocks makes it a real no brainer of just falling through, hitting each one, and shooting/dodging all the doods that get in your way. Racking up and holding a combo is easier than even the first area, and theres none of the turbo paced tense decision making of where to aim for and when to shoot that comes from the enemies/block layout in the earlier areas.

One of the things I like about this gravity-based scrolling shooter on mobile is that it can sometimes feel like a mechanical commentary on checking my Facebook, Twitter, and forum feeds.

I even start getting the Tetris-effect while scrolling on Twitter (I read my feed from the top and scroll down) after a longer play session.

This game is pretty swell! I got to world 3 just before and it took my eyes a good minute to register that they'd added another colour to the palette (I wasn't imagining that, right?). Then a thing ate me.

+1 for shotgun being the best.

Unlocked the hard mode. Was expecting something like smft mode in vlambeers games where you need to have become a master at the regular mode to even stand a chance, but its more like just a modest step up from the final bits of the normal difficulty, which was a pleasant surprise.

How the hell do you walljump consistently? I'm using the dpad on my 360 controller (it's a limited edition doohickey with an improved dpad, not the piece of shit the normal ones come with), is it easier on keyboard? The timing on switching directions against the wall and hitting jump seems really precise.

I've been able to do it pretty consistently on the iPhone. Just have to be spinning, so either just jumped or bounced off an enemy.

im using the 360 stick. the timing is more push away and then press jump after a split second (the animation of your guy will actually change), rather than hitting both at the same time.

also how the heck do the iphone controls work? is it all touch based? do you have to tilt it to move? seems real fiddly if its the latter, but real screen obscuring if the former...