Sign in to follow this  
Roderick

attention!

[...]Why not use some of your massive ammounts of disposable income to finance S&M2 instead of paying 15 bones a month to get called a cock fuckering shit cock with (gasp) 128 people? Now I get called a cock fuckering shit cock for a one time price and that suits me fine.

It's not that I'm really offended by this obscene use of language, but it troubles me nonetheless. I'm all for being able to say stuff like 'shit' if you really need to express something in a strong way. But with the invention of Cock Fuckering Shit Cock, we've reached a level that even Penny Arcade didn't dare ascend upon.

It seems that some people abuse the somewhat openmindedness of these forums to shower everything around them with agressive and provoking posts or extreme uses of foul language. And I for one, am not happy with this. For all the misplaced anger some here seem to have for the Adventuregamers forums, at least there you could have a civilised and serious conversation. This thing here is rapidly degrading into a preteen forum where angsty fourteen year olds seem to vent their attitudes.

That can hardly be the idea behind this place, could it?

[...]Why not use some of your massive ammounts of disposable income to finance S&M2 instead of paying 15 bones a month to get called a cock fuckering shit cock with (gasp) 128 people? Now I get called a cock fuckering shit cock for a one time price and that suits me fine.

Who said THAT?

I have this site bookmarked as Idle Cursing Thumbs.

I'm no fan of pointless swearing myself, but I find it is pointless to mention it.

It's not that I'm really offended by this obscene use of language, but it troubles me nonetheless. I'm all for being able to say stuff like 'shit' if you really need to express something in a strong way. But with the invention of Cock Fuckering Shit Cock, we've reached a level that even Penny Arcade didn't dare ascend upon.

It seems that some people abuse the somewhat openmindedness of these forums to shower everything around them with agressive and provoking posts or extreme uses of foul language. And I for one, am not happy with this. For all the misplaced anger some here seem to have for the Adventuregamers forums, at least there you could have a civilised and serious conversation. This thing here is rapidly degrading into a preteen forum where angsty fourteen year olds seem to vent their attitudes.

That can hardly be the idea behind this place, could it?

And the weirdest thing is, this post is not directed towards meeee! :innocent:

Yeah, Kingzelbub! Pipe it down, you shamelessly profane ruffian. You got them things called 'culture' and 'noggin', take advantage of 'em and find us some interesting ways to use them langwage!

On a[n even more] serious note, I've quite cut down my own profanity, here and at AG. It's not necessarily because I wanna win the stray soccer mom or 11-year-old bible thumping kid over, it's more that I find that swear words retain their provocative potency and that certain "I-don't-what-what" when used quite sparingly. Cursing can also be an artform, you know.

Oh, darn it, I need to get some more frigging coffee!! brb...

I'm in favor of tactically deployed profanity. However, spiraling flurries of fucks and cocks in every direction and being an angry bitch does not fall in that category. We must remember the thin line between unfiltered opinion and being retarded. That said, I don't think we should make too big a deal out of this, so let's go back to having fun on these forums.

On another note, why does anyone care Thumb uses the occasional profanity? It's not like anyone cares when any other site does it, so why do you guys think it's our most striking characteristic? We're not trying to be edgy, we're just writing things the way we'd say it to each other and I personally think it's weird this keeps coming up.

...spiraling flurries of fucks and cocks in every direction...

Please, Marek. You're giving me a hard-on.

We're not trying to be edgy, we're just writing things the way we'd say it to each other...

I rarely ever use profanity when I'm talking to someone.

I rarely ever use profanity when I'm talking to someone.
Ergo, you my dear sir are not human.

On another note, why does anyone care Thumb uses the occasional profanity? It's not like anyone cares when any other site does it, so why do you guys think it's our most striking characteristic? We're not trying to be edgy, we're just writing things the way we'd say it to each other and I personally think it's weird this keeps coming up.

*cough* duct tape...

Seriously though, there is more profanity on Thumbs than on comparable sites. Most gaming journalism sites don't really use "fuck" at all, and while we're clearly not attempting to be as sterile as GameSpot or something, I can see where people could (mis)read us as "That cRaZy gaming site who cusses all the time!"

Yes nobody here is afraid of the f-bomb, but that's not some sort of founding principle of the site. Hopefully we're not coming across as "the site who likes to cuss a lot," because that would be missing the mark by a fair bit.

Are we coming across simply as "the site who likes to cuss a lot?"

I can see where people could (mis)read us as "That cRaZy gaming site who cusses all the time!"
Maybe, but I was more comparing us against other smaller amateur / niche / hobby sites, not GameSpot or GameSpy, even though our ambitions may be slightly larger than just being some out of control group blog about games.

Are we coming across simply as "the site who likes to cuss a lot?"

For first impressions alone, I think you probably are.

Yeah, actually, Idle Thumbs uses far too much swearing and you all sound really crap when you swear, especially in articles. I remember reading one of the first articles here, about Another World, where there's what would be a funny caption if only it wasn't spoiled by the swearing, which just seemed immature. It was something like, "Maybe he's saying, "fuck you, world!", or maybe he's pretending to be an air'plane" or something like that. It ruined it.

You guys are fucking bastards. You do shit like this the whole time. Screw you assholes.

Swearing does not make things seem funnier.

Maybe, but I was more comparing us against other smaller amateur / niche / hobby sites, not GameSpot or GameSpy, even though our ambitions may be slightly larger than just being some out of control group blog about games.

I know, like I said we're clearly not trying to be GameSpot, but on the other hand I'm not sure I'm thrilled about the idea of us being equivalent to a lot of other "edgy" amateur sites. :shifty:

Just to get it straight: my initial post was not about the image of the site. In my opinion it's balanced and doesn't use too much foul language at all. My discussion was targeted against the people who did seem to think Idle Thumbs is all about swearing and saw it as a motivation to do the same on the forums. But then all wrong and without it being sparingly used as a form of sarcasm.