Sign in to follow this  
Rob Zacny

Esports Today 10/13/2015: Reality Bites

Esports Today October 14, 2015:

792__header.jpg

Reality Bites
Harsh truths are learned, bitter pills are swallowed as Rob and Andrew contemplate the aftermath of the StarCraft 2 Proleague season, and Taylor Cocke joins them to discuss the end of the dramatic League of Legends group stage. Finally, Andrew relishes in the oddities of SoCal Regionals and the beautiful balance of Street Fighter 4.

League of Legends, StarCraft, Street Fighte

Opening Segment: StarCraft 2 Proleague

11:00 - League of Legends

32:00 - SoCal Regionals

37:50 - Esports Tomorrow

I was sad to see SKT's Terran Sorry perform so badly with such a interesting build(proxy tanks) in the Proleague Finals. Starts @ around 27 minutes.

Especially when he is one of the best at MarineTank style TvT before the Mech Meta, having knocked Taeja from Code A in a B05 earlier this year. 

I wanted to post a link to what I think is justifiably called one of the most exciting DOTA 2 matches of the year. I mentioned it in the other DOTA 2 thread, but it got swamped by Aui and EG shit talk.

This match really had everything going for it, and it was for the EU qualifiers finals for the Frankfurt Majors so the teams were competing for a slot for a major tournament, so the stakes were definitely high.

Thanks for the links Jolly0451!

I wanted to post a link to what I think is justifiably called one of the most exciting DOTA 2 matches of the year. I mentioned it in the other DOTA 2 thread, but it got swamped by Aui and EG shit talk.

This match really had everything going for it, and it was for the EU qualifiers finals for the Frankfurt Majors so the teams were competing for a slot for a major tournament, so the stakes were definitely high.

Thanks for the rec. Always keen to watch some good Dota, but can never be bothered to pay attention to which games people are talking about.

EDIT: Mother of God. My brain can't comprehend defensive play of that magnitude. I can hardly believe it.

That was the game of the qualifiers.  To be honest, NiP basically threw it though.

Edit: Also,  Pig Baby is honestly the best name in e-sports beating out Pizzadad.

Good news, sclpls - I was so excited by that game that I already called Rob's attention to it and bugged him to bring it up in next week's show. The Frankfurt talk should start in earnest then.

I don't know if he's still playing StarCraft, but "noobeater" is still my pick for best esports name.

And yeah, we recorded this before the crazy NiP/Alliance game so it wasn't on our radar. We generally have enough to watch that the qualifiers for an event tend to slip by.

I don't know if he's still playing StarCraft, but "noobeater" is still my pick for best esports name.

And yeah, we recorded this before the crazy NiP/Alliance game so it wasn't on our radar. We generally have enough to watch that the qualifiers for an event tend to slip by.

Yeah I mean fair enough, I wouldn't have even brought it up except that particular game had so many things going for it that made it worth watching.

I've enjoyed listening to the casts to absorb some information on the various Lords Management scenes I'm not familiar with, but as a primarily fighting game guy, there were a lot of glaring inaccuracies in during the cast that were kind of hair pulling for me.

• You mentioned SCR as being the last stop on the road to Capcom Cup but there were actually 10 more CPT tournaments scheduled after SCR, including 4 ranking events (for points) and 4 premier events (to autoqualify) yet to come.
  • A few episodes ago you mentioned Snake Eyez as a more obscure player flourishing in a tournament without international players, but Snake Eyez has been arguable the strongest and certainly the most consistent American player since Evo 2014 and is considered by most to be the best Zangief in the world.
  • Bonchan has been known for his incredibly mobile Sagat play for years now and has been considered one of the top Japanese players and (the top Sagat) for quite a while as well, particularly after his 2nd place finish at Evo 2014
  • Evo is the biggest fighting game tournament for the scene as a whole, but the Capcom Cup is without a doubt the most prestigious event for SFIV. Winning CPT 2014 made Momochi the player to watch/beat in a way that far surpassed Luffy winning Evo 2014 or even Momochi winning Evo 2015.

Anyways keep up the good work and I hope to hear you guys talk about the FGC more in the future (but maybe a little more fact checked?) :D:D:D

Sign in to follow this