Spenny

Winter Wizard Jolly Jam interest thread

Looking at it right now, I would probably take the option of splitting the difference in the leading votes and going with the November 28th to December 13th option. If so, that would probably mean this will get officially announced in a weeks time.

I'll try to participate a little bit whenever it happens, but since I'm also going to try and work on some unfinished Twine stuff under the auspices of NaNoWriMo I might need a bit of time to recharge depending on how early you go with it.

I didn't know there was another jam planned until I heard it on the podcast today. I was in the middle of my dissertation for the last one and I was really gutted that I couldn't take part. I'm definitely in for it this time around!

I'm Super new to the forums here, so hello. In fact, the only reason I signed up was because a new game jam was mentioned on the podcast. I've been an avid listener, but I missed the last game jam. I'm all in. I don't have any preference for a timeline, but I want to participate. You

Glad to see people coming out of the woodwork after hearing about it on the cast. Expect some sort of official announcement soon.

Really wanted to participate in the last one but I was in the midst of some time-sensitive work. Would love to make some tunes for ya'll this time around though. I voted for the last week, but I guess people want to "spend time with their family" instead of game jamming during the holidays  :P

In any case, let's go!

I was so mad that I missed the last one, so I'm excited for this if it happens.  I don't know anyone here, but I write music and I just finished a master's degree in video game sound and music and I'm looking for some experience, so if anyone wants some tunes for this I will compose the absolute shit out of them.  I can do it like asset-cannon style where I just launch audio files at you, or if you're working with something which can do Wwise integration, I can build a decent Wwise system.  I do some orchestral stuff and mess around with synth sounds and do folk music and rock and stuff like that.  I've got a couple of Soundcloud profiles, one of which has a song with lyrics made entirely of Dr. Ian Malcolm quotes.

https://soundcloud.com/j-desmond-hartley

https://soundcloud.com/jordandh

What would be an example of a scenario that would benefit from using Wwise? Also does Wwise require some sort of framework? Or is it just a style of audio integration that can be done with various amounts of follow-through?

I don't know anything about it.

Basically any audio middleware (fmod, wwise, fabric, ect.) is going to save you time and require less programing and scripting to implement. They're especially nice for setting up things like dynamic audio and music systems.

Sweet, I've been waiting for another Wizard Jam! Having spent the past 6 months doing actual full-time game-dev, I feel like I'm in a much better position to make something a bit more competent. Depending on what I want to make, I may end up teaming up with someone this time, too.

Toblix has created this jam's logo:

(I added "inter"! so genius)

plrQgMq.png

tbh i think this is the best thing that will come out of the jam

O;

What would be an example of a scenario that would benefit from using Wwise? Also does Wwise require some sort of framework? Or is it just a style of audio integration that can be done with various amounts of follow-through?

I don't know anything about it.

Basically any audio middleware (fmod, wwise, fabric, ect.) is going to save you time and require less programing and scripting to implement. They're especially nice for setting up things like dynamic audio and music systems.

Sorry for the delay, I was away from the computer for a few days.  TheLastBaron is correct, Wwise is especially good at music because you can use musical timings a lot more easily and it has a nice post loop thing which catches the reverb tails, so you can loop really seamlessly.  It also has systems for vertical remixing (so adding, subtracting, or otherwise affecting layers within a composition) and horizontal resequencing (moving onto new loops either randomly, once a certain criterion/criteria has/have been met, or some combination of the two).  Basically, it's a quick and relatively painless way of making music more dynamic and reactive.  For example, you could have a layer of music get louder as you get closer to an object, which you could use for navigation (like in Twilight Princess) or for indicating the tension of being proximal to an enemy (like in one or more of the Splinter Cell games).

Yeah, and the same things apply to the other stems as well as music too, so you could say run your sound through some sort of processing based on game states (like running everything through a low pass filter when the player's health is low or something). A lot of games will dynamically duck certain sounds depending on how important they are at any given time so that even if there are a bunch of sounds going on at the same time you can hear what you need to, and middleware makes setting that up a lot easier.

Toblix has created this jam's logo:

(I added "inter"! so genius)

plrQgMq.png

tbh i think this is the best thing that will come out of the jam

O;

hi was away from the forums, but heard about new jam on the cast. I approve of the logo.

I would totally be down to cooperate in art department. like Illustrating a twine thing, also learning some 3d modelling in blender but I'm pretty amateurish still.

Last jam I did the "But I'm still working game with clyde and Cpt. Hastings.