Sign in to follow this  
YoThatLimp

Star Wars Battlefront 3

Is anyone hoping into this beta today on Origin? Anyone else a little excited?

My origin ID is YoThatLimp

I haven't really kept up with the news about this game but I watched the stream Giant Bomb did and I really love that they nailed a lot of the Star Wars sounds/visual effects. There are some oddities like the floating upgrade "coins" to get into vehicles and pickup special weapons, that feels like very archaic at this point. 

I downloaded the pre-load last night, but I have doubts that my GTX460 will run it. I decided to try anyway.

I'm downloading it at the moment, my Origin ID is Gwardinen.

I never played the Battlefront games before, but I've usually become tired of the Battlefield games fairly quickly so there will need to be some significant differences or the setting will have to really carry it for me to stick around.

I was really excited to try this and then I played about an hour and a half of it. It sounds great, it looks great, it plays really well and I had no fun playing it at all. The smaller rock planet map is a frustrating mess of grenade spam, CoD style spawns and being able to get shot from everywhere. Hoth is even worse in that regard with it's wide open planes. I think half the fun in these games is good map design and both these maps seem pretty terrible?

The beta seems to work fine on a GTX460 even though I think I read that it's below the minimum specs.

I think the game does a few interesting things like single sniper-shots as a cool-down ability. I've mostly played the drop-pod game and I enjoy it most when there is enough volley that another drop-pod comes down while we are still fighting over the old one. I don't have a good idea of what direction the enemy will be coming from though (which can be frustrating); that's something I like about Battlefield games and was hoping for here (Walker Assault may be better about this). I might just need to spend more time learning the map.

It's alright. I find myself playing it because the beta has a limited time rather than because it compels me to play more. Something about the shooting makes me have a much harder time than usual and since I don't know the maps well, tactical positions and patience isn't much of an option for me.

@Mington: I imagine James Earl Jones saying "That is my son." in the final moments of your gif.

Once I understood a few things and start using the DLT-19 (or whatever the gun is in the bottom right is) and unlocked the jet-pack, I've been enjoying the game a lot more.

Unless I'm using my cycle rifle, I don't aim down the sights anymore. This game is all about the hip-firing. The DLT-19 is kinda like a sub-machine gun with pretty good range, so I scope out the situation, jetpack, yell "SURPRISE!" and unload my sub-machine gun into them at close-to-medium range (without aiming down the sights).

I was really confused by the maps before I got a jet-pack because I would see someone on a ledge and assume I could find a path up; now that I have the jet-pack, I see how they were getting up there and I have a better sense of where the fire can come from.

The Walker-Assault mode is much more fun now that I understand that the stations you want activated or deactivated are not one-offs; the idea is to rack up as many Y-wing icons as possible by keeping those suckers activated. Camping them at a distance is pretty fun because it feels like there are typically 10 or so of us dug in to defend and I like those moments of solid front-lines.

@Mington: I imagine James Earl Jones saying "That is my son." in the final moments of your gif.

Once I understood a few things and start using the DLT-19 (or whatever the gun is in the bottom right is) and unlocked the jet-pack, I've been enjoying the game a lot more.

Unless I'm using my cycle rifle, I don't aim down the sights anymore. This game is all about the hip-firing. The DLT-19 is kinda like a sub-machine gun with pretty good range, so I scope out the situation, jetpack, yell "SURPRISE!" and unload my sub-machine gun into them at close-to-medium range (without aiming down the sights).

I was really confused by the maps before I got a jet-pack because I would see someone on a ledge and assume I could find a path up; now that I have the jet-pack, I see how they were getting up there and I have a better sense of where the fire can come from.

The Walker-Assault mode is much more fun now that I understand that the stations you want activated or deactivated are not one-offs; the idea is to rack up as many Y-wing icons as possible by keeping those suckers activated. Camping them at a distance is pretty fun because it feels like there are typically 10 or so of us dug in to defend and I like those moments of solid front-lines.

Yeah the game definitely got better the more I understood it's systems (weird right?).

I've been playing on the ps4 and its pretty fun. I am predictably kinda terrible at it as I am with most multiplayer stuff, but definitely having some abilities unlocked and knowing the maps better helps.

So I am still having issues with he power-up system, especially on Hoth. I understand the basic principal but the color of the icon, when the power-up spawns and where the power-up spawns is throwing me off.

I find myself scrambling to find a single one one game then having way too many the next game, it's very odd.