singlespace

ASTRONEER - A game about aerospace and interplanetary exploration

This looks like The Martian simulator at first and then you see two Astroneers!

Yeah I want this game. And I want to play it with a cool friend person.

I looked on the website and couldnt figure it out. Do you think couch co op is an option or possibility? Looks like a whimsical fun time to play with the wife, but then you couldn't split up without awkward lego-style split screen.

I have so many good things to say about ASTRONEER! Here is an bullet point list: 

• Everything has a wonderful physicality too it. Every bit of resources and equipment is modeled in the world. Even better, your "inventory" is also fully modeled in the world, which means the things you mine and craft don't just vanish into inventory screens. Even the power resource maintains an in world consistency as your suit has a battery same as all the modules on your base. The same methods you can use to generate power on your suit work on your base. Furthermore, you rarely have the luxury of ignoring power, even when you've got various generators setup. All these things can create a little bit of friction but it makes things feel so consistent.
  • The gachapon research system is so much fun. All new technology, as well as some rare resources, come out of these big pods that you pull out of trees, dig out from under blobby space trees or pull off of wrecked space ships. These things are large and require you to physically drag them back to your base, which creates a tasty bit of anticipation whenever you get one open. 
  • The harshness of the Oxygen drain is really cool. If you're not linked to your base, your oxygen drains and you start suffocating, which only takes about 30 seconds. To combat this, you can create a network of "tethers" that let you go further a field without losing O2. It also allows you to make use of the power you're generating and storing at your base. This creates a very real feeling of pushing into a harsh and unknown horizon and a very real link to your base as well as a very visible record of your explorations on your little planet, two things I often feel are lacking in a lot of survival and exploration games. 
  • I'm not sure if this is actually a feature, but it seems like every time I start a new seed I end up with an abundance of a few things and a noticeable lack of other things. The three things you need a lot of in the early game are Resin, Compound and Research, and it always seems like I have to look harder for one of those three things. Not so much that it makes it impossible to play but just enough that you have to make a deliberate effort to overcome that setback. 

There's a great push and pull between tension and curiosity. You always have lots of little things to keep an eye on but you also always have something enticing just beyond your reach that makes you want to strike out further. 

All and all, this game has me hooked. i say give it a try, even in its Early Access state. 

I would love to do some coop today or tomorrow. Add me on steam if you're interested, my account there is also Cordeos.

So far I am really liking Astroneer, the basic gameplay of gathering, exploring etc are really well done. Excited for more content to be added.

I think I'm going to buy copies of this for a few friends for Christmas. I've been waiting for it for a while.

Have not gotten the fuel condenser bakelite?

Actually, how high up can you build...?

8 hours ago, Reyturner said:

You can build up pretty high, found this on reddit earlier: https://imgur.com/a/13tup

Started a new game and I had my first little adventure. Took a truck out to collect some researchable items, got lost, ended up killing myself to teleport home. Then drove around in another truck dropping beacons in an attempt to leave bread crumbs for my first truck. I ended up finding my own beacons and going in circles, got annoyed and killed myself again. I might use a space ship to get over to my first truck and try to find the beacons, hopefully I will be able to figure this out :)  Even though I spent two hours driving around doing nothing in particular I still enjoyed seeing all the weird landscapes and navigating the occasionally difficult terrain. If my next attempt to get my truck home fails I think I will set out for the moon.

https://imgur.com/a/Ory3L

13 hours ago, Reyturner said:

That's how I eventually got out of my predicament, found some resin and happened to be carrying a bit of copper. I really like that resource distribution varies wildly between planets, the one I got stuck on was lousy with rarities like lithium and titanium but almost completely devoid of the basics.

20 hours ago, Dewar said:

I've been waiting for it for a while.

Me too... but I also think I still am. I've become utterly suspicious of Early Access over the past few years, and since this game is expected to remain in Early Access for at least 1-2 years... I'm very hesitant to jump in at this point.

3 hours ago, Gwardinen said:

Me too... but I also think I still am. I've become utterly suspicious of Early Access over the past few years, and since this game is expected to remain in Early Access for at least 1-2 years... I'm very hesitant to jump in at this point.

Yeah, I saw that. Makes me a bit nervous, but then a ton of games that were supposed to be in early access for 6 months ended up being there for 2 years anyway. At least they're being honest.

Ended up buying this for a few friends last night and getting my fill after about three hours. I really like it and am happy that I bought a few copies. I think I'll wait about 6 months before firing it up again though, what's here is fairly well polished, but there isn't much.

1.0 came out and after really liking the game at launch I am pretty disappointing so far.

Building too big of a tether system causes massive lag every time to place a tether, which is a huge problem in the early game.

There is no real tutorial and the research screen is a mess, i cant figure out what items do until after i research them and often end up researching things I cant build because the starting planet doesn't have certain resources.

Research is also quite slow now which would be more ok if I knew what I should try and get.

Driving is still quite bad, the early vehicles can't really handle any kind of obstacle, my first one fell down a tiny fissure into a cave where it will remain because stalagmites are too abundant to make driving underground reasonable.

The terrain tool still doesn't seem to work properly.

The game showed promise but i think they went for complexity over play ability here