Sign in to follow this  
namman siggins

Far Cry PRIMAL

BadHat: you have to climb towers to reveal the map but they're all 2001 space monoliths

BadHat: as whitey mccavebro, you must fight for the affection of exotica blacklady, the tribe elder's daughter. she's topless all the time but she has paint on her nips so it's kinda ok

BadHat: tap F rapidly to think about baseball in her presence

I could do this all day.

Wish this was being announced a year from now so it could have been a glorious Hocking return-to-form. Can't imagine he's had much of a hand in it.

That might be a decent point if it weren't for the fact that almost everything Ubisoft has done in the past few years has more than earned them constant cynical scrutiny.

Personally, I think the towers will be giant redwood trees.

Aw.  I loved Splinter Cell: Blacklist!

Not having watched the video in question, I was pretty stoked for this, and then listening to the latest 'cast episode, I was "surprised" to hear about the masked-person and now I'm pretty much bleh.

Maybe it'll still be fun, but I was hoping for a Far Cry game without any guns or explosives, personally, and that sort of implies to me that eventually that stuff will be unlocked? Maybe I'm weird for not wanting those things.

Yeah, this could be pretty good! A lot of my FC experience has boiled down to arrows and knives and stuff, so why not?

Just don't make me hunt a bunch of dumb animals. Or make the animal hunting funner. plz

Like maybe there are a bunch of tigers in a hideout and some are smoking and some are talking to each other, shooting the shit (using crude language), some are watching tv, and then maybe i sneak in one by one and capture their hideout

I'm in the process of watching the video, but a few things so far:

-the way the game starts is really cool.  I love how the outline around the years degrades subtly as time goes on from the generic minimalist modern border to a rough chalk scrawl.

-I love the fact that they don't speak english.

-the player character is unmistakably voiced by the voice actor for Adam Jensen, which is extremely appropriate in a way I didn't expect

-this feels like a really good setting for what Far Cry 3 started making Far Cry about.  Melee stealth takedowns and crafting and hunting make so much more sense in this context

-everyone is being way too paranoid/cynical about there being aliens or time travel or something in this game.  Assassin's Creed being historical sci fi does not indicate that Ubisoft is afraid to make anything purely historical.  The creator of AC is still very candid about the fact that he literally just wanted to make a game about that, and wasn't 'forced' to add sci fi aspects.  The most I expect to be in here is some dumb easter egg that vaguely hints at a UFO, since pretty much every video game has one of those.  And maybe a 'last dinosaur' DLC or whatever

-last point aside, the way the game started on [2016] made me instantly think "animus" but that's probably because being an assassin's creed apologist means that thought doesn't immediately fill me with dread.

EDIT: lol, 'hunter's vision'

EDIT2: ok so it gets slightly mystical but i think it's just an excuse for the player to be able to tame animals and not a deep plot thing

EDIT3: "Your owl can tag enemies from the sky"

final thoughts: it seems like a cool more honest version of the kind of game far cry 3 wanted to be.  i like that the violence against other tribes of cavemen and taking over their territory is a perfect systemic thing to do in this setting.  i'll probably not get it but i like its style.

So when I saw the trailer (with the witch doctor and the blood-skull soup) the other day I was thinking wow this is so dumb. But after reading an RPS preview I'm actually kinda excited. Especially if they're ditching towers and introducing beastmaster style gameplay. Being a prehistoric druid sounds really fun.

I was just scrolling through the topics and read this as "Farcry Pinball" for a moment. The super skillshot could be no-scoping an eagle.

I was just scrolling through the topics and read this as "Farcry Pinball" for a moment. The super skillshot could be no-scoping an eagle.

an american pinball player goes to a ficitonal foreign country and defeats every pinball organization and takes over their territory 

Well, it's out now.  Any first impressions?

I'm hoping Ubi is moving past the dudebro versus comic book evil character plots in 3 & 4.  Am I in luck?