Jake

Idle Thumbs 230: A Farewell to Junior Mints

Danielle was a great Thumb, but I also can't wait to hear her again in the new broadcast. It's fantastic that she is joining up with Rob Zacny. I love listening to him (though not enough to download the e-sports cast - just not interested in e-sports).

Yeah I love hearing them do weird/wacky voice stuff because I think of them as Nathan Drake/Booker DeWitt (aka "90s Disney Animated Feature Male Lead" performances but in a thing ostensibly for adults).*

* that isn't to say what they do is easy or anything. I hope That was apparent on the podcast. Casting those roles in a way that sits well in the exaggerated and total-cartoon-like world those games create, but delivered in a way that helps mean you don't really notice the wackiness of it, is a specific and weird skill.

Yeah, voice acting has a kind of weird problem in that being good at it usually means being unnoticed or unrecognizable.

Yeah, voice acting has a kind of weird problem in that being good at it usually means being unnoticed or unrecognizable.

Nolan North caused me to buy Destiny.

It wasn't all him, but because he's your little robot buddy who's whimsical and lilting and occasionally funny or specifically not funny, all the feeling of Destiny having something interesting about it and depth beyond literally just the shooting mechanics is sort of channeled into his voice in the same way that the Peter Dinklage voice propelled me away from being interested in Destiny.

"Does the couch miss my butt?" made me smile, and also made me suddenly wistful.

"Does the couch miss my butt?" made me smile, and also made me suddenly wistful.

The podcast probably should've cut off directly after this line.

Danieelllleeeee 

I'm definitely going to miss her on IT, but it'll be great to get a new podcast! I'm also secretly happy she's moving to NY because it means I don't have to stay up so late to watch her stream games.

I'm also secretly happy she's moving to NY because it means I don't have to stay up so late to watch her stream games.

Wow, you just made me feel a lot better about this whole situation.

Um, not that I think about other people's life choices purely in terms of what it means to my personal convenience or anything.

I'm really behind on episodes so won't be hearing this for a while, but as a big fan of Danielle since the old GameShark podcast days I'm going to miss her.

Fare thee well Danielle, I hope the move goes well!  And also bummed about losing you on the main cast, but excited for your and Rob's new cast. 

Well, still sad that Danielle's leaving, but I have high hopes for new pod. Two hosts sounds a bit sparse though, so here's hoping for either plenty of guests or a third to round out the team at some point.

I'm really hoping for an epic Idle Weekend/Beastcast crossover.

Man, that email about the toilet water behind the mask has me imagining a Mario level where there's a Phanto on the wall, and when you pick up the key and he starts to chase you, water comes pouring into the room from behind where he was, and in order to escape the room, you have to swim around holding the key avoiding the Phanto until the room fills up with water enough for you to escape through the roof.

Too bad a bunch of those things aren't in Mario Maker.

Just popping in to say thank you all for the well wishes and kind words. This has been a really tough move, so it means the world to me.  And I'm overjoyed that people are excited about the new cast!

I'm not leaving, not when a community is *this* fantastic, warm and positive :D

Shame to hear you leave Danielle. I'm really excited about the new podcast, though.

So, goodbye Danielle! Welcome Danielle!

Man, listening to this today was sort of wild, as I was on a plane relocating from NY to TX. You brought an awesome, hilarious energy to the show! Hope things are fantastic in NY. Having briefly lived in SF, and most of life in NY I feel like NY is a few points easier. It can still be a grind, and the D-bags are richer, but the margins never seemed as tight. Looking forward to the new podz. 

I'm gonna miss you on the podcast Danielle. I guess your videos will still be on Polygon though. Hope for more guest appearances!

(Also I haven't listened to the podcast yet, will listen in class tomorrow/this morning)

I bet it's also weird for Nolan North and Troy Baker when people only ever remember them for their generic "regular guy" performances despite doing things like the Arkham series' Penguin or giving Destiny's Ghost an actual personality.

Nolan North played a very unlikeable Prince of Persia! I remember that.

Troy Baker did Joel though, so I can't hate him.

I'm a little in awe that Rob has managed to find the time to do another podcast while also somehow covering the world of e-sports. That puts him at like 3.25 a week by my reckoning.

Best of luck with the move Danielle. I think New York isn't that cool of a place these days, but at least it is an upgrade from what San Francisco has turned into! I'm looking forward to the new pod!

Sad that Danielle won't be on the regular Thumbs cast, but super excited to have even MORE pods to cast into my ears each week! 

I'm also selfishly happy that I can live vicariously through someone else discovering the great things about living in NYC. I love sharing what makes NYC special to me with other people, and to see them enjoy it.

Best of luck!

Looking forward to the weekender cast!

So this Enhanced Edition of System Shock 1 is also my first time playing it and I have mixed feelings about it. I don't think it measures up to the praise I've heard about it, though I'll point out I don't have a great grasp of the game's context to see how it stood out against other games of the time. The dialogue often feels utilitarian without any color (though the writing for Diego does a good job of sketching out his character) and the voice acting sounds like it was half-assed by staff members (with the exception of Shodan). Something I think the game does really well is creating a neat place to run around in. All the levels I've gone to feel distinct and memorable; they are what kept me going through the game.

After 9hrs or so, I've also hit a brick wall in progression where I think I know what the next step is, but I can't seem to find the tool I think I need to do it. I'm thinking I might just move on to System Shock 2, which I've also never played but have heard great things about.

Gonna miss Danielle's voice and insights into interesting and wacky games, but excited that there's gonna be a new podcast! Right now my weekends are mostly podcast-free, but oh boy, I'm looking forward to podcasts round the clock. 

I'll also miss Danielle's thoughts, stories, and affecting enthusiasm (ntm outbursts of that wondrous accent) on Idle Thumbs, but I'm glad I'll hear them on a new show with Rob (random aside: weird that "shows" applies to audio productions in my mind).

I virtually never post, so let me say that you're all interesting people. Apart from being personally germane to me, the podcasts on this network are just damned good aural company; well-produced, earnest, and stimulating. Thanks, y'all.

"The Idle Weekender" sounds like the most laid back name for a cast ever, so I find myself weirdly looking forward to seeing what is done with the cover art.

I too gone miss Danielle on the podcast, but I also too look foward to this new podcast.

On the subject of System Shock 2, I have to say that while I really see all the merit the game had, I didn´t like it very much - Mostly because of the respawn of enemies which often happen right in front of your face (which ruins the mood, once I was running in a corridor and enemy spawn right in front of me as I run) and how you can ruin yourself by not choosing the right skills (I did manage to get to a part where I need to pick up a object which triggered a enemy to chase me, but maybe I did something wrong along the way and can´t simple kill him no matter what).

Cities Skyline is great, maybe a bit flawed in parts of simulation (and maybe the lack of disasters), but it is so good to build a city on it and if already did look very pretty to see it grow, with the day night cicle looks even better.