Jake

Idle Thumbs 230: A Farewell to Junior Mints

Idle Thumbs 230:

785__header.jpg

A Farewell to Junior Mints

An era ends as we say goodbye to Danielle "Junior Mints" Riendeau, who is off to New York for love and (somehow) lower rent. We are saying goodbye to Danielle in three ways: by talking about the new Cities Skylines expansion and its improved offerings in poop flow management, by playing hours of else Heart.Break() as a symbolic gesture based on the name alone, and by starting a new podcast you'll hear more about in the coming months.

Games Discussed: Cities Skylines: After Dark, The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes, else Heart.Break(); Super Mario Maker, Undertale

I have reservations about this episode title, because it retroactively encourages confusion over episode 50, "Farewell, Video Games"... which was a sendoff for Nick Breckon and not Jake Rodkin.

Still, farewell, Danielle!

I have reservations about this episode title, because it retroactively encourages confusion over episode 50, "Farewell, Video Games"... which was a sendoff for Nick Breckon and not Jake Rodkin.

Still, farewell, Danielle!

Wow, so listeners who confuse me and NIck might have always thought that I left and Nick stayed.

Wow, so listeners who confuse me and NIck might have always thought that I left and Nick stayed.

Wherein I awake from my three-year dream to find that I am Jake Rodkin. "I've got to warn Nick Breckon not to move to Maryland!"

Then I awake again, to find that I am Dishonored Jake Rodkin, and it is August.

I really hate the circumstances that Danielle is having to leave under. Cost of living is a facet of the thing I get the most worked up about in politics (economics, specifically when it comes to the non-wealthy), so from where I sit I just see Danielle as a victim of stupid shit that the country is dragging its ass on fixing.

But I'm glad she's gonna be working on another podcast on the network. It was great being on the ground floor of her increasing frequency of being on Idle Thumbs and just pointing out she's more or less a Thumb and things were great! Though when she says stuff like this:

Yes, friends, it's true. An Idle thumb I am no more.

on Twitter I just gotta say, damn it Jr. Mints, you're always a Thumb. Don't be silly!

Haven't listened to the episode yet (watching Fantastic Arcade stream at the moment), but just wanted to say Danielle seems like the raddest person ever and she was incredibly articulate, smart, and wonderful to listen to on the podcast. I started listening to "Idle Thumbs" around the time she joined (I think she became a full-fledged part a short while after I started listening), and I'm so glad that I got to hear all the episodes she was on.

Really glad to hear she will still be on a podcast that's part of the network. I give an exuberant Toad-voiced "Woo-hoooo!" to this great news. (But of course not in as great an impersonation as Danielle can do.) I will listen to it as soon as it starts, and of course in the meantime will still be reading/watching her work, as well as the great Feminist Cabal twitch stream. Best regards to you and Patricia on the East coast, Danielle! Thanks for being wicked rad!

I just gotta say, damn it Jr. Mints, you're always a Thumb. Don't be silly!

If you count the current roster of hosts on your hand* in order of appearance Danielle is literally the Thumb on the Idle hand

*assuming you start with your index finger and not counting Hot Scoops who isn't a regular host

I will continue to include Jr. Mints in future candy packages in Danielle's honor (unless I can somehow get a New York address to send them to)

RE: Child thoughts on how things work.

When I was a kid, going into at least 3rd grade, I used to think that bathroom plumping, toilets included, didn't work when the power went out.

Hi,

I've never posted before, but I just wanted to say I'm going to miss having Danielle on the cast a whole lot. However, I'm super happy that Idle Thumbs has finally managed to survive an east coast departure, and we even get another podcast out of it. So, sort-of-not-really farewell Danielle and good luck with the move!

Also, is it cool if I lovingly refer to this New York-based weekend cast as wIDLEbeast for awhile? Because, well, I'm going to.

Honestly excited for what comes next because I always need a new cast with Thumbs sensibilities. Danielle you know what I feel about cool you are. Knock em dead in New York.

Farewell Danielle!

You brought me to the podcast, but I'll stick around even with you gone.

I can't wait for the new podcast! 

Wherein I awake from my three-year dream to find that I am Jake Rodkin. "I've got to warn Nick Breckon not to move to Maryland!"

Then I awake again, to find that I am Dishonored Jake Rodkin, and it is August.

"Dishonored Jake Rodkin" is now handily my favorite callsign for you, Nick, and that's speaking as someone who loves "Nick Breedon" quite a lot.

Hi,

I've never posted before, but I just wanted to say I'm going to miss having Danielle on the cast a whole lot. However, I'm super happy that Idle Thumbs has finally managed to survive an east coast departure, and we even get another podcast out of it. So, sort-of-not-really farewell Danielle and good luck with the move!

Also, is it cool if I lovingly refer to this New York-based weekend cast as wIDLEbeast for awhile? Because, well, I'm going to.

Idle Thumbs has actually survived three East Coast departures. First it was Nick, then Chris, and now Danielle.

Which means she's totally coming back someday so I'm not even worried!

registered just to say that i wish danielle the best!  will be looking forward to hearing that new podcast.

idle thumbs is among my very favorite podcasts and i listen every week, so i'm glad it's not a total farewell!

and now that i'm here, maybe i'll even hang out on these forums as well.

Sure, you say you're splitting into two separate podcasts now, but just wait until the first crossover event and suddenly I have to listen to every episode of each just to follow the arc. 

I am glad that Junior Mints is sticking around, and none of us have to say farewell to her.

Also, I was disappointed that Nick didn't specify who was sleeping in which bed. I imagined it as:

Bed 1: Spaff, Jake, Sean

Bed 2: Nick, Chris, Danielle

Blader Runner sleeping bag on the floor: Steve Gaynor

Sad to see Danielle wake up and discover it's the weekend but looking forward to the new cast!

I like how the Thumbs realised the only way to have an organised, prepared Thumbcast was to not only rely on Danielle to do it, but also to quarantine themselves out of being on the cast.

I like how the Thumbs realised the only way to have an organised, prepared Thumbcast was to not only rely on Danielle to do it, but also to quarantine themselves out of being on the cast.

Got it in one.

Well, still sad that Danielle's leaving, but I have high hopes for new pod. Two hosts sounds a bit sparse though, so here's hoping for either plenty of guests or a third to round out the team at some point.

Nick and his dreams are getting to close to discovering the truth of his existence and reality.

We must stop him before he blows our cover, fellas.

I bet it's also weird for Nolan North and Troy Baker when people only ever remember them for their generic "regular guy" performances despite doing things like the Arkham series' Penguin or giving Destiny's Ghost an actual personality.

I bet it's also weird for Nolan North and Troy Baker when people only ever remember them for their generic "regular guy" performances despite doing things like the Arkham series' Penguin or giving Destiny's Ghost an actual personality.

Yeah I love hearing them do weird/wacky voice stuff because I think of them as Nathan Drake/Booker DeWitt (aka "90s Disney Animated Feature Male Lead" performances but in a thing ostensibly for adults).*

* that isn't to say what they do is easy or anything. I hope That was apparent on the podcast. Casting those roles in a way that sits well in the exaggerated and total-cartoon-like world those games create, but delivered in a way that helps mean you don't really notice the wackiness of it, is a specific and weird skill.