darthbator

Idle Thumbs Readers Slack & Discord

I know we've been doing the IRC thing for a while now, but in the last 3-6 months slack seems to have just totally taken over the bulk of my internet communications (especially since my long standing IRC group made the jump). Always looking for another excuse to not do work, I was wondering if there would be any interest in setting up an idle thumbs readers slack organization? Since organizations are controlled by invites I would be happy to set the org up and invite people as they PM me their email addresses here. Go ahead and sign up here! I think the tool itself is an amazing chat interface and I would love to have another organization in there where I could pop in and have some good quality game discussion!

Hey, I guess there's also discord for all your gaming and voipish needs

The only issue with Slack is that you'll eventually run up against the message limit using the free version. :(

But yeah this is a good idea, I'm in.

The only issue with Slack is that you'll eventually run up against the message limit using the free version. :(

But yeah this is a good idea, I'm in.

There's a message limit? I thought it was a room limit?

Also I'm in

Why must you destroy everything I've worked so hard to build!

Sweet, I can have a 2nd IRC program open in addition to the 1st one, skype, steam and gmail because not everyone I talk to is on every service :\

Sweet, I can have a 2nd IRC program open in addition to the 1st one, skype, steam and gmail because not everyone I talk to is on every service :\

I actually do like slack, but yeah this is the main annoying thing.

I actually do like slack, but yeah this is the main annoying thing.

But it's also an IRC? Someone could make a bot that'll copy anything in one channel and put it in the other. PROGRESS.

Does anyone know how big of a scam this is? https://discordapp.com/ I've seen it recommended by legit people but it looks nice and the website UI was great.

It is IRC at its core, yeah, much like Twitch, but it has a bunch of additional features on top, much like Twitch (although Twitch basically just adds emoji). EDIT: Well, I'm not sure if it's IRC at its core, or if it just allows a connection via IRC. Either way, same effect for us end users.

The nice thing about using Slack is maybe it would encourage CERTAIN PEOPLE I'M LOOKING AT YOU KEY FRAMES PODCAST HOSTS to use it on the reg.

But anyway as long as I retain the power I have (i.e.  I can change the topic at my whim 'cause that's pretty much all I ever use that power for), I'm good. ):<

---

I've heard people praise Discord, too! I never looked into it. It seems nice on the surface, though, yeah.

There's a message limit? I thought it was a room limit?

Also I'm in

Z4044qU.png?1

Yeah, once your slack goes over the limit, older messages get archived away and become unreadable. Might not be a problem for this specific purpose; it's just something worth knowing as it's a problem I'm dealing with at the moment.

Oh if that's all the problem is then who cares. Haha 10k messages is a LOT.

Oh if that's all the problem is then who cares. Haha 10k messages is a LOT.

It seems like a lot, but it only took ~5 of us to reach the limit after around 14-15 months. I'd imagine that this group would burn through it a lot faster.

As long as we go into it without the expectation of having a fully searchable/browsable history, then it will be fine. Just offering a heads up.

I really need to know what Twig was complaining about 7 months ago, so this message limit thing is kind of a big deal.

wow

wow

it's true tho i do complain a lot ):

It seems like a lot, but it only took ~5 of us to reach the limit after around 14-15 months. I'd imagine that this group would burn through it a lot faster.

As long as we go into it without the expectation of having a fully searchable/browsable history, then it will be fine. Just offering a heads up.

How often do you need to look back on the logs from even a week ago.

I never do, even though I've consistently locally stored all my IRC communication since like a decade ago...

It is IRC at its core, yeah, much like Twitch, but it has a bunch of additional features on top, much like Twitch (although Twitch basically just adds emoji). EDIT: Well, I'm not sure if it's IRC at its core, or if it just allows a connection via IRC. Either way, same effect for us end users.

The nice thing about using Slack is maybe it would encourage CERTAIN PEOPLE I'M LOOKING AT YOU KEY FRAMES PODCAST HOSTS to use it on the reg.

But anyway as long as I retain the power I have (i.e.  I can change the topic at my whim 'cause that's pretty much all I ever use that power for), I'm good. ):<

---

I've heard people praise Discord, too! I never looked into it. It seems nice on the surface, though, yeah.

My friends started using Discord a month ago and never looked back. I think it is way ahead of Skype, Mumble, and Teamspeak.

How often do you need to look back on the logs from even a week ago.

I never do, even though I've consistently locally stored all my IRC communication since like a decade ago...

Not often, honestly. It has recently been the cause of a handful of inconvenient situations for us though. Lately we've been looking to move to an alternative like RocketChat.

All of that aside, I think Slack is great.