darthbator

Idle Thumbs Readers Slack & Discord

I would be a proponent of disabling giphy outside of the gif channel thing.

I like that giphy exists. I turned off the auto preview for all images/tweets/links though, not because of giphy but instead i was tired of youtube videos and stuff absorbing so much space.

I like that giphy exists. I turned off the auto preview for all images/tweets/links though, not because of giphy but instead i was tired of youtube videos and stuff absorbing so much space.

didnt even know you could do that; thanks for the heads up

could we disable giphy outside of gif-chat and have the best of both worlds?

i would be okay with this. even with everything set to auto-hide the doodad whatchermajig, the actual loading of giphy gifs still causes some lag in the chat and it's annoying.

And I've joined! Maybe this will help me be more active than I have been on here.

I don't know anything about Slack but Discord is really easy to get into. You can just share one link and anybody with access to that link can join the server through their web browser. It's pretty slick.

The nice thing about slack is that it's something that a lot of people just tend to have open for other purposes anyways. It's a nice kind of side channel I think (also it's easy to get into and there's a way to automate the sign up process). 

I would actually love to get a Discord group as well. While my IRC friends are all heading into slack a bunch of my gaming friends are now on discord. 

Well that's pretty easy I'll put the link for this in the top thread as well. 

https://discord.gg/0beO5YmLScBp2XsF

(I think it would've made more sense to just do Discord from the start, but I actually only learned about it like immediately after the Slack blew up, haha.)

I actually like slack more as a chat platform. They a have a reasonable API and highlight service integrations and stuff. For things like Wizard Jam that will actually probably be pretty useful. Discord is more for voice chatting and games stuff?

It's insane you can't link your steam to this. Oh they have some black magic that can see what game is running...

Also it doesn't have giphy so it's like immediately inferior right... 

fuck giphy it is literally satan

We don't need integrations! Discord has everything we need, plus more!

fuck giphy it is literally satan

I've done some deep research into this topic and discovered that Twig is, for once, completely correct.

I created an extra channel for sports on the idle thumbs readers slack because I know some people do not like them! Come talk to me about basketball! Or talk about the world series, if you managed to stay awake!

That was maybe the most beautiful and incredible and sublime experience of my entire life.

I was dying at work I could not contain my laughter, oh man.