darthbator

Idle Thumbs Readers Slack & Discord

I'll take an invite. My username at idlethumbs.net. But also, you can make slacks open for anyone to join, which might save you a lot of hassle in processing invites.

I'll take an invite. My username at idlethumbs.net. But also, you can make slacks open for anyone to join, which might save you a lot of hassle in processing invites.

How do I go about doing that? Just wildcard (*) in the "allow signups from domain" option in the management panel. I dug through the settings last night and couldn't seem to find an option for "open enrollment". I sent out more invites. I'll update the initial post once I figure out how to properly open this up.

worse than irc

5616675+_9042ec39068e27ad927e100669b736f

Translators note I like doing unnecessary work.

Also gifs may be a danger with the IdleThumbs crowd.

So turns out there's a little nodejs app that will automate the process for us. You can go ahead and sign up yourself with the link in the first post if I haven't invited you already!

Just chiming in to say that Discord is quite excellent. Text and voice chat built into one tidy client, embedded images/links, and it shows what you're playing like Steam (in-game overlay is on their to-do list). All it really needs is more options, or to be more open to modification. For instance, the amount of whitespace between messages is kind of excessive, makes it a pain to catch up with chat when many people are talking. But hey, it's early days and the devs seem onto it.

Anyway, I guess I'll go ahead and join this since I always forget to join the IRC channel.

Fake edit: lol, this app looks exactly like Discord. Which came first?

I believe slack came first. A lot of their popularity at the moment is derived from the fact that most offices are switching their office messaging to slack and away from stuff like hip chat and jabber. Makes it convenient to just "add another channel" for any number of things. That's actually why I ended up starting this. I end up just having slack open all the time anyways. 

How is the mobile app?  I don't really have time to do it at home and getting on my work computer isn't an option.

I like the app. It's less finicky than the browser version, although it still sucks typing on a virtual keyboard and the channel's occasional gif-fests look like nonsense (but how is that any different, hey).

The phone app is pretty solid. The only drawback I'd call out is that the button to bring you to the last read message is very finicky. But that might not matter to you if you're not keen so see all the chat, all the time.

Switching teams (if you also use Slack for work) is a bit of a bother on the iOS app, but other than that it's fine!

slack is hot trash everyone go back to irc

bonus: no gifs!

slack is hot trash everyone go back to irc

bonus: no gifs!

Slack is hot stuff no one should go back to IRC.

Bonus: All the gifs!