Sign in to follow this  
rzbone

[DevLog] Space Boxing!

I recently started on an Asteroids\Splatoon inspired local multiplayer game where players fly ships around a battlefield using gravitational munitions to push and pull asteroids in an attempt to smash the other players. I'm a few weeks in and have something reasonably playable.

Pretty much you shoot asteroids which break up and are painted by the explosions of your missiles. Asteroid bits that you've painted cannot hurt you but will hurt the other players. You have two types of missiles: implosive and explosive. The explosive ones apply outwards forces from the point of detonation and the implosive ones apply inwards forces at the point of detonation. You can shoot one of each at any one time and can detonate them on command. Bits you've painted can be painted by the other players and vice versa so they're always a chance to save yourself from impending doom. 

Currently asteroids are just sphere's and asteroid bits are cubes, but that'll change eventually. I've got up to 4 players configured control-wise but I've only got 2 controllers to test with at the moment so there's only two players in the world. Just today I began working on keeping track of game state, who's alive or dead and that kind of thing, so there's still a bunch to do, not even mentioning things like menus and balance. Anyways I'll probably update this weekly as more progress is made.

If you guys are interested in play testing, please let me know as I'd love some feedback. 

Finally, here are some gifs!

Here's some gameplay:

post-28112-0-68839100-1443408545_thumb.gif

This one is a silly experiment where I made missiles exert forces around them for the duration of their lives rather than just on detonation.

post-28112-0-87711000-1443408553_thumb.gif

This looks really neat! I'm a big arcade game fan, so this sort of thing is up my alley. 

Sign me up for playtesting! I can normally drum up at least one other player, but possibly 2 more around the house for something like this. Let me know what contact info you need and I'll send you a PM.

Great! You can just send me your email and I can send you a build every once in awhile. Looking forward to your feedback!