Sign in to follow this  
Rob Zacny

Episode 322: Wing Leader

Three Moves Ahead 322:

779__header.jpg

Wing Leader

Bruce and Troy "I really made a Messerschmitt" Goodfellow are joined by noted game designer Lee Brimmicombe-Wood to talk about Lee's new game, Wing Leader. Wing Leader is a side-view aerial combat game that allows players to simulate different weather conditions and air combat scenarios.

Wing Leader

How approachable is this game for new players? I bought Downtown a few years ago and while it had a neat design, it was also a bit overwhelming.

How approachable is this game for new players? I bought Downtown a few years ago and while it had a neat design, it was also a bit overwhelming.

Wing Leader is much, much more approachable than Downtown.  Not just because of the rules, but because of the fact that there are many fewer moving parts.

I don't know what it is about Lee, but I find listening to him very enjoyable. Now I want to delve back into the archives and download the previous episode in which you discussed Bomber Command, and listen to it again. I hope you have him back next year after Wing Leader Supremacy is released.

Great show! I kept waiting for someone to slip up and call it Wing Commander but you all did well!

Another game that used the side-scrolling mechanic is Phil Eklund's Luftschiff- a solitaire game about German zeppelin bombing in WWI. Instead of the ground being fixed and the planes moving, the Zep is fixed while planes and terrain move past it as it travels.

Looking forward to giving this one a try once my pile-of-shame is cleared out a bit.

I don't know what it is about Lee, but I find listening to him very enjoyable. Now I want to delve back into the archives and download the previous episode in which you discussed Bomber Command, and listen to it again. I hope you have him back next year after Wing Leader Supremacy is released.

Lee is a wonderful guest and I don't think anyone out there is better at turning air war history into interesting boardgame mechanics. And that voice...

Discovered 3MA at Episode 298, and have been following (and catching up; up to Episode 60) ever since.  And I blame 3MA wholly for the sudden explosion in my Steam library.

... and now with this episode, a corresponding growth in my board-gaming collection and P500 orders.  My wallet cries 'Uncle'!    :o

Listening to 3MA is very much like talking about games with friends, and I love that.  And Wing Leader sure looks great on that shelf!